• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

this is where I"m from....

martini

Cyburbian
A town of drunken rioting. Great! Reports are that the cops actually had apart in instigating it. ONe party was reported to be 500+ and two to three others at 300+ all were shut down at essentailly the same time, forcing 800 to 1000 drunks onto the street with no where to go all at once. Add into the fact that it was a pretty nice night out and one thing leads to another....

Sounds like a typical night out to me. ;)

It also reminds me of that year when people in Seattle and I think Philly tried to party like it was Mardi Gras and all hell broke loose.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The Fat Tuesday riots on South Street in Philly....you just don't get much better than that.

Drunken debauchery at its best.

martini

Cyburbian
yep good 'ol MSU. bored drunk kids who are too young to go to the bar. That's the jist of it. That and cops itchin' to get a beatin' on. There's been a few pics of them with sticks and smiles I've seen already.

Bangorian

This happened about three different times while I was going to Michigan State University. One time it was a direct response to a keg ban on campus, once in response to a new city ordinance banning more than 5 unrelated people living together (in a college town, that's a big deal) and the other time it was exuberant parties gone bad (when the Bball team was in the midst of winning the national championship). Each time I think it happened in 3-4 different locations around town and usually involved a couch burning in the road that eventually turned into kids burning whatever was in sight and lobbing frozed 40's at the cops. In one case, they flipped a cop car and set it on fire.

A pretty proud moment in my life, to be a student at Michigan State.

Fortunately enough, it happened a bunch of other times at Purdue, Dave Matthews Band Concerts, and otehr places, which at least took the focus off us...