• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The skeletons in your cd rack...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay... I was just admiring Elmo's work at reorganizing our ever-growing cd collection, and I noticed that there were a few in there that I don't know why I hang on to... but for some reason I do. You know... those catchy tunes that you are ashamed to like because you know they are formulaic or maudlin, but you like them anyway. Well what are those cds in your collection that make you avert your eyes when you see a friend's gaze catch the embarassing title while browsing the cd rack?

We've all expounded on the brilliance of radiohead, the stone roses and countless bluegrass people that I've never heard of... so we'll all retain our collective cool. Time to 'fess up!

(And even if we've done it before, I don't care... it's time to do it again ;) )

JNL

Cyburbian
Shouldn't you start things off nerudite?? Get the ball rolling.. share a few skeletons of your own...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay... I'll start the confessions:

Smash mouth -- Fush yu mang. Yeah, a lot of the songs are formulaic (especially the catchy "walking on the sun"). But I liked it anyway.

Blancmange -- Second Helpings. Okay, I'm lucky here... because almost nobody knows who they are. But those that do are probably rolling their eyes. Not only do I own this album, but three other cds, and uh.... maybe 15 different lps that are down in the basement. Think of a sappy 80s synth-band like, ABC or A Flock of Seagulls...and that's along the same lines as Blanchmange.

Lemonheads -- It's A Shame About Ray. This album screams "chick rock". And Evan Dando is about as close to a chick as a guy can be.

The B52s -- Cosmic Thing. I thought this was mine, but I guess it's really Elmo's. I've owned it at some time in my life, and there's a copy in my cd rack right now, so I'm counting it anyway. This is the one that makes me wince from time to time.

Oh yeah... and just for JNL, I own a bunch of music by the Chills. Most of the people I've played them for didn't like them, but I don't know how they are in NZ.

Other albums (lps) I own, that I've kept: Def Leppard (Hysteria), countless Depeche Mode albums, some Duran Duran stuff... ugh... just tons of 80s synth-trash.

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Shouldn't you start things off nerudite?? Get the ball rolling.. share a few skeletons of your own...
Jeez... I was working on it.... Boring Monday at work? ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Jeez... I was working on it.... Boring Monday at work? ;)
Yeah it's first thing Monday morning here and I'm on Cyburbia... probably because I just uploaded all the photos off my camera and wanted to share some of them here - my literature review of pedestrian issues has got me all fired up about pedestrian design.

Anyway back to the current topic:
I don't think you should be embarassed about smash mouth or the lemonheads - I don't own the CDs but some of their stuff is okay.

CDs I hide at the bottom of the rack include Savage Garden, Lisa Loeb, and Bush.

Oh and I had to ask a workmate who the Chills were and he goes "They're a classic Kiwi band!" so I asked what stuff they did and he was like "um...the leather jacket song.. can't remember any others"

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Oh and I had to ask a workmate who the Chills were and he goes "They're a classic Kiwi band!" so I asked what stuff they did and he was like "um...the leather jacket song.. can't remember any others"
Ask if I should be embarassed of owning those cds. ;) They are in the "catchy pop-rock" kind of category in my mind.

JNL

Cyburbian
Owning them is not a cause of embarassment. Playing them would be :) That stuff is old....

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Let's go straight to the meaning of major embarrassment. I still have a turntable and all my old albums, out in plain view. Thank god I have the 45's hidden...

OK, I guess it could be worse, since I don't have any 8-tracks around.

What old/embarrassing stuff lurks here: Elton John, soundtrack from "Lilo and Stitch" (CD), the Eagles, Bruce, Carly Simon.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The junk does not collect for long on my CD rack. It has been a long time since I bought one, courtesy of WinMX (downloading for educational purposes only). ;) The old CD's get sent off to the library or traded.

And just what is wrong with the B-52's?

donk

Cyburbian
Nothing real embarrassing in either my vinyl collection or CD collection.

Some 80's greatest hits by ktel might be the worst things in there.

I did not really start buying CD's until I got out of university and am mostly working on recreating my album collection of things I really like.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Like Stumph, I've rid myself of most of my CD's and tapes after the advent of "file sharing." ;)

Most embarassing one that I hung on to:

Huey Lewis and The News - Sports. Sentimental reasons....it was the first album I bought myself (along with The Cars - Heartbeat City
).

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have 700 or so cds, so there are plenty of skeletons.

