• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Daily things 5️⃣ The Sunday Afternoon Club

kms

Cyburbian
It was too cold here to do much, so I made a big pot of beef barley soup and.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
and?.....

We did not make a big pot of chili in the slow cooker this weekend but we should have. It was a good nesting weekend what with all the snow and cold temps.

kms

Cyburbian
And...I should have deleted that. The soup is good. I put the pot of soup on the back porch to cool. I’m sure it’s a solid block of frozen soup.

Planit

Cyburbian
Yesterday after church, both girls (The Girl & Mrs. P) went to take a nap. I was watching a soccer match & Mrs. P said wake her up in a hour.

After the match was over & it was past an hour, I checked on them - they were still out.

It was nice outside, so I decided to crack up the chainsaw and trim up the crepe myrtles. Worked for over an hour more trimming. This required the chainsaw to be running and I was just outside The Girl's window. I figured that might wake them up. No dice.

Finished cleaning up, got a drink, went inside and woke them up.

About dinner time, Mrs. P asked me why there was saw dust on the garage floor. I told her what I did and she said that was impossible because she didn't hear the chainsaw. I showed the the results of my efforts piled up outside. She couldn't believe it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The FIL prepared a corned beef brisket, potatoes, carrots and cabbage in the slow cooker and we made some biscuits and scones for St. Pádraig's Day. The FIL's choice of beer?..... Heineken.:think: (I guess it's appropriate because of the green bottle). We watched the March Madness brackets get announced on tv followed by a cool PBS show about Africa's great civilizations. All in all a fairly chill day.

kms

Cyburbian
Some friends and I took a bike ride and had a picnic lunch. It was a perfect afternoon.

zman

Cyburbian
Washed the car (in order to guarantee rain for the community this week)
Long session at the gym (good after a day in airports and airplanes yesterday)
Sitting outside, grilling shrimp and sipping red wine while throwing a tennis ball for a dog

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I found the perfect way to grill meat: I put the steak on, mowed the medians between the sidewalk and the street; flipped the steak and put salmon on for my wife, mowed the side yard, flipped the steak and the salmon; did the part of the front yard next to the house (lots of twists and turns), flipped the steak and salmon and turned the grill down to simmer, finished the front lawn; and boom, the meat was perfectly done.

I mowed the lawn while cooking because I, too, wanted to join some friends for a bike ride last night but also wanted to get the lawn mowed before tornadogeddon today. After dinner I joined the pub crawl ride en route at the first stop. By the time I was finished I had 20 miles in.

Reactions: kms

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Washed the car (in order to guarantee rain for the community this week)
Long session at the gym (good after a day in airports and airplanes yesterday)
Sitting outside, grilling shrimp and sipping red wine while throwing a tennis ball for a dog
I am glad you washed the car for the greater good.

116843235_3449199895112311_7830159343451700114_n.jpg
Doohickie
Man is not her best friend.
Her best friends have unkempt haircuts and look up to her as their role model.
1596396419550.png
1596396558427.png

Her Son, Ken:
1596397702282.png

Meanwhile, catty behavior across the room

1596398887242.png

"I'd like to speak to the manager's manager, please!"

1596399453112.png

"Gimme the manager's manager's manager!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RbtKrn.jpg

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
Sunday afternoon about 3:00 we had a storm come through with lightening and thunder with some straight line winds. At one point I couldn't see across the park. Took about a few big branches (1 blocked the side road) and lot of debris. Funny thing was in was only in a very small area near the park next to out house.

Last night another run of thunderstorms around 2:00. Thunder & lightening woke me up.

Today I called my family members in California, Arizona, and Oklahoma to ask how the wildfires there are affecting everyone's lives. (Yes, there's one raging on the Colorado/Oklahoma border!)
Right afterwards I thought of Cyburbia and started a thread:
WILDFIRES in Western U.S. & Canada 2020 pandemic edition

On a lighter note, I remembered that this September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. I wonder, do some pirates wear face masks?
A few days before 9/19, I'll be bumping up two colorful threads for the occasion:

Ah...it's "International Talk Like a Pirate Day"...
and
Pirate Day Punishments

The other things I did this weekend are not Cyburbia-related....so you wouldn't be interested in hearing about them, would you?;)

ESPN has the MLB game of the week on now. Phillies(5) are at Atlanta(3), and the 7th inning stretch just began. My friends are on the other side of my house watching the game and I'm joining in their festivities now.
See you tomorrow morning!

Planit

Cyburbian
Sunday afternoon we cleaned the garage. Now Mrs. P & I have different styles of organization which don't always align. However I will say the garage is clean and reorganized to both of our mild satisfaction & both the roll out recycle bin and the trash can are full.

A beer on the deck followed.

Planit

Cyburbian
WE GOT POWER!!!

It went out @ 8:30 Thurs morning. It came back on @ 2:30 this afternoon.

Planit

Cyburbian
How long did you go without (total hours)?
The magic calculator says 78 hours.

Over that time, we grilled chicken & steaks from the (thawing) freezer. Took showers @ city hall or a friends house. Cleaned up the yard. The Girl had a soccer match. I read 2 books. Cooked hot dogs over the firepit (that was Halloween night). I actually enjoyed the darkness of the neighborhood, but the quiet was pierced by 3 houses near us with generators running 24/7.

