• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Things that made an impression on you from kindergarten "Show & Tell"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I used to love 'show & tell' in early elementary school. Seems like it was one of the first activities of the day and given children's curiosity about the world, penchant for gross and/or amazing things, it often proved to be quite entertaining and memorable. One time a kid called Larry brought a cookie pan filled with worms he'd kept in wet paper towel. According to Larry, his mom gave him the canister to take to school and share with his schoolmates, but on the walks to school (it had rained the night before) he noticed there were worms all over so he ate all the cookies and used the empty container to store the worms he found on the street on his way into school!

Another time a kid brought in an entire tooth (root and all) after it got knocked out of his mouth roughhousing the previous day. It got passed around the circle for all the kids to hold in their hands and gape in amazement! How cool is that?

Sometimes it was actually educational. Theresa A's family flew to Hawaii for Christmas, and she brought back all sorts of treasures: postcards, leis, a hula skirt, a cool cup carved from wood, and lots of photographs of the beaches and Diamond head.

Any memorable events you recall from show & tell?

zman

Cyburbian
Probably when some kid brought in their dog... that was always a popular day.

My sons are old enough to love bathroom humor and, like their Old Man, will probably never grow out of it. They love the story from my kindergarten where we hatched ducklings and when I posed for a picture with it, the duckling pooped on my hand. :roflmao:
That's show and tell - ish, maybe? Dont mean to hijack.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
That's show and tell - ish, maybe? Dont mean to hijack.
Hey, that response beats the heck out of the "I'm sorry, but those brain cells died in the line of duty finishing off a keg in my sophomore year" type responses provided thus far!

Bubba

Cyburbian
Hey, that response beats the heck out of the "I'm sorry, but those brain cells died in the line of duty finishing off a keg in my sophomore year" type responses provided thus far!
Priorities, dude - I have a limited number of still active brain cells. I can remember sports trivia for things that happened before I was born, but I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last Wednesday.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
My SO remembers bringing in his first record "American Pie" by Don McLean to show & tell in kindergarten. His teacher asked "you have older siblings, don't you?".

Incidentally, my first record was Rubber Ducky by Bert & Ernie.

Similar.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I did have an older brother and never really got into 45s. I'm not sure which order they came in, but two of my first albums were Bob Seger Live Bullet and ELO Out of the Blue. I played them into oblivion. Boy do they sound scratchy now.

Out of my older brother's 45 collection though, I remember Marrakesh Express by Crosby, Stills & Nash, Vehicle by the Ides of March, Crystal Blue Persuasion by Tommy James and the Shondells, and of course Hippy Dippy Weatherman by George Carlin.