I have the previously mentioned Lemonheads, Smashmouth, and B-52s

Motley Crue: Decade of Decadance
Puff Daddy: No Way Out - I bought it for one song, and the rest of it sucks.
Blink 182, Green Day, and New Found Glory - They are totally cheesy mall punk for teens, yet I own every release. I feel embarassed listening to them in my car with the windows down.
Stone Temple Pilots - Core (The only redemption is that I traded a guy the Proclaimers CD for this)
I know there are a lot more, I just need to think about it for a bit.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Most of my CDs were bought in the mid-90s when, as a university student, I seemed to have more disposable income than I do now...

I haven't really looked at my CDs much lately, so the only one off the top of my head that I'd really be embarrassed to admit I have is:

Don Henley's Greatest Hits.

SGB

Cyburbian
My skeletons are mostly in the form of 1980's extended remix LP's. Some examples:

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
Duran Duran - The Reflex
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax w/ War on B side

I don't know why I still have these. Maybe they'll be worth something other than recycling material some day....

ecofem

Cyburbian
I'm sure there are many more lurking in the cd rack, but the only ones I can think of now are:

Information Society - self-titled *and* "Hack"

Stereo MCs - "Connected"

Anybody wanna trade?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Mine
Guess Who's Greatest Hits
Pat Boone - In a Metal Mood

Flock of Seagulls Greatest Hits
I used to have a lot of cheesy 80's rock stuff (Stryper, Dokken)

Ours
Linear
LLCool J - Walking Like a Panther
Slick Rick

Weird Al Yankovich - Amish Paradise
Army of Lovers

As a gag gift my wife once got me an album by "Michael Boloton" - Michael Bolton before he de-ethnitized himself.

I don't feel too ashamed of any of my cd's, but Rob REFUSES to trade any of his out, including all of his Poison, Loverboy, and other 80's pretty boy pseudo metal cds. I'm also not too thrilled about owning EVERY SINGLE John Mellencamp CD, as well as an extensive Rod Stewart collection.

And I LOVE my lisa loeb CD! (Should i be admitting this? is she uncool? :) )

Jeff

Cyburbian
I have hundreds of "skeleton" in the CD rack but the ones I can think of right off the bat .... New Edition.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
I have hundreds of "skeleton" in the CD rack but the ones I can think of right off the bat .... New Edition.
I heard "Candy Girl" again recently and there is something creepy about little boys singing about how they're in love and how their girl is so fine and like candy.
I guess I should stay away from Lil Bow Wow.

Queen B

Cyburbian
I don't think I can even play in this game with you.
Most of the thing you guys have listed at least I recognize the names.
I have Chanting monks and Zamphier and his magnifcient pan flute.

I went through a period in my life that was really stressful and I thought mood music would help.
Getting the children raise and changing husbands helped more.

So do my skeletons beat your or what!!!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I am the proud and unrepentent owner of almost every Cure cd ever made. What isn't on CD is on tape--mostly those neon-colored Memorex tapes that have been taped over so many times they have White-Out on the labels and Ministry bleeds through "Charlotte Sometimes" every now and then...Less proud, however, of owning most of the Green Day CD's. What can I say, it was a phase.
And yes, I had dyed-black hair in high school. Ah, those were the days.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
In no partilcular order:

C&C Music Factory
Salt n Pepa
808 State (techno)
Meat Beat Manifesto
Bronski Beat
Henry Rollins
Communards

Basically, '80s stuff.

donk

Cyburbian
Weird Al Yankovich - Amish Paradise
I have most of Weird Al's album's on vinyl. I am not embarassed about owning any of them, then again the older ones are much better then the new ones.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Maybe I'm just in denial that I occasionally have poor taste, but I can't think of any CDs I have that are truly embarrassing. There are some that I never listen to from my past - boring live CDs from drippy guys like Billy Joel, Eric Clapton or Van Morrisson so I guess those are the worst.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Since I recently reorganized the cd rack, I can safely say that there is a place for every cheese, and every cheese is now in its place. Some of these include:

Duran Duran - Notorious
Original Soundtrack from Batman (first movie) - mostly Prince songs
Journey - Greatest Hits

Cassettes that I own are even more revealing...
Footloose Soundtrack
Platinum Blonde

And on vinyl:

Hall and Oates - Big Bam Boom
Twisted Sister

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Chet said:
In no partilcular order:

808 State (techno)
Meat Beat Manifesto

Basically, '80s stuff.
Nothing wrong with those, really. I would reccomend seing 808 State in concert to cure your previously mentioned insomnia. Meat Beat was awesome! They just re-issed some of their earlier works like Storm The Studio and Armed Audio Warfare.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Chet said:
In no partilcular order:

C&C Music Factory
Salt n Pepa
808 State (techno)
Meat Beat Manifesto
Bronski Beat
Henry Rollins
Communards

Basically, '80s stuff.

