• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The very first Segway thread (WAS: Ginger: THIS is what we've been waiting for?)

Ginger: THIS is what we've been waiting for?

I admit, I turned on Good Morning America this morning to find out what "It/Ginger" is today. And I was totally disappointed. My husband's first comment was "that's pretty lame". I don't see why it is more revolutionary than a moped, except you stand up on it.

And as for Atlanta trying to use this thing to alleviate some of their dreadful traffic problems, the majority of their problems are on I-85 and the connectors, which I just can't see it being safe at all to ride Ginger on.

I'm just SO underwhelmed and feeling let down. What do you guys think?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Segway seems like the first "21st Century" thing I've seen come out of the 21st Century. Two wheel, yet it maintains your balance. Unlike a scooter, it's hop and go, and the responsiveness is allegedly psychic.

Something that'll reshape our cities ... probably not. Something that'll have a ripple effect ... definitely.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Oh Goody - I was hoping somebody had started a thread on this topic.

I must say that given all the hype that surrounded this invention, I am a little bit disappointed. However, if you take away that hype, this thing is really really amazing. But I'm not sure it will have the impact on urban transportation that its inventor hopes.

First off - I can't see them allowing these things on the sidewalks. No matter how "responsive" they are, I don't think they would mix too well with pedestrians. I think they'll end up in the streets with the cyclists and roller-bladers.

I too, like Dan, am impressed by the 21st century type ot advance this thing represents - even if it is a commercial flop, the technology is simply fantastic.

nxcj

That's just it. The technology it utilizes is the interesting part. It has something like five gyroscopes that enable it to stay upright. Forward motion actually starts when you intuitively lean forward when you want to "go" forward. Problem is that our infrastructure would have a hard time supporting it. I can just see the new traffic lights on the sidewalks....he he. And when it's 10 below zero.....brrrrrrrrr

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
It's just another flaky wealthy consumer's new toy. I really don't care since it's not going to change my life--or anyone else's for that matter (except perhaps to lighten a buyer's wallet).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I've heard prices of $3,000 to $8,000. For $3,000 most urbanites can buy a nice used compact Toyota or Honda that can be used in all seasons, and costs 25 cents per day to operate instead of 5 cents, but time value of money savings can offset some of that... Its a matter of time before the suburbs ban these things like they do skateboarders on sidewalks...

Even if we took my town out of the frozen north, and it was nice balmy weather all year round - we don't even have sidewalks here, let alone a bike lane. Please don't tell me they want to put poor little Ginger on a major connector street with cars speeding by at 45 mph +? I'd rather get some exercise on a bike while taking my life in my hands. Great technology, though.

trp_plan

funny ginger cartoon

This is funny, but in reality we know this is the future of Ginger

planasaurus

Cyburbian
maybe it will lead to bigger and better Gingers.

I was very disappointed. Hopefully it will lead to better technologies though. I guess it is a start.

Budgie

Cyburbian
What did you expect?

Everyone is disappointed!? What were your expectations?

Here is a device in it's infant stages. The first cars got stuck in the mud and what did we do? Built roads at an enormous public costs. What are we planning for? We need to be asking ourselves, how do we make this work? Some degree of skepticism is health if it raises questions for which we can find solutions. I guarantee that infrastructure to support Segway travel in all weather will cost far less than private car travel.

Let's quit paying lip service to building better communities. Let's quit planning for car and start planning for people. If the Postal service begins using the Segway, federal action may be taken to legalize Segway's on sidewalks. What is the sidewalk for?

Budgie

Cyburbian
What did you expect?

Everyone is disappointed!? What were your expectations?

Here is a device in it's infant stages. The first cars got stuck in the mud and what did we do? Built roads at an enormous public costs. What are we planning for? We need to be asking ourselves, how do we make this work? Some degree of skepticism is health if it raises questions for which we can find solutions. I guarantee that infrastructure to support Segway travel in all weather will cost far less than private car travel.

Let's quit paying lip service to building better communities. Let's quit planning for car and start planning for people. If the Postal service begins using the Segway, federal action may be taken to legalize Segway's on sidewalks. What is the sidewalk for?

Mary

"If the Postal service begins using the Segway, federal action may be taken to legalize Segway's on sidewalks."

Please tell me your joking. Don't postal workers carry too much stuff on their routes to use this kind of thing??

Budgie

Cyburbian
Postal Service, of course !

Mary said:
"If the Postal service begins using the Segway, federal action may be taken to legalize Segway's on sidewalks."

Please tell me your joking. Don't postal workers carry too much stuff on their routes to use this kind of thing??
No I'm not joking.

