• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Things that make you go..

Habanero

Cyburbian
WTF?!?! :)

I just read a plan.. it said "dumbster". And then I went to check the facade plan.. "nutmeat" is the main exterior color. And commercial is spelled "comercail". Ugh.

Also got another plan back after returning it with comments.. the comments the applicant had for me.. "STUPID!STUPID!STUPID!"

Last edited:

El Feo

Cyburbian
Hmmm. "Nutmeat."

Is that the color of Rocky Mountain oysters before, or after cooking?

nerudite

Cyburbian
We have a surveyor in town that uses an autocad template when preparing survey plans. On every plan I've ever received the word "settlement" is spelled wrong. I think they spell it "setllement". I remind them *every* time to take this off their template and to fix it. Some people are just clueless or lazy I guess.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
TexasPlanner said:

Also got another plan back after returning it with comments.. the comments the applicant had for me.. "STUPID!STUPID!STUPID!"
Those are the type of applications that end up in my bottom drawer... or last on the agenda.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Technology breeds laziness. Too many people think spellcheck is a substitute for proofreading, or find/replace is a viable alternative to original writing. I mayself am guilty of re-using old agendas and just typing in the new items. Occassionally I will slip up and leave in an old date.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
"Occassionally I will slip up and leave in an old date"

OMG! planner types can be human? I hope mugbug isn't on line.

I get really preturbed when six figure bond attorneys don't bother to proofread their materials. Often I see that the city is correct, but no one bothers to see if the county is. City of Dodge City, Hamilton County, Ohio does not cut it (for example).

Cardinal

Cyburbian
mike gurnee said:
"Occassionally I will slip up and leave in an old date"

OMG! planner types can be human? I hope mugbug isn't on line.

I get really preturbed when six figure bond attorneys don't bother to proofread their materials. Often I see that the city is correct, but no one bothers to see if the county is. City of Dodge City, Hamilton County, Ohio does not cut it (for example).
Technically I am more of an economic developer. Whether or not planners are human is still debatable.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Technology breeds laziness. Too many people think spellcheck is a substitute for proofreading, or find/replace is a viable alternative to original writing. I mayself am guilty of re-using old agendas and just typing in the new items. Occassionally I will slip up and leave in an old date.
AutoCAD doesn't have spell check. I know in my company we read and read and then reread again all the notes, signature blocks, etc. but these mistakes do happen.

While it is the engineer's responsibility to chack the plans, you have to remember that the Cad Techs preparing them probably didn't go to college, and are making a slaary not too much above minimum wage.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I think we should be able to grade plans on a letter grade scale just like in school. most that i have seen would get C's and D's a few B's but many F's

i had a reviewer once for me that would put a HUGE red X on the plan and write "NO! Try again" it was sooooo funny

d

Habanero

Cyburbian
If some Mod God could go ahead and delete this thread, once the evil little monkey spoke it just isn't the same-

donk

Cyburbian
the newer (ie acad 2000) does have spell check, but it is a pain to use as the text must be selected and proof read, not dynamic like word were it assesses as you type.

As for find and replace, I just got a call about a letter I sent out this week with the wrong dates in it and a few other minor problems.

Please excuse my many typos lately, I cut the tip of a finger off and it is one of the few that I actually use when typing.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
Please excuse my many typos lately, I cut the tip of a finger off and it is one of the few that I actually use when typing.
You must be one of those lazy government workers Mugbub keeps going on about...

;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TexasPlanner said:
If some Mod God could go ahead and delete this thread, once the evil little monkey spoke it just isn't the same-
No need to delete threads - we can delete individual posts.

Consider it done.

donk

Cyburbian
My autocad education occurred when it was easier to type then pull down menus, but for the new commands it is easier for me to pull them down.

here is the best I can do to walk you through

1) Click/select TOOLS from the top line
2) Spelling should be the top item
3) select spelling
4) select the text /grouping you would like to spell check (left click)
5) return / right click to select
6) go through the selections for spelling options for each word.

If i knew how to do a screen capture, i would to show you better.

As I was typing this, I thought of what is probably the line command. Simply type <SPELL> into command line then select objects as you normally would for editing.