Planit

Cyburbian
Went hiking Sunday afternoon a total of 5 miles with lots of hills. My knees are sore.

My "Speak To The Manager" humor on this thread was not funny?

More likely:
  • Not many Cyburbians saw it.
and also​
  • The Cyburbians who saw it & sort of liked it generally do not put any kind of 'Likes' to my posts.

I'm actually not posting here to rant. There are so many aspects of my life for which I am grateful.
This year I was bed-ridden with two separate, prolonged cases of Covid-19--and lived to tell the story. Without having to be in a hospital either time, and without having acquired serious, permanent disabilities.

Once again, my locale is close to complete lockdown. Winter is my favorite season, but I'll have to spend it inside my house. Will get the Pfizer Covid vaccine at the first moment that I'm eligible.

Shakespeare's "Now is the winter of our discontent.." soliloquy comes to mind--but on second thought, I'm more like:
"Sometimes you have to be grateful for what has not happened to you."​

Damn. I didn't know you had Covid... twice?
I mentioned that I had Covid in these 2 posts:
and

You and STTG publicly acknowledged that you saw at least one of the posts, but nobody else did.

When I got Covid for the 2nd time, I didn't post about it.

I've had a life-long tendency to not complain a whole lot, but rather to fix things that I have power over, and to accept the things over which I have no power. That works out well most of the time, but it might give people the mistaken impression that my life has been smooth sailing.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I did that yesterday. Now I'm trying to clean the family room of all the crap that's accumulated there since we moved in three years ago (some of which was never unpacked).

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My kids gave me some cool National Parks posters for Christmas. I framed them and now need to hang them. Today’s as good a day as any I suppose.

Reactions: kms

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My wife met the criteria of Phase 1A of the COVID-19 vaccine distribution in New York (NP, patient facing setting), and she got her first shot yesterday morning. Short term effects: feeling exhausted quickly, and a headache for about four hours. The arm where she had the injection still hurts. She got the Moderna vaccine. Her collegues that got the Pfizer vaccine reported less severe short term effects.

I'm eligible for Phase 1C, thanks to moderate asthma. (Never had an attack, but I'm still vulnerable, and carry an inhaler just in case.) Her advice to me: get the shot on a Friday morning, and take the day off.

Also, the house is still in chaos thanks to the ongoing painting and spackling. I painted the dining room, 2nd floor hallway bathroom, and 3rd bedroom (my office) a few years ago. These were the rooms that were least affected by bad drywall mudding -- nail pops, peeling tape underneath, corner beads showing through. Our house was built in 1989 by a new builder, and was the model home for the subdivision. We think the builder ran over budget towards completion, so he hired the lowest of the low bidders for interior finish work. Many other aspects of the house were move-up grade for the time (for example, Anderson windows, and no vinyl siding!), but in a few areas underneath the surface, there's some evidence of cheaping out, like backstabbed electrical outlets and switches. (I replaced most with commercial spec grade Leviton Decora outlets and switches, some with USB ports. Properly installed, though I used the backwire screw clamp.)

Anyhow, for the rest of the house, we hired a pro - a smart young man who really, really knows his shit. It's taking longer than we expected, thanks to the drywall flaws. When it's all over, though, we'll probably have something approaching Level 5 walls.

We wanted to replace the (likely original!) carpet throughout the house with WPC vinyl flooring. After the painting and spackling is over, we probably won't have enough left in the budget to make it happen this year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We went hiking in the ridges, and stopped in Ligonier @Maister. The trees were covered in lacy ice.
Only picture postcard scenes exist in Ligonier. Everywhere else in PA the ice was a mess.

kms

Cyburbian
I found a tick on my back on Sunday afternoon. The ambulance staff next door have no idea how to remove a tick. One of the firefighters couldn't remove it, so I wound up at urgent care.

I spent the rest of Sunday afternoon vacuuming every piece of furniture I used since yesterday and the rug and carpeting. I took my bedding to the laundromat. Sunday afternoon is the worst time go.

The worst part was fussing with my wireless printer to print the form to mail with the tick to the tick lab. I should know later this week if the tick is infected with anything. They gave me a dose of Doxy at urgent care. The nurse didn't think the tick was attached for too long.

I'm more afraid of Lime disease than any other illness.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I like that I have floor-to-ceiling jalousie windows on either side of my kitchen door.

Planit

Cyburbian
Played a round of golf for the first time since Sept/Oct with the first city manager I worked for in NC and a councilman.
Golf was okay, reminiscing was good.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
No mosquitos here that I've seen...yet. But it can't be many more days before we get a swarm.

Planit

Cyburbian
...and a load of wet clothes, right?
2 loads actually - the one in the dryer that didn't dry & the one is the washer that was ready to be rotated.

Mrs. P went to our friends house & used their dryer (& had a wee-drinky too from what I was told) while I took apart the dryer & confirmed it was the dryer belt. Guess what my plans at lunch are today?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Got several more tomatoes transplanted on Sunday. Along with direct sowing some cucumbers and spreading some fertilizer.