• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Daily things 5️⃣ The Sunday Afternoon Club

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Junior is currently in cub scouts (well, he'll be ascending to Webelo this fall if he stays with it) and his den leader has a uniform.
As the Tiger leader for our troop, I, too, have a uniform shirt.

BSA is good for the young boys, but the organization (BSA) in general is a bit full of it's self. :r:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Den leaders wear the uniform basically to be an example to the kids- "I'm not going to ask you to do anything I won't do."

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
if you are / were a Scout Leader like I was - cool & respected is wearing the earned red, white & blue square knot over your left pocket.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
if you are / were a Scout Leader like I was - cool & respected is wearing the earned red, white & blue square knot over your left pocket.

I had to look that one up and was unaware of any of these awards.

*I made it to webelos and that's it.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Wow. The stories I heard about our local government on the golf course yesterday from my playing partners. Amazing. I need to start looking for employment elsewhere. That's not a bad thing. I need to leave this hick town. 8-!

Planit

Cyburbian
Made it home from the Windy City. Great time, and I'm so glad the girls got to go. The Girl was totally impressed & said the Cloud Gate (bean) & Crown Fountian was her favorites. Mrs. P said she really enjoyed Wrigley. I'm a lucky Planner man.

BTW-the city & AIA are doing a whole Daniel Burnham 1909 Plan thing. Look into it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Made it home from the Windy City. Great time, and I'm so glad the girls got to go. The Girl was totally impressed & said the Cloud Gate (bean) & Crown Fountian was her favorites. Mrs. P said she really enjoyed Wrigley. I'm a lucky Planner man.

BTW-the city & AIA are doing a whole Daniel Burnham 1909 Plan thing. Look into it.

Despite the politics of the City and the weather, I love Chicago. Thanks for the heads up. I will have to look into the plan.

Richmond Jake

Based on this morning's observation, it appears my gastrointestinal system does not completely process crushed red bell pepper.

kms

Cyburbian
Every time I thought I could load by bicycle and ride, it rained. Instead, I cooked a lot of food.

DVD

Cyburbian
Went out to the mini lake in town. Kids caught a big tadpole and a small frog. I now have a nice aquarium for Hoppy and Tadolina along with a couple happy kids.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
For part of Sunday, I drank a beer, ate a brat, and watched the 1st quarter of the Green Bay / Chicago game while waiting for my plane n the Green Bay Airport. Everyone in the restaurant at the airport was on the flight with me.

The Chicago PD inside of O'Hare did not find my Packer's sweatshirt or my Redwings had quite acceptable, but let me pass anyways. (They were good natured about it and noticed more packers shirts in O'Hare that day than Bears shirts.)

kms

Cyburbian
I cooked dinner for my kids, Mom, sisters and families. Roast beef, roast chicken, potatoes au gratin, green beans and home made applesauce served warm. The applesauce was the favorite and is gone. Everyone ate well and appreciated it, and my sisters cleaned up. I try to cook a meal for my mom every week, but don't spend much time with my sisters. I'm glad I invited them.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Did some work from home after dinner, then went to the bar to watch the Packer Game. One of my buddies posted a video of my Tough Mudder adventure last weekend on Facebook.

Last weekend also got me pondering on the past. There are a few things that I messed up on and I wonder what my life would be like if I got those moments rights.

I also have been struggling with miniskis. He will go from being the most respectful young man to a disrespectful little $h/t. Let's just say he is grounded from his books and tv unless it is required for school.

kms

Cyburbian
Did some work from home after dinner, then went to the bar to watch the Packer Game. One of my buddies posted a video of my Tough Mudder adventure last weekend on Facebook.

Last weekend also got me pondering on the past. There are a few things that I messed up on and I wonder what my life would be like if I got those moments rights.

I also have been struggling with miniskis. He will go from being the most respectful young man to a disrespectful little $h/t. Let's just say he is grounded from his books and tv unless it is required for school.

Why would you deny him books? You could break a nice reading habit. I don't remember how old he is, but isn't there anything else you can take away from him?

My kids also went through this phase. Be consistent, pick your battles and don't over-react. He'll be fine.

Now, back to Sunday afternoon.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Why would you deny him books? You could break a nice reading habit. I don't remember how old he is, but isn't there anything else you can take away from him?

My kids also went through this phase. Be consistent, pick your battles and don't over-react. He'll be fine.

I don't know, grounding a kid from books might border on genius too. Think about it, we usually dole out punishments depriving kids of things they value.... no tv for the next two days...no playing with friends for the next week...no dessert, etc. By depriving a kid of non-school books you have made books forbidden fruit. And that fruit is the tastiest, most desirable/enticing/tempting and enjoyable there is, you know.

Yesterday when Junior started to get out of hand, I threatened to not let him mow the lawn. He was horrified and pleaded with me not to impose that punishment..

michaelskis

Cyburbian

He is only 6 but books are to him what video games are to many other kids. We have to remind him multiple times to turn off his light and go to bed. In the morning, he will come out and join me on the porch in the morning and read his books while I read mine. And he doesn't just read them, but studies them. He takes notes on them, draws pictures based on what he is learning in them, and will even make his over versions of books that he likes. (mostly animal related right now)

I don't think it will break his reading habit as it is more of an addiction right now. He gets his book reading privilege back tomorrow.

As for overreacting, he took a pair of scissors to a new set of sheets and cut out patterns of the super heroes, then he hid the scissors and tried to lie about it.

kms

Cyburbian
As for overreacting, he took a pair of scissors to a new set of sheets and cut out patterns of the super heroes, then he hid the scissors and tried to lie about it.

That, my friend, is a battle worth choosing. I'd replace those with cheap, white sheets. And make him work off the cost with age-appropriate chores. Six is not too young to brush out a toilet, using vinegar water or something less harmful than toilet bowl cleaner.

