• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

The thread of randomness

donk

Cyburbian
I have a limited window of opportunity to go.

My cousin is pregneant and I want to go before the baby comes, and early enough that I don't have to worry. I would have prefered april (Sea Otter Classic), but thats when she is due.

Best air fare I can find is about $1000, even from Bangor its about $700, not worth the drive or hassle.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Have you considered flying from Halifax? I was planning to have my b.f.'s mum fly out to S.F. from Halfiax to meet us there in late-Feb/March... it's cheaper than flying her out here believe it or not. I think it was under $700 if you fly out on a Wednesday and back on a Wednesday... so that's not that bad. I use destina usually, just so I know what the taxes are up front. Good luck!

donk

Cyburbian
I looked at that, but the 4 hour each way drive and the parking for the week eats up the savings quickly.

jmf

Cyburbian
donk said:
I looked at that, but the 4 hour each way drive and the parking for the week eats up the savings quickly.

Wow, things are dull around here....

...if you do have to park at the Hfx airport you can park at the Petro Can for quite a bit less than the official lot (they will drop you off and pick you up) and I think they will clean your car.

...I was talking to a friend last night who lives in Truckee, CA she was talking about an airline which flies as far east as New Hampshire. Her husband (also from Miramichi) flies a lot with the airline and after so many flights he gets a free flight so she is planning to use it to get as far east as NH and then drive the rest of the way. I don't know what their regular fares are like though.

donk

Cyburbian
I looked into flying from presque isle too. The only real advantage is the possibility of being bumped and getting a free ticket or upgrade.

I think I'll pay the little bit extra and not have to worry.

Can't wait for everyone to be back from vacation.

Bucky alum

Donk

Check out flying into Oakland. The flights there are pretty cheap and although I hate to say it. See if you can get a cheap flight to JFK in NYC and connect on JetBlue to OAkland. They have cheap fares but no food. Also check out San Jose CA their costs are usually cheaper. Hope that helps...