• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The snow is all gone

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Twenty-four hours ago: 4 inches of snow still on the ground

Now: All melted except for a few piles along the driveways

Rain and steady tempeatures in the upper 40s have done it all in.

I thought this snow would last through all of January, but it looks like were going to have a "green" New Years.

How much snow is still left where you live?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
its mostly gone here but still some shady areas have a patch or two

id rather not see it anymore for quite some time

I'd say we still have about a foot and a half - we had a bit of an ice storm last night, and this morning we're at 37 degrees, so we're *just* starting to melt. not to worry - they say we're getting more snow this week! woo hoo!

Jen

Cyburbian
snow is gone, and there are puddles of water on the lake ice. Tonight it should drop to about 15F so we may have killer ice skating ice if the precipt holds off.

I hope it gets way below freezing.

kms

Cyburbian
No more snow here. Today is sunny and mid 50's. The temps will drop beginning tomorrow and more snow is on the way. We'll enjoy today and be thankful.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
It finally started snowing here. In the last 24 hours we got about 15", and it's still snowing. The ski area says that they have received 50" in the last seven days, but here in town, we've probably gotten half of that in the same period.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We just got snow a few days ago... it was a brown Christmas, so I'm happy it's white out now! I think almost anything is better than dead grass.

donk

Cyburbian
I am fearing going home, I left before the christmas day storm. I am expecting at least an hour of shoveling to be able to get the car into the driveway and clearing the porch off.

The good news is that the ski trails will be nicely track set.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
It may be gone for some, but we still have it and more is falling as I type. After a check of Cat's weather page, my forecast calls for:

"Total accumulation...10 to 20 inches."

:)

Doesn't look much better for you Kelly.

NHPlanner said:

Doesn't look much better for you Kelly.
no... it really doesn't. it is snowing pretty hard here right now, but i'm actually kind of looking forward towards being snowed in this weekend! we've already cancelled our office holiday party, so saturday is free. woo hoo!

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
We got a couple of inches last week. It's been snowing with flurries for the past two days. No accumulation though.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Damn I miss the snow.... I loved it when I went to the US in the 90s (2 years), of course, snow is quite a pleasure when you're 6. :p If it snows a lot (happened one year) schools close!
Where I live, I rarely see any snow at all (too much water, and too close to the sea, plus it never gets so cold to snow). Since I came back from the US ('92) it has only snowed once here. If I want to see snow i have to go up to the mountains that are like 80 miles away. You probably envy me now, because here it's summer, but it may be summer but it still rains some days (here it rains all year long).

Well, we did get hit pretty hard with a ton of snow, and it is still coming. But i couldn't care less - i get to stay in today and play on my new computer that came last night! woo hoo! sadly though, a couple of our 15' high arbor vitae in our privacy hedge are not faring so well with the 2 inches of ice, covered with 2 feet of snow. sigh.

Jen

Cyburbian
Think Snow

Wow some of you all are getting butt loads of snow - Bring it on i say!

Here we have a couple inches of powder over bare ground right now, we did have excellent skating conditions with no sweeping or hosing down required. I wonder if a dble bladed skate is made for adult beginners? Yes, moi. Iam a Floridian remember? I am shaky on ice!

NHPlanner

Staff member
Yeah...we've still got snow....snowed all weekend. Hey Guap...want a reason I haven't used the sauces yet..... :)

SGB

Cyburbian
The Ithaca, NY region got about 15" of snow on Friday through Saturday.

It's gorgeous outside, and makes me long for the days when I did current planning and could do project site visits in my snowshoes!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We had a light duting over the weekend but my GREEN grass is still poking through!

Oh, these rough Wisconsin winters....

Well, in the last week, albany has gotten more than 40 inches. our department has a retired police cruiser and a jeep, so this afternoon i'm out to dig them both out. again. sigh.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Talk about nutty... we have snow on the ground, but it will be all slushy and gross this afternoon, since it will be 55F today. I have no idea what this nutty weather is all about... but I'll take it! It will be back down below 32F by Thursday. :(

donk

Cyburbian
I have no idea what this nutty weather is all about...
It is the winter chinook. It is the warm air from the pacific ocean, "jumping" over the rockies to ALTA. It is like this almost every year from what the news and grade 10 Canadian geography class tells us.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
nerudite said:
Talk about nutty... we have snow on the ground, but it will be all slushy and gross this afternoon, since it will be 55F today. I have no idea what this nutty weather is all about... but I'll take it! It will be back down below 32F by Thursday. :(
Nobody 'splained to you about the "Chinooks"?

