• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The ultimate race card?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What next? "Sorry I was speeding, officer, but it's because my great great grandmother was a slave." If this holds up in court, does this mean African-Americans can commit any crime they want, knowing that they can claim "traumatic slave syndrime" and get a pass? You're not accountable for your actions if you're black?

No doubt this case is hurting blacks, who are percieved by many whites as a monolithic group that don't think for themselves. I bet conservative talk show hosts are having a fun time with this, too, painting all liberals as supporting such a defense.

Slave syndrome argued in boy's death

HILLSBORO - A 2-year-old boy lost his life because his father suffered from post traumatic slave syndrome and could not see the error of his violent ways, a Portland lawyer says.

Randall Vogt said he will argue - ``in a general way'' - that masters beat slaves, so his client, Isaac Cortez Bynum, was justified in beating his son.

The father is charged with murder by abuse in the June 30 death of his son, Ryshawn Lamar Bynum. An autopsy found the boy died of a brain injury and had a broken neck, broken ribs and as many as 70 whip marks on his legs, buttocks, back and chest that were of various ages.

... Because blacks never got a chance to heal and still face oppression, they suffer from multigenerational trauma - and violent or aggressive behavior often results, she said.

... ``Post traumatic slave syndrome is rather unique; it's not that everybody has it,'' DeGruy-Leary testified. ``If you are African-American and you are living in America, you have been impacted.''

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Many of my ancestors were slaughtered and abused until the Turks were kicked out of Austria-Hungary in the 1700's. My great-grandparent's generation lost a sizable portion of their wealth when the Communists took over a fair chunk of Europe. I still suffer from the trauma of these experiences. I think I will steal something for lunch now.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The logical conclusion is that the descendants of slave-owners are the ones responsible for the boy's death.

Its a shame that the lawyer and father are doing this to get around the responsibility of a MURDERED CHILD. He didn't just forget to pay his taxes, or steal a pair of shoes.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
This... won't fly.

No way, no how. If the AA groups stand behind this guy, they will lose so much. There is just no way... I can't.

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Many of my ancestors were slaughtered and abused until the Turks were kicked out of Austria-Hungary in the 1700's. My great-grandparent's generation lost a sizable portion of their wealth when the Communists took over a fair chunk of Europe. I still suffer from the trauma of these experiences. I think I will steal something for lunch now.
Yeah? Well my ancestors were slaughtered and raped for centuries and seen as barbaric. A wall was put up to keep them out, even though they wanted nothing to do with the "civilized people" This lasted until the joining of the crowns. Of course, the English that did this to the Scottish were my ancestors as well...anyway, off to slay the people living south of me!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Oh boy Im part native american-can I scalp people becouse my people are STILL repressed?
Im jewish can I go on a killing spree becouse thats all my people have ever been subjected to?
Im a southerner can I kill becouse my people were oppressed by the carpet baggers?

Sheesh what a crock O' horse dung. The guy should surely be found guilty of being a jackA$$, the lawyer should loose his shirt and people should freaking

GET OVER IT!

*yup I have PMS too and that IS an excuse ;-) *

BKM

Cyburbian
Can I officially remove my "liberal" sig line? Is this what modern liberalism has devolved to?

You have *got* to be kidding me. Can they even use that as a defense? This is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. For the AA community, for this country, and most of all, for that little boy.

These people call themselves professional and they're out there making gross generalizations about an entire race of people?

Calling the boy's injuries excessive, DeGruy-Leary said she would have reported them. But in many black households, such discipline ``is extremely common,'' she said.

``It falls in the rubric of what they think is normal.''
My mother is a social worker who has worked in all aspects of child protection for over 15 years and can prove that assumption wrong just by her own work experience. There is no one typical profile for a child abuser - they come from all walks of life and have varying backgrounds.

I guess those African Americans who don't commit crimes or other stupid acts are descendants of the house slaves, who were typically held in slightly higher regard and less susceptible to brutal beatings.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Sadly, this sort of thing is not uncommon to any of the races, although this example is extremely depressing. When will people -- all people -- start taking personal responsibility and stop trying to blame others for their own actions?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Planderella said:
These people call themselves professional and they're out there making gross generalizations about an entire race of people?

Calling the boy's injuries excessive, DeGruy-Leary said she would have reported them. But in many black households, such discipline ``is extremely common,'' she said.

``It falls in the rubric of what they think is normal.''
Not to mention providing ammunition for racists, who would love nothing more than to hear respected, educated academics to reinforce their stupid claims that blacks are inherently violent or animailistic.

Idjits.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I'm appalled that this "defense" is being used to justify that child's death. I'm African-American and I am baffled that the lawyer would attempt to claim that the father suffers from post traumatic slave syndrome. Was the father an actual slave, in order to experience such a trauma? I THINK NOT!

That child deserves justice, not the father! Damn!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Cosby has DC all in a flitter with his comments but no one wants to admit he just may be right.

I think its not just one or a fwe races we have all grown lazy, fat and quick to blame anyone but ourselves for stuff. We cant even take the heat for our own over eating.

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
So this is what Neil Bortz was talking about earlier in the week. I normally avoid the AM dial altogether but was in one of those antique shops where the owner reminds you of the creepy army surplus shop owner in the movie "Falling Down" and they had it blasting all over the place.

The only reason why lawyers will attempt a defense like this is because they sometimes work. I don't know what they do to people when they get jury duty (I've been called in for jury duty twice but never had to serve) but some of the things that come out of the jury room is crazy... otherwise lawyers wouldn't even try something as stupid as this.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Sadly, this sort of thing is not uncommon to any of the races, although this example is extremely depressing. When will people -- all people -- start taking personal responsibility and stop trying to blame others for their own actions?
applause, applause! :-D my sentiments exactly...

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'd like to thank the 97% of African Americans that have managed to keep it together every day despite this horrifiic disability. :)

Glasshouse

Cyburbian
Rutt Row, race card.

I'm about the least racist in a county plumb full of hicks. They nicknamed the town Klandalia instead of Vandalia. There are no black folk in this town (none). I don't think there ever has been, but I wouldn't know I'm from peoria and only been here 4 years.

Every so often a black fella or 2 will roll into the bars uptown, (there is about 6 bars) word shoots threw the whole town like a bolt of lighting and berfore long dam near every white mail between 21 and 30 gathers.

Personally I think it's tragic and thank God the idiots havn't acted on thier extreme stupidity.

Anyhow my comment is: If this is some of what blacks are dealing with, the 'slave card' may encompass more than just "my ancestors where slaves".

This is by far no attempt to defend the A$$ hole for the murder of his child (fry him) but just food for thought in any other cases as well as an opportunity to sport my cool avatar.

Bob

Michele Zone

BANNED
I think the stats are that 5% to 6% of parents beat their kids. And about 30% of people who were abused as kids grow up to abuse their own kids. I routinely have morons tell me that this means that if you were abused, you are 5 or 6 times more likely to beat your own kids. Sorry, what it tells ME is that for every single child who was beaten and grows up to continue the pattern, more than 2 beaten kids grow up to be decent human beings who treat their kids better than that. It also tells me that plenty of folks who were not beaten as kids beat their own kids -- I guess "for no apparent reason".

We aren't robots, doing what our programming tells us to do -- unless we CHOOSE to act like that. At some point, you have to stop blaming your past and decide what you want your future to look like. I don't care how much relief it gives you to blame something or someone, it won't give you the life of your dreams. In fact, it is likely to sabotage those dreams. To quote some song: We've all had to fight to be free.