• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Thesis bound

rurban

Hi everyone! Registered this morning after coming across this site while searching for interesting planning sites. I have a BA from the University of Toronto and I am now completing a Masters degree in planning. Looking forward to some good conversations. Any good thesis topics - toss my way.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hey! Welcome to our cyber nut ward and we look forward to hearing about your thesis (once you pic a topic ;-)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Gay and lesbian bike lanes in retirement towns where illegal fire house structures have been built by contractors who have been drinking beer and shopping for women who breast feed in their car.

More seriously, welcome, incidently, all of those items listed above are more or less current threads on this board.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome.

Good luck picking a topic.

[RANT]

I suggest the following topic & title: Rural Economic Development in the United States: A Study in Oxymorons.

[/RANT]

Belle

Cyburbian
Hello from another grad student! :)

I'm supposed to be beginning my thesis right now, but I'm still looking for a topic as well. I threatened earlier this month to start a thread on thesis topics, but have not yet gotten around to it. There are a few others here in our boat. Good luck with finding a topic!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Welcome, and good luck on your thesis! :b:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Again, welcome to cyburbia.

Are you doing your Masters at U of T? What sort of topics/areas are you interested in pursuing?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
If you have access to GIS, you can do your thesis on my favorite topic:

The socio-spatial relationship between property values and police response to domestic disturbance

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome to cyburbia.

For a thesis, you have to go with what interests you. Being from California (originally), I have always been interested in some of the "instant cities", such as the snowbird tent/rv cities of 3,000 or so people that live on the edge of the Salton Sea in in the winter. They have very bizarre social structures that change from one year to the next. I remember seeing one when I was a kid, and I've been interested ever since.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Thesis, eh!

What about "planning - art, science or bullshit". Doesn't matter who you ask, everyone will agree with at least one of the 3 options I cited!

Seriously though, what about an exploration of the polar extremes that exist in this profession between planning theory and real world practice.

What, too challenging, why not then do something that you may be able to sell to a client after you graduatre. Use GIS to explore the spatial distribution of "Starbucks", "Tim' Horton's", "Walgreens" Arbor Drugs" or "Canadian Tire" stores. Develop a predictive model and sell it to one of these corporate giants.

Too predictable, explore the differences in federal, state and municipal infastructure funding in the USA. Explain why it makes sense for Michgan to pave them state higways only once every 40 years (whether they need it or not) even when the state doesn't impose load limits that would increase the life expectancy of the state highway system.

Michigan should change its slogan on its plates from "great lakes state" to "shit roads state".

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
welcome from the southern side of a great lake state.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. I wrote 100+ pages on "The Intra-Metropolitan Migration of Manufacturing Firms in the Chicago Region, 1987-1992." It is a riviting topic.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome to the boards, and good luck with your thesis, from a not yet student of geography ;) :p

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Gay and lesbian bike lanes in retirement towns where illegal fire house structures have been built by contractors who have been drinking beer and shopping for women who breast feed in their car.

j_deuce

Cyburbian
pandersen said:
Thesis, eh!

What about "planning - art, science or bullshit". Doesn't matter who you ask, everyone will agree with at least one of the 3 options I cited!
Heh. i think maybe I'll do that one, if you don't mind!

donk

Cyburbian
If you are interested in housing here is one I would like to see done

"An examination of the real costs of home ownership. Are manufactured dwellings really affordable housing?"