• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

This Day in (Personal) History (29 Feb)

At about 6:30am, I announced to several lists that my new homeschooling website at www.califmichele.com had finally gone Live (it was much delayed, what with the death of my hard drive). On my way to bed to catch just a few Z's, it occured to me that it is Leap Day and that, 16 years ago today, I arrived in Germany, with an 8 month old infant on my hip. That child is now taller than I am and Michele's World! (my homeschooling website) would not exist if not for him. (He makes for great Material.)

I have several other personal "this day in history" stories: Not only did I arrive in Germany on Leap Day but I left 3 years and 8 months later on All Hallow's Eve (Halloween). My oldest child was born the day after I turned 22 and my youngest was born on my 5th wedding anniversary. (I tell everyone that my husband is "too cheap to buy me anything" -- some folks are horrified when I say that, as if something like that could actually be Planned. God -- buy yourself a sense of humor!)

What are your Interesting Personal "Day in History" stories?

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Well No 'This day That Year' stories for me but sure the number thirteen and three has some historical significance for me.
Now let me think...

June 4, 2004

Just "Talking to myself", I guess. :-D

An update for "This day in (personal) history":
On June 4, 1983, I graduated from high school.
On June 4, 2004, I "graduated" to the ranks of the Officially Self Employed by getting my business license and fictitious business name registration. :)

I guess this thread will by my "blog". ;-)

yaff

Cyburbian
Michelle,

Congratulations on being your own corporation :) Hope all your hard work bears lots of good fruit. I can't think of any personal milestones for this day in history to share though.

Oh, thanks.

What is even cooler is that I kind of "had to" get my business license so I can set up my bank account because I acquired My First Paying Client last weekend. Long story and I do not really feel ready to post 'before' and 'after' website links for the website I am redesigning and taking over Professional Management of. :) And there is a fabulous deal at the bank where I can get some fees waived if I open my business account before June 30th and jump through a few other minor hoops. :) :)

So: Happy Early Birthday To Me. :-D

Independence Day

July 4th, 2004: Personal Independence Day

I have lots to do today so I will skip the soap-opera style, long background. I am sure many will appreciate that. :-}

Short version: Hubby will be getting a storeroom this week to store the couch that is making me ill that he does not want to part with. "Since we are going to have a storeroom anyway"... he is going to start boxing up towels, dishes, and what have you that are "his" and hauling them to the storeroom. HE doesn't think this way, but it is clear to me that he has just agreed to start the moving out process. :-D

He is saying that he thinks he will be here until January and maybe he could leave as early as December. My gut says: 60 to 90 days. ;-) (Well, September or October, anyways. That could be closer to 120 days. :-\ )

Time for me to start looking for a smaller apartment. :)