• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

This explains alot

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar

michaelskis said:
But he makes up for it in all that he has accomplished.
Me run country pretty! Family friends no ever help me. Accomplishments all mine!

You know, I have a son with auditory processing problems who mis-hears what I say if he isn't looking directly at me when I speak to him. He apparently supplements his defective hearing with lip-reading. But he is, hands down, the smartest person I know. He was kindly explaining Einstien's Theories to me when he was 13 -- talking slow, using little words, and repeating himself a lot. And I am no dummy myself: I have plenty of academic awards to "prove" that I am "smart".

The terms in the article, such as CAPD, are all abundantly familiar to me from various homeschooling lists. Most "geniuses" appear to simply be Different. That about them which is different seems to be the source of their genius and also the source of "Eccentricities" -- which are made fun of if you dislike them or treated like endearing quirks that make them more human and accessible if you are fond of them.

I hope this article does something to promote awareness of and sensitivity to the fact that some kind of speach impediment does not in any way mean a person is "stupid". I also hope that folks can separate their political hostility towards this nation's leader from the valid points made about a fairly deep topic. I would hate to see it become just the butt of more hostile jokes. You can hate him for his politics, I don't care. But can we lighten up on the "retard" slant to this thread? It is offensive to anyone who has any kind of genuine handicap.

It is a myth that "smart people" are equally smart in all areas -- and I, personally, can't understand why this myth persists, given the overwhelming evidence of people like Einstein, who didn't comb his hair and had to keep his own address in his jacket pocket because he couldn't remember it. Newton was homeschooled after the schools labeled him "unteachable". Charlemagne spoke and read 6 languages but never learned to write any of them -- because he couldn't master the physical act of writing. The description I have heard of his writing issue.., well, I would term that "severe dysgraphia".

From my point of view, the author of the article was woefully ignorant of the topic he chose. I and many of my friends could have done the topic more justice. He didn't even cite any of the better-known and more well-respected experts on such things. Nor did he even touch on "multiple intelligences" nor mention some of the latest research coming out, I believe in a book called "Different Minds", about dyslexia, autism, et al.

Gee, didn't you know this was an area of expertise for me when you posted it? 8-! :-D :-D :-D :) I guess not, given that my homeschooling website hasn't had enough traffic for all of Cyburbia to have looked it over yet. :p

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
And now the article won't even load!

By the way, I have always done very well in many areas of expertise and intelligence, and have been evaluated as being in one of the highest levels of intelligence...but don't ask me to do math. I can't. It just doesn't compute.

So he flubs words, or so I guess the article was about. But if you were constantly doing public speaking, so would you, most likely. Just listen closely to a news broadcast on television sometime, with your eyes closed and your mind focused. You'll hear the reporters mess up constantly.

freewaytincan said:
And now the article won't even load!

By the way, I have always done very well in many areas of expertise and intelligence, and have been evaluated as being in one of the highest levels of intelligence...but don't ask me to do math. I can't. It just doesn't compute.
My oldest son can't do math either. To convince him that math was not put on planet earth merely to torture him, we read part of a book about conceptual calculus. Calculus is the math for physics. He liked it and it made more sense to him than multiplication and such -- and I know folks who will not "dignify" multiplication and such by calling it "math". There is more to math than that. lol.

The article was about various hypotheses of what kind of learning disability or processing disorder "experts" have speculated he might have. One of the ones they missed: "giftedness". lol. Extreme giftedness often results in extreme boredom. Such kids are often mislabeled "ADD", lol. Especially if they are very kinesthetic and can't sit still. I would not be surprised to find that Bush has some undiagnosed disorder or disability. But it is more complex than that.

BKM

Cyburbian
I've never bought into the George W is "stupid" meme. There are flaws that he does have, in this liberal democrat's view, but I confess to irritation at another "Dumb W" joke.

BKM said:
I've never bought into the George W is "stupid" meme. There are flaws that he does have, in this liberal democrat's view, but I confess to irritation at another "Dumb W" joke.
Actually, I didn't entirely take RJ's first post that way. His post was ambiguous and open to interpretation. But that was sort of the way the thread turned later -- not really any one post but the sum of them all, I guess.

BKM

Cyburbian
Actually, I was making more of a general comment than responding to a particular thread. :)

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Same with Clinton. I don't like the man, but he is clearly very, very intelligent. Not only was he a Rhodes Scholar, but with the kind of election he ran and getting a two term presidency, he can't possibly be stupid either.

Stupid people can't make it to President, if you think about it.

BKM: I know what you mean. "Context" sometimes implies things we never intended. (OT: One of these days, when I get up at 9am -- which I sometimes do, although this morning I was crawling off to bed at 9am, sigh -- I am going to show up at your office for lunch, track you down and ask if you are "busy". And let the rumors fly. :-D Thou art a tough guy to hook up with. But thanks for giving me the heads up about not getting shot at yesterday. 8-! )

freewaytincan: One thing is that being brilliant doesn't mean you can explain it so that others can understand your brilliant plan. It is kind of like the fact that many people who are brilliant mathematicians cannot teach it. That is a different skill set. Besides: explaining your grand plan to Take Over The World may be a dumb idea. :-D It might clue people who want to stop you. ;-) <bwa ha ha>