Those are some really great albums though...

I have a CD made by Traci Lords (yes the "actress") and I actually like it. There is one creepy song on there, but otherwise....

Tommy James and the Shondells.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Chet said:
In no partilcular order:
808 State (techno)
Meat Beat Manifesto
I agree... these aren't bad. MBM's 10 x Faster than the speed of love is an awesome song.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo Man said:
I would reccomend seing 808 State in concert to cure your previously mentioned insomnia. Meat Beat was awesome!
I saw 808 and Meat Beat both in one show together at the Rave, I think in 1993. There was 1 other band with them, I wish I could remember who it was.

That concert will stick in my mind forever though - a friend of mine jumped up to get crowd passed and the people there were very clique-ish. When they realised they didnt know him, they all just dropped their arms and walked away. He landed flat on his back on the concrete and had they wind knocked out of him. One of the funniest things I've ever seen at a concert!

ecofem

Cyburbian
I saw MBM a couple of times with Consolidated (anybody remember them? activist group from San Fran)... good show. Very funny to think about.... ah... memories.

nerudite

Cyburbian
ecofem said:
I saw MBM a couple of times with Consolidated (anybody remember them? activist group from San Fran)... good show. Very funny to think about.... ah... memories.
An ex-boyfriend counted the MGM/Consolidated show in Saratoga, NY as the best in his life. I have never seen either, but I like both bands (what I've heard of them).

donk

Cyburbian
One of the funniest things I've ever seen at a concert!
Might be time for a new thread, but I'll add my funniest thing at a concert here(not alcohol or drug induced).

Went and saw The Cramps at the Old Masonic Temple in Toronto (88 or 89). A guy dressed in a black leather jacket, covered in steel plate jumped up onto the stage. Lux Interior, dressed in stiletto heels and a latex speedo, told the band to stop the music then clocked the guy with a half full wine bottle. The crowd then passed the half concious goof around until he started to kick and fight then he was dropped to the ground and stomped. It was funny and scary at the same time.

Nemesis

First of all, stop Duran Duran and Frankie Goes to Hollywood on the list - they still hold up.
I have a complete Pet Shop Boys collection that should be gone. I noticed a Swing out Sister CD behind a drawer this weekend. Still poking around I found a single of Steve Martin..King Tut, others include....Sound Tracks of such ilk as Flashdance, Disco Starwars, (truly awful and on vinyl) and soundtrack from Nine and half weeks. Yeah, keep your hat on folks. Men without hats, Tom Tom Club, Wham.. God I have some bad stuff luriking....

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I'am glad I missed the 80's!
did not have a stereo in either car or apt and no cable either.
probably I was too cheap/poor or just didn't give a d***.

SGB

Cyburbian
Nemesis said:
First of all, stop Duran Duran and Frankie Goes to Hollywood on the list - they still hold up.
Alright, I'll keep Frankie (sorry DD) if you hang on to Tom Tom Club. :)

Mods: Please move to "skeletons" thread.

Done! Tranplanner

Last edited:

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I saw 808 and Meat Beat both in one show together at the Rave, I think in 1993. There was 1 other band with them, I wish I could remember who it was.
I also saw them on that tour and cannot for the life of me remember the third band. I consider that to be one of the great industrial/techno shows I have seen. Nitzer Ebb in 1991 was a pretty great show as well. Yes, I wore a lot of black.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I tend to buy only the cds I want, but there's always the misfortunate gifts :p Also there are a few that I like for a while, and then just died off...

crappy cd's I'd never hear again, but own and have hidden in the dark pits of the cd rack: (the few that come to mind)
-Ace of Base
-MJ - History
- Erasure (I think I had fun with this POS and played frisbee with it ;))

The few that I liked for a while and are now just in the process of being completely covered in dust:
-Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
-Beastie Boys - Licensed to ill
-Korn - issues

That's it...

PS: I have become aware that this thread is in direct copyright violation of SkeLeton™ , hence I plead that you cease and desist from using my trade marked nickname in your thread name. If you do not comply within 14 days I will sue.

:D ;)