• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Things that make you feel old

H

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
...I wasn't intending to discriminate when I started this thread -- but I didn't start feeling old until I was in my 30s....

I didn’t feel discriminated against, I just was holding off because I did not fit the profile. No worries with me :)

Tom R

Cyburbian
apollo 11

I remember listening to the Apollo 11 moon landing on July 21, 1969. The date is important because most Americans listened to or watched it on July 20. I was in a Comm Center in Long Binh, South Vietnam, the other side of the International Date Line.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This is going to sounds bad, but the first of my High School Friends just got married. That freaked me out. (but hey, I am only 24)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
first
Looking at my pension fund balance every quarter, and the estimated monthly annuity.

7 years until I max out the years of service part of the formula, but 31 years before I can collect. Realizing that the best thing to do is to work in another state (or private sector) for the last 24 years of my career.

second
Looking around the USofA to get a sense of where I want to spend those last 24 years, and retirement after that. I'm leaning towards Nevada, Arizona, Colorado...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
more milestones:

Bobby Kennedy shot: Parents took over the t.v. in the living room (our only t.v.) so we couldn't watch cartoons.

Tiny Tim married on t.v.: Mom and Dad let us stay up late to see this on the Tonight Show.

Challenger: walked out the door to go to work, looked up, and saw the diverging trails to the east.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I feel old when...

...I see a car from my childhood - with a 'historical' plate!!!

(thanks to my husband for this one)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: I feel old when...

Mud Princess said:
...I see a car from my childhood - with a 'historical' plate!!!

OOOH thats a bad one for me too. Especially when I see a Red 1971 Pontiac GTO. My sister wrecked that baby that we went halfsies on to get. Ran it under the back of a semi. Makes me want to cry. (She lived)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Re: Re: I feel old when...

Chet said:
OOOH thats a bad one for me too. Especially when I see a Red 1971 Pontiac GTO. My sister wrecked that baby that we went halfsies on to get. Ran it under the back of a semi. Makes me want to cry. (She lived)

My sister and I shared a '73 Chevy Nova. She drove it into the ocean at New Smyrna Beach FL. It was never the same after that...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: I feel old when...

Chet said:
Ran it under the back of a semi. Makes me want to cry. (She lived)

I just realized how horrible that may seem. Im glad she lived. Im sad the car is gone.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
The challenger tragedy:

Try living in Christa McAulliffe's hometown. I was in 6th grade at the time, and we were doing all sorts of stuff in conjunction with the mission. I had my picture in the local paper 3 days before the accident, with a mock-up of a space shuttle that we had created and were doing projects with.

I vividly remember exactly where I was....sitting at my desk eating american chop suey for lunch, eyes glued to the TV in the classroom. We all cheered when the launch happened, and there was dead silence in the room for a good 2 minutes after the explosion. Most of us were crying after that. We were all sent home, and I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV watching the news, much of it being taped about 8 blocks away at the high school, where the national media outlets were reporting from.

I'll never forget that day, and the impact it had on Concord. It was my first real brush with tragedy.

SGB

Cyburbian
Knowing how young NHPlanner was when the Challenger disaster occured.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
The challenger tragedy: I was in 6th grade at the time,

Wow, I do not feel all that young now. I was in 1st grade. Many of the students where out side, but our class stayed in to watch it on TV. Many of us did not understand what had just happened, but we knew it was bad.

Does anyone else remember Michael Jackson's hair catching fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial? Or am I just tripping again?

biscuit

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
The challenger tragedy:

Try living in Christa McAulliffe's hometown. I was in 6th grade at the time...

I remember that vividly. I was eight-years-old at the time and was at watching the shuttle launch on TV (just like the rest of the country) at my grandmother's house becaue school was out for a snow day. I recall my grandparents stayed inside all day watching the coverage while we played in the snow.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Does anyone else remember Michael Jackson's hair catching fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial? Or am I just tripping again?

Yep. How about Richard Pryor setting himself on fire? Think that was around 1980.

Tom R

Cyburbian
fire

Zoning Goddess said:
Yep. How about Richard Pryor setting himself on fire? Think that was around 1980.

Or the guy who played Grizzly Adams, or the Bhudist. monks in Vietnam or, Rick Nelson....

No, wait, he didn't set HIMSELF on fire, but....

BKM

Cyburbian
All the 20-somethings on the post-a-picture thread. :( (40 in May)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Alas I remember all of these things :-( :-(

Queen B

Cyburbian
Oh, here is one for you.
Do you remember the commercial about pollution, with the indian with the tear in his eye?

"Tiny Tim married on t.v.: Mom and Dad let us stay up late to see this on the Tonight Show." My baby brother was born during that wedding. 8 years of being the only child down the drain...

Challenger- I was in college and oddly enough no one really reacted to it. I did take note of how strange that felt to me, the lack of acknowledgement at an educational facility.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Queen B said:
Oh, here is one for you.
Do you remember the commercial about pollution, with the indian with the tear in his eye?

Yep, still remember. Damn!

Quickly and without cheating.....name the indian.

carlomarx

Cyburbian
Say it ain't so!

travels to morningwood estates are less frequent

ianplanner, I thought that was just a myth!

I'd like to write more, but apparently I'm wasting valuable virility-time!

gottago!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Queen B said:

Challenger- I was in college and oddly enough no one really reacted to it. I did take note of how strange that felt to me, the lack of acknowledgement at an educational facility.

I guess it had a major impact here, since we all saw it happen in the sky, not on t.v. I went to work and turned on the t.v. (bookstore) and most of the customers just wanted to watch the t.v. to get updates. It was very sobering.

SGB

Cyburbian
Forget the impact NHPlanner's age at the Challenger disaster.

SkeLeton's age & photo are making me feel ancient! Now where the !@#! is my bursitis medicine......