• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Things you think most zoning codes forget ...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Before you say "No Wal-Mart," keep in mind this is a serious thread.

For instance, consider uses such as shopping cart corrals and charity donation boxes in large parking lots. I've NEVER seen a zoning code with language that includes requirements for the placement and screening of semi-permanent accessory structures in parking lots. If a cart corral or charity donation box is placed, is the total number of parking spaces for the site considered reduced? Again, I've never seen any language ... so I wrote some myself.

Here's another thing I see from time to time.

1oklahoma_truck_supply-med.jpg

I call 'em "redneck signs" (sorry rednecks) - large objects, usually vehicles or tractors, mounted on poles and used as signs. Aside from size and height requirements, I've never seen language prohibiting the use of such objects as freestanding signs. So, again, I wrote some.

411.5 Prohibited signs

The following signs are prohibited in all districts, unless noted.

Large objects such as cars, boats, engine blocks, home appliances, heavy equipment, industrial machinery, truck trailers, aircraft, and similar objects used as or included in freestanding or attached signs.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
1. Provisions for reasonable display and placement of newspaper boxes in public rights of way. It can be done, but must be done veeerrry carefully.

2. Use of inflatable graphics.

3. Agriculture is an INDUSTRY. Most codes give ag exemptions on the rationale that it is the lowest land use. NOT.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Wow, it looks like a scene from Twister. How come we never get cool, inventive stuff down here??

No, wait, I take that back. The last time I was in "THE TOWN NEXT DOOR", (Yes, Dan's town next door) one of the RV dealers still had a teeny tiny RV up on a pole, as an ad.

That said, one thing our zoning code doesn't address, but should, is PODS (Portable On Demand Storage). Butt-ugly, but no way to regulate, as of yet.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Around here, it seems like most codes forget adequate landscaping provisions... especially for screening of parking lots or breaking up large expanses of asphalt. Nothing worse than a huge parking lot with not one tree to be seen.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Zoning Goddess said:
That said, one thing our zoning code doesn't address, but should, is PODS (Portable On Demand Storage). Butt-ugly, but no way to regulate, as of yet.
That crap is just starting to show up around here. I just have to shake my head at these guys.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
My city's zoning code (which has been 'under revision' for 4 years now) is oblivious to the fact that suburban standards cannot be applied to older neighborhoods.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
1. Outdoor display of things like charcoal, windshield washer fluid, etc.

2. Similar to Chet, newsboxes in the right-of-way. We have to allow them, but we have no measures to really go after them when people take the free publication to the bus stops and leave them scattered about.

3. Use of RV/Motorhomes in your driveway. Our ordinance says they can be stored there but there are no provisions about using them while stored.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
SW MI Planner said:
Banned 'em. No prefabricated or preengineered accessory buildings larger than 150 square feet. I had a picture of a prefab carport/tent with a circle/slash superimposed on it, ... let's see if I can find it.

Even if they weren't banned, if you see them in the front yard or too close to a building, there's no reason why the normal standards for accessory structures wouldn't apply.

Good point about the PODS. I used to let 'em go if they were up for a week or less. If they were in place longer, I'd consider them accessory buildings, and hit the property owner with all sorts of violations; no building permit, visible outdoor storage in a residential zoning district, accessory building in the front yard, placement too close to the primary structure (house), off-premises advertising (no sign permit, too large, billboards not permitted, etc.), and no permanent anchoring to the ground to meet Florida building code requirements. Once I had a PODS unit tagged because it was in the ROW; it could have been hauled away 72 hours after tagging, but fortunately it was moved before then.

Chet said:
2. Use of inflatable graphics.
The code I wrote banned baloons and inflatable objects as part of a temporary display.

lowlyplanner

Cyburbian
Our code doesn't make any distinction between existing buildings and new construction. It may have been built before we had zoning, but it doesn't meet that 20 foot setback, it needs an Administrative Deviation... How do other cities address this?

Our codes does come down hard on "Palmists, astrologists, psychics, clairvoyants, phrenologists and similar uses," limiting them to the most intense commercial districts.