I'd probably sew those cut-out super heroes onto something and hang it in one of the other boys' rooms.

I'd often find my daughter awake at 6 Am reading, and she still reads. My boys don't read just for the sake of reading.

Richmond Jake

I know it's still Sunday morning, but it's amazing the treasures you can find when you rummage through your junk box.

EDIT: Get your dirty minds out of the gutter.

Richmond Jake

I don't think a little consensual bondage on Sunday morning is such a bad thing.

The dogs have been out twice this morning.

DVD

Cyburbian
I don't think a little consensual bondage on Sunday morning is such a bad thing.

The dogs have been out twice this morning.

So whayt does consensual bondage have to do with letting the dogs out? Or is that just a euphemism?

It's been a manly weekend involving chainsaws, axes, and splitting wood. It's more work than work.

kms

Cyburbian
Cleaning.
Preparing for a yard sale and a move.
Getting ready to go to training for 4 days.
Cooking for those who are staying home and for my mom.
Washed the car.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My oldest turned on Robin Hood Prince of Thieves for a moment while his brothers took a nap. We turned it off after a few minutes into it, but it was enough time for me to figure out that the Sheriff of Nottingham is actually Professor Severus Snape. MIND BLOWN. :-c

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My oldest turned on Robin Hood Prince of Thieves for a moment while his brothers took a nap. We turned it off after a few minutes into it, but it was enough time for me to figure out that the Sheriff of Nottingham is actually Professor Severus Snape. MIND BLOWN. :-c
And Hans Gruber...and Metatron...aka a sought-after working actor.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Scanning 60-70 yr old negatives. One of the finds I used for my FB cover page.

Went to my step niece's 21st birthday party. What 21 yr old doesn't like receiving cash as a present ? She left early because being in college she had a paper due 12 am and filed electronically.

Richmond Jake

The replacement hoses for the pool cleaner are working perfectly. Much less expensive that a new zodiac.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
SOSJAS

Same old $$$$ just another sunday

Laundry, run the dishwasher, recycling, scanning still,

kms

Cyburbian
Listened to a band at a local winery. Have to pack for the move, and for a work trip to Lancaster.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Thank goodness for the Packer win. Every other team I cheer for lost this weekend.

We took the little guys to a corn maze. They loved it.

DVD

Cyburbian
Wash car because of bird poop, already have fresh bird poop.

Cleared up the dead plants from the garden.

Went out to eat with the wife for our anniversary.

Planit

Cyburbian
I had about 2 hours by myself Sunday evening. It was after a very frustrating soccer match for The Girl. The team looked tired (they had played Saturday night) and the referee was non-existent. Mrs. P suggested I should chill out with a beer while she went and help the youth with decorations at the church for Trunk or Treat.

I did what I was told, grabbed a beer, watched a couple things on Netflix, played with the dog and started a fire in the chimnea. I chilled out.

When she got home she said, "where's that beer, now I need to chill out."

BTW: Great fire starter - take an empty six-pack holder, stuff each opening with newspaper, set it on its side in the bottom of the fire pit or chimnea, arrange your wood on top of it and lite it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The parent of one of Junior's classmates told me his two kids are in soccer and frequently they have tournaments out of town - sometimes four hours drive away. A lot of these tournaments have games scheduled starting at 8 or 9 a.m. and the finals games run until dinner time, which means that if their team wins they might not get home until 11 p.m. Anywho, this dad confided he usually hopes his kids' team gets beat before the semi-finals so they can get home at a decent hour.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
On thanksgiving day I did some of my usual sunday routine stuff -

2 loads of laundry
recycling center trip - AIB Alice's Restaurant it was open.
ran the dishwasher
posting here

kms

Cyburbian
The long weekend will be a delightful string of Sundays. It's going to be 65 here today, so I'm going for a bike ride.

Richmond Jake

A thought occurred to me this morning that I'd like to get some body paint and perform an art experiment/project on ZG. Is that too kinky? No cameras will be involved. :h:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
A thought occurred to me this morning that I'd like to get some body paint and perform an art experiment/project on ZG. Is that too kinky? No cameras will be involved. :h:

if no photos how do we know this ever happened ? ;) 8-!

besides this is a family friendly,child safe, safe for work forum/website right ?

Richmond Jake

if no photos how do we know this ever happened ? ;) 8-!

besides this is a family friendly,child safe, safe for work forum/website right ?

I'm thinking that Sports Illustrated might give us a call. Ya know, one of the beach photo shoots.

Richmond Jake

Looks like I pissed off my future daughter-in-law. Not my fault. Did all I could. Guess reaching out to my son was not good enough.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Very unproductive week, so I came into the office today. In two hours I've finished two projects, got caught up on another one, and finished a report. I'm on a roll, so I think I'll dive into another project before calling it a day.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got all the remaining Christmas decorations down on Sun. :-$

kms

Cyburbian
Got all the remaining Christmas decorations down on Sun. :-$

Don't feel bad. The Walmart in my town is selling cut Christmas trees for the bargain price of $1/tree. I imagine that's going to change this morning; my sister works at another Walmart, and she's sharing my photo with the district manager. Look out!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Don't feel bad. The Walmart in my town is selling cut Christmas trees for the bargain price of $1/tree. I imagine that's going to change this morning; my sister works at another Walmart, and she's sharing my photo with the district manager. Look out!

WHY would anyone buy a Christmas tree a month or more after Christmas? I'd be curious to learn if they sold a single tree.

Otis

Cyburbian
Sunday morning I put up a new thermometer outside, put new license plates on one of the cars, and went up on the roof and cleared a couple of blocked scuppers. As you might imagine, on Sunday afternoon I rested.