• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Things To Do In Montana??

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am going to Montana over labor day weekend and will be there for about a week. I have a wedding that I am standing up in in Missoula, but the rest of the week is reserved for travel. I am planning on spending a few days in Glacier. Having never been to Montana, I am asking you, the knowledgable, well-traveled Cyburbia crowd, what are the must-see places? What about places to stay? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I may be in Glacier at the same time, if I do not go to Alaska instead. Are you flying or driving? There are at best a handful of things to see along the way. When it comes to Glacier:

1. The old lodges can be really spectacular.
2. The lodge at St. Mary's may be the most convenient place to stay. The same goes with the campground there.
3. Around Labor Day it will not be very busy, as most of the families are already headed back home for school.
4. The women in Alberta tend to be more attractive than those in Montana.
5. Great trails include Swiftcurrent Pass, Grinnell Glacier, Avalanche Lake, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Hidden Lake, and Iceberg Lake. Truth is, there are many great ones.
6. If you are up for a really challenging hike, try Triple Divide Pass. You can even scramble up Triple Divide Peak - the point where water flows to the Atlantic, Pacific, and Arctic Oceans.
7. Enjoy the wild huckleberries and thimbleberries that will be ripe then.
8. The place to see mountain goats is Logan Pass. Your best chances of seeing a bear are at Many Glacier.

donk

Cyburbian
Try and visit the dental floss farms to meet a dental floss tycoon.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Well, it's been decided. I am going to Glacier on August 22nd (arrive the 23rd) and will be there through Saturday of Labor Day weekend. I'm staying at St. Mary's. If it works out, I'll buy the Moose Drool.

Sue

Things are burning and smokey here already! Haven't had rain in about three months! I'm going to the park this weekend and am going to probably hit many glacier although I'm afraid it'll be crowded since the west side is burning. One of the greatest day hikes in the park is Pitamakin Pass which is south of St. Mary's, you start at Two Medicine.
Something to consider.....if the fires keep burning, which they will cause it won't rain til the middle of Sept., it'll be so smokey that the temps in the park will probably be extra chilly since there will be no sun. Also, hiking in smoke sucks!
We are in our 5th year of a bad drought, everything is brown and dormant already. Some say it'll be worse than the summer of 2K.
I live on Flathead Lake(btwn Missoulie and Glacier) if you want to contact me for things to see and do. Definetely go to the Bison Range if its open (things, like the forests, close down during high fire danger)
Also, check out the native american museums.....Ninepipes Lodge on Hwy 93 in Charlo and The Peoples Center on Hwy 93 in Pablo are on the way to the park, the Museum of the Plains Indian is in Browning, on Rte 2 heading to the east side of the park.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess[/i] [B]Gee said:
Also, check out the native american museums.....Ninepipes Lodge on Hwy 93 in Charlo and The Peoples Center on Hwy 93 in Pablo are on the way to the park, the Museum of the Plains Indian is in Browning, on Rte 2 heading to the east side of the park.
I forgot about these. I have been to the Museum of the Plains Indian and it was excellent. I may have to check out the others. Haven't seen an introduction yet, but I'll add another dot to the Cyburbia map!

SGB

Cyburbian
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is headquartered in Missoula, also. They've got an interesting museum to visit.