• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Thirsty? Don't look at this Las Cruces thread (broadband recommended)

jresta

Cyburbian
The backdrop is really nice but the rest of it just depresses the hell out of me.

it reminds of the set of some cheesy early 90's movie about suburban kids fed up with their environment or some indie flick about desolation and despair.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
jresta said:
The backdrop is really nice but the rest of it just depresses the hell out of me.

it reminds of the set of some cheesy early 90's movie about suburban kids fed up with their environment or some indie flick about desolation and despair.

Yeah, I can see a group of "bored-out of their minds" kids hanging-out and starting small fires on that residential street. :-\

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have been there a few times, last month most recently. It is not a city that inspires me, although there is a great deal of potential in the setting (to the east). Maybe it has too much of a military presence, or maybe it is the interstate sprawl. Anyway, there are still many far worse places.

BKM

Cyburbian
I sorta agree with Cardinale-there are far worse places. I actually thought some of the (admittedly boring) streets had a certain sleepy charm. Not a place I would want to live, but compared to midwestern factory towns of similar size (Marion, Indiana, anyone?) its not THAT bad. Or is it, Dan?

H

Cyburbian
I have never been, but I know it is home New Mexico State University. Does the U give a university vibe to the city??