There are pilot projects being conducted or will be conducted in at least 3 cities. Tampa was the first with 5 routes being tested. There are lots of routes where mail carriers deliver on foot with a maximum load of 35 lbs in their bags. They have to continously return to the truck to refill the bag. With the Segway they are carrying around 100 lbs of mail and getting from box to box around 3 times as fast.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/01/15/segway.sales/index.html

As planners we are supposed to solve problems and build communities for people not cars. Let's quit being negative and find solutions.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
One of the pilot projects for the postal service is my hometown...however implementation has been delayed until a better snow tire can be developed. :)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Michelin Involved

Yeah, Michelin developed the tires and are likely working on various different types.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Segway and LEM's

I'm sure a developer will consider a traditional neighborhood development form including a service oriented commercial area with one car garages and a Segway comes with the house. This concept could work especially if a lending institution offered a Location Efficient Mortgage program, where tansportation costs are scrutinized in the mortgage rate equation. If I gave up my second car and made a wise location decision in buying my home, I could shift my income from transporation to shelter and pay off a mortgage comfortably.

If the Segway takes off, I'd by stock in rental car companies.

Last edited:

prudence

Cyburbian
Roadway or Sidewalk...

Where are you to operate this IT, Ginger, Segway contraption?

Many local governments have become preoccupied with regulating transporation modes of children--bicycles, skateboards, scooters with and without electric motors, rollerblades, etc. Communities cite countless reasons why kids and their "vehicles" need to be controlled, moreover, restricted from utilizing certain spaces (sidewalks, plazas, etc.)

What separates this new adult mode of transporation from the ones I cited?!? How long before these toys overrun community spaces? Where do you park them?

When we be required to include Segway-devoted lanes adjacent to sidewalks and roadways?

New technology isn't always better. God forbid we actually walk once in a while...

Budgie

Cyburbian
Why are we preoccupied with regulating modes of transportation other than automobiles? And why shouldn't public spaces be meeting places regardless of how you get there. It all boils down to inherent mistrust of the following generation. How frequently do walkers get injured by the travel of others by bike, skateboard, scooter, or roller blades? I think the public is hypersensitive to these concerns not so real problems.

Until you've been on a Segway, I'm not sure we can assess what is appropriate. There are other ways to move around than walking and automobile.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well its been 19 months since this thread lived and died. Have any opinions changed?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I saw one yesterday! It is going to change the world by... um....

(Sorry, Budgie.)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Progress

All I can say is that, I've owned my Segway for 2 months and have replaced numerous car trips. I've given over a hundred demos and everyone loves it. I've probably gone over 500 miles, probably 300 for pure recreation at this point. I would take it everyday to work, if work wasn't over 8 miles away. I won't live this far away from work forever, so it's only a matter of time till we become a one car family. It's working for me.

Has anyone else been on one yet?

The p-series (metro) will officially be available later this summer, but you can buy it now at NEVerland in Celebration, Flordia. It's approximately $4,000. Segway no longer requires purchasers to go to designated training sites, yet will come to your house to provide training. I know a gentleman in Topeka who purchased 5 for his ranching business. They use them on gravel roads.

http://www.nevrlandinc.com
http://www.segwayoftexas.com
http://sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&Product_ID=6212&DID=19

There are a handful of segway rental businesses and retailers in Florida, Ohio and Texas. Entreprenuers will jump at dealerships over the next couple years. Keep in mind that they only started delivering them 3 months ago.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Wisconsin

Michael Stumpf said:
I saw one yesterday! It is going to change the world by... um....

(Sorry, Budgie.)
By the way, the ITE of Wisconsin has asked me to bring my Segway to their conference this fall. I'll be giving demos for several hours and discussing my experiences as a Segway rider and planner during a session regarding the future of transportation.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Wisconsin

Budgie said:
By the way, the ITE of Wisconsin has asked me to bring my Segway to their conference this fall. I'll be giving demos for several hours and discussing my experiences as a Segway rider and planner during a session regarding the future of transportation.
Where is the conference? Perhaps a few of us may make a trip out to some local brewery.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Wisconsin

Michael Stumpf said:
Where is the conference? Perhaps a few of us may make a trip out to some local brewery.
Waukesha. Man, it would be fabulous to put back a couple of frosty barley pops with a fellow Cyburbian. Maybe we can find out if you can get a DWI/DUI on a Segway. I've tried, but haven't been successful yet.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Waukesha! That's practically in my 'hood. Have you taken that thing off-road yet? You can give it a shot in my fields, or maybe on the trails in the Kettle Moraine (Southeastern Wisconsin's tallest mountain range).

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Wisconsin

Budgie said:
Waukesha. Man, it would be fabulous to put back a couple of frosty barley pops with a fellow Cyburbian. Maybe we can find out if you can get a DWI/DUI on a Segway. I've tried, but haven't been successful yet.
yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing..especially on those warm days!!!!

Budgie

Cyburbian
Off Roading

Michael Stumpf said:
Waukesha! That's practically in my 'hood. Have you taken that thing off-road yet? You can give it a shot in my fields, or maybe on the trails in the Kettle Moraine (Southeastern Wisconsin's tallest mountain range).
I don't have a set of off-road tires, which do actually exist. I've taken it on gravel roads and on grassy knolls (not the "grassy knoll"). I did sneak up on a deer the other day.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: Wisconsin

Budgie said:
PM me and we'll see about getting together. That's the town next door. :)