• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

The Tie Thread

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I really like maybe 5 ties I own. I have 40+. My fear is always that I might get a new shirt and that tie may go with it. They also don't take up that much room in the closet, so why not?

Bubba

Cyburbian
I really like maybe 5 ties I own. I have 40+. My fear is always that I might get a new shirt and that tie may go with it. They also don't take up that much room in the closet, so why not?
I think I've worn a tie maybe three times in the last 10+ years. But, I'm good with nice business casual for the days I'm in the office. My firm's dress code is "dress for your day" (i.e. appropriate garb for client meetings, etc.)...occasionally we have to suggest to junior staff to look at what they have on and never show up in the office wearing it again...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I have a ton of neckties but even though I wear one to work 3 or 4 days a week, I find I end up wearing the same ones over and over. A couple of years ago, I gave a bunch to charity that I just don't see myself ever wearing again and then I put half of the remaining ones into a big shoebox on the top shelf of my closet. Now, every few months I basically swap out what's in the box with what's in the rotation and it's like a whole new selection!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

I wear a tie most days at work. I own probably twenty ties, but only wear maybe three or four of them with any regularity. Missing from my collection of ties are the usual novelty ties you see a lot of guys wear (holiday, sports team, alma mater, etc.).

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Any bowtie wearers here? I wear them to the office on occasion but almost always sport a bowtie if I am at a conference. I will add that after having learned how to properly tie a bowtie, I think they are much easier to tie than a necktie. I can almost always nail it perfectly on the first attempt where I often find myself re-tying a necktie a couple of times to get the length to wear I want it.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I work in a place that is business casual, manly due to the culture and weather most of the year. I still have ties from when I lived and worked up north, but rarely wear them. I did have to dress up for an event a month or so ago. It was good to know that I can still tie a tie.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nobody wears a tie in my office. I think my husband owns two ties.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I can't remember the last time I wore a medieval male torture device. I do own one, but I do all in my power to avoid having to don it.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Any bowtie wearers here? I wear them to the office on occasion but almost always sport a bowtie if I am at a conference. I will add that after having learned how to properly tie a bowtie, I think they are much easier to tie than a necktie. I can almost always nail it perfectly on the first attempt where I often find myself re-tying a necktie a couple of times to get the length to wear I want it.
I need to drop about 30 pounds to pull off that look. I have a big neck and wide shoulders, so even then I'm afraid I can't pull it off without looking like I'm trying too hard.

I'm in the same boat... maybe a half dozen ties I wear, and probably another 20 that just take up space. I only have to wear them to meetings with certain cities. My real preference for a business look is open collar with a jacket. I also like dark wash denim or casual chinos with a jacket. I've even dressed up a plain T-shirt that way.

DVD

Cyburbian
I have some ties, a bow tie, and a couple bolas. I never where them except for interviews where I wear them all at once. It's impressive.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I have a Hufflepuff tie from Halloween.

The gentlemen here wear ties to hearings but I think that's the only time I've ever seen. Even then I don't recall my supervisor wearing one.

Planit

Cyburbian
In a previous life, I used to wear a tie to work everyday. Now it's for council meetings, receptions and presentations to groups.

There are probably 5 ties I like more than others although I have about 30-40. I even have one that was my dad's but don't wear it much. I don't have any 'novelty' ties except my Christmas tie that have little Snoopy carrying a Christmas tree pattern all over it. I have one from the place I did a work/study program with in the UK, but don't wear it much because it's short.

DVD

Cyburbian
I actually keep a tie and jacket at my desk in case I have to do some meeting, but this is generally a no tie culture.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have about 20-30 ties and wear about 10 regularly and I wear dress clothes/ties pretty much every work day.

Kohl's is my go to store for well priced and nice looking men's dress clothes - ties, shirts, slacks, etc.