• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Return of the Canal Street Streetcar

For streetcar history buffs, enthusiasts and expatriates, April 18th marked the return of the Canal Street streetcar line in New Orleans. The streetcars were replaced with buses in 1964. It's taken quite a while, but the line is finally open and running quite well. BEK and I were among the fortunate who were able to ride the streetcar prior to its official opening.

Hopefully, this will be the catalyst to reopening other former streetcar lines throughout the city as well as establishing the much-discussed and needed light rail transit system.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I'm really excited for all of you over in New Orleans! I hope this can serve as a building block for more revitalization nearby. I'm looking forward to visiting and taking a ride sometime this summer. Congrats!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
A new perspective of familiar N.O. sights and landmarks is truly experienced and appreciated when riding the new streetcars along the new routes. I'm excited that this additional and very worthwhile means of mass transit is in operation because of:

- the beautiful ride itself;
- the sustaining of this aspect of the Big Easy's culture;
- the residual effects of land use redevelopment and new land use development that are occurring along the new streetcar lines.

New Orleans deserves props for this major accomplishment!

:)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
passdoubt said:
Awesome... now they just need to put back the St. Claude (Desire) line.
The N.O. Regional Transit Authority intends to do so and time will tell when it occurs.

Rumpy Tunanator said:
Good for N.O., were most of the tracks still intact?
Nope. They had to start from scratch and had encountered several delays because they had to relocate underground water and gas lines. Most of the ROW had been converted into a neutral ground (N.O. term for median) with grass and trees. The downtown portion of the ROW was used as an exclusive busway for the Canal St. buses.

This website has a lot of information about the line's history.