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:

It is the winter chinook. It is the warm air from the pacific ocean, "jumping" over the rockies to ALTA. It is like this almost every year from what the news and grade 10 Canadian geography class tells us.
Yeah, from what I hear the chinook is really a Calgary thing. And it happens a lot down there. They are calling this warm front a "pineapple express", which is a low that starts somewhere out by Hawaii and brings a bunch of nice warm, humid air to us. Works for me... although my newly washed car is already covered in mud from the melting snow and sand on the roads.

NHPlanner

Staff member
I can only wish it was melting away.... :)

From my local newspaper (www.concordmonitor.com)

And it doesn't show signs of stopping

Still, some say let it snow, let it snow
By DANIEL BARRICK
Monitor staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those Granite Staters already sick of shoveling, skidding and shivering through the winter, forecasters have some bad news: This is just the beginning.

More than 50 inches of snow have already pounded central and southern New Hampshire. And weather conditions - including a cold jet stream sweeping down from Canada - indicate that we can expect plenty more in the coming weeks.

The 53 inches of snow that have fallen on Concord this winter is nearly halfway to the record total for one season: 113 inches, set in 1995-1996. Saturday's 17-inch snowfall also set a record for a single day in Concord. At that rate, breaking the seasonal record is looking more and more likely, forecasters said.

Meteorologists blame the wet winter on several factors. An unusually wet autumn, as well as constant cold gusts from the northwest, have kept the flakes falling, said Mark Tobris, a forecaster at Accuweather. And driving jet streams will only keep that cold air hovering above New England for the rest of the winter. Forecasters predicted cold temperatures today and tomorrow, with snowstorms starting up again tomorrow evening and into Wednesday and Thursday.

Of course, readers of the Old Farmer's Almanac had a head start on the rest of us. The 2002-03 edition warned New Englanders of above-average precipitation this winter, with the heaviest snowfalls in January and February. And if you were hoping the worst was behind us, take note: "Watch for a major blizzard the second week of February," the almanac warns.

Despite the cold forecasts, not everyone is praying for spring.

"This is nothing, this isn't brutal at all," said Tim Frankel of Penacook, scoffing at the winter whiners. "I'm from Niagara Falls. You have to expect this if you're in New England."

As Frankel hacked at a two-inch block of ice in his driveway,

his daughters Megan, 14, and Ariel, 11, showed off the igloo they had built.

Their golden retriever, Comet, dashed in and out of the fort's entrance, enjoying the powder as much as anyone.

Local ski resorts couldn't be happier. The crowd at Pats Peak in Henniker was the biggest in the resort's history. More than 3,000 skiers took to the trails, one-third more than usual, resort employees said. Visitors parked as far as a mile away and packed the cafeteria and crowded lift lines all afternoon, enjoying the fresh powder and smooth runs.

"It's incredible. We're running out of rental equipment," said Doug Peel, the resort's marketing director. "We could have used a few more ski instructors, too."

But given the snowy forecast for the remaining winter months, Peel wasn't complaining: "The future looks great," he said.

And at Ragged Mountain in Danbury all 50 trails were open for business.

"We're having a great winter," said resort owner Al Endrianus. "Bring it on!"

Not everybody headed to the hills to enjoy the storm's results. Linda Hopper of Hopkinton decided to shop for snowshoes. Far from dreading the snow, she was embracing it.

"I'm looking for new ways to enjoy going outside," she said, as she browsed the aisles in Eastern Mountain Sports in Concord yesterday afternoon. "After Saturday, I just had to do it." The snowshoes are a birthday gift for her husband: a pair for each of them. Upon hearing predictions for more storms, Hopper was ecstatic.

"Let it come," she said. "I want to get use out of my snowshoes."

Allie Mock, trailmaster for the Kearsarge Trail Snails Snowmobile Club in Warner spent much of the day grooming paths for fellow snowmobilers.

"There's ice on the tree limbs and plenty of snow," he said. "We're in pretty good shape for the rest of the winter and very excited. It'll be a busy two months."

While some found enjoyment in the snow, others saw opportunity. Plow drivers have had one of their most lucrative winters in recent memory, with calls for help coming nearly every day.

"The last two winters have been kind of slim," said one local plow driver. "But this year it's been so busy, I can't get to them all."