• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Theater restoration - funding, examples, etc.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
The foundation for the Tibbits Opera House here in town has started searching for funds for renovation, which is estimated at 10.5 million dollars. Below are some pictures of the original facade, current facade, and architects rendering of the proposed facade which includes an addition that would serve as lobby, restrooms, etc. They are kind of small, but you get the picture. The current facade is pretty horrible, but fortunately when they put it up, they didn't attach it to the original facade (there is like a 3-5 inch gap between facades).

Is anyone familiar with other theaters/opera houses that have undergone this process? What about possible funding sources? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

570Tibbits_original.jpg

570Tibbits_restoration.jpg

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Stoughton, WI has been working for several years to restore its opera house, which is really spectacular inside. Here's a link: http://www.stoughtonlandmarks.com/landmarks.html

Virocqua, Wi has recently completed restoration of the Temple Theater, for which it has one a couple awards. There are several good projects in this PDF, but the theater projet begins on page 59: http://www.wisconsindowntown.org/pdf files/2002DowntownAwards.pdf

For more information on either of these, how they raised the funds, issues that they had to deal with, etc., you can contact the Main Street Program or the Chamber in the community.

Tom R

Cyburbian
theaters

The Civic Theater in Akron has and continues to go through a significant restoration/revovation project. I'm sure they will provide all thee details on their funding sources. Good luck.

http://akroncivic.com/index.html

SGB

Cyburbian
Hey, Downtown!

What about that theater restoration that WAMC headed up there in Albany?

Queen B

Cyburbian
Did you add a wedding picture that didn't attach????
We sure would love to see that!!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
A building that looks almost identical to that (shape and style) is the Old City Hall building in Marquette Mi. It is not a theater, but for the façade it could be an example.

In Reading PA, when they redid the performing arts center, they used private funds, and the PA Commonwealth Assistance Grant, and I think that there was some limited CDBG funding as well.

http://www.sovereigncenter.com/performingarts/index.asp

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
You could try these

The historic Hollywood Theater in Gowanda, NY

Earlville Opera House, Earlville, NY

I don't know what funding either of these used, but I'm sure you could contact them.

boiker

Cyburbian
They do it in illinois too..

Coronado Theatre

This was recently finished in late 2001. There are "virtual tours" of the theatre in the menu on the left. I believe it was renovated completly by private donations.

donk

Cyburbian
Here are a few from my province.

The Capitol in Moncton.

The Imperial in Saint John.

A funny story about the Imperial, I took a friend of my parent's on a site seeing tour of Saint John, he was 92 at the time. He'd been to Saint John in his 20's. All he could say is that the theatre looked exactly as he remembered. he did not realize that it had been completely restored.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
SGB said:
What about that theater restoration that WAMC headed up there in Albany?
WAMC is a good example, as is the restoration of the Palace Theatre in Albany--Einhorn, Yafee, Prescott handled the preservation efforts for the Palace and you can check out the photo gallery at www.palacealbany.com

Proctor's Theatre in Schenectady, NY is also very historic and could be used as a paradigm for the historic preservation of theatres because, as far as I know, the place hasn't changed a whole lot since it opened.

martini

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Virocqua, Wi has recently completed restoration of the Temple Theater, for which it has one a couple awards. There are several good projects in this PDF, but the theater projet begins on page 59: http://www.wisconsindowntown.org/pdf files/2002DowntownAwards.pdf

I was gonna mention VIROQUA, but you beat me to it by a long shot. Thanks. They truely did do a fantastic job with it. I've seen a few performances there, and watched some of the transformation. They deserve the awards they got.

Nice town, but hard to get a job in....tried moving there last year, to no avail.