• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

This might degenerate quickly

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Let's have a contest to see who can come up with the most obscure Monty Python's Flying Circus quote/phrase.

Sorry, but we must limit this to the BBC tv series only, no movies, records or live appearences allowed.:k

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Chemist, handing out prescriptions: "Who's got the chest rash?"

Shapely woman "Me"

Chemist "Hmmm, better get a bigger bottle"

and...

"Who's got the boil on the bum?"

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Is your name not Bruce?

No, its Micheal.

Mind if we call you Bruce, just to keep it clear.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
"Come to think of it, most people enjoy a good laugh more than I do."

otterpop

Cyburbian
"Some people pooh-pooh Australian table wine."

"It has a bouquet like an Aborigine's armpit."

Or

"This is the wattle. Emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle. You can hold it in your hand." Must be said with an outrageously thick and bad Australian accent.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
"So, how many sheds DO you have?"

OR

"It's expired, mate."

OR

"Confuse-A-Cat."

OR

"But the sign on your door says 'Arguments'....."
"No it doesn't."
_____

Bear

The One

Cyburbian
Ok....

SPAM....SPAM....SPAM....SPAM....SPAM.....SPAM.....SPAM.....SPAM....SPAM.....SPAM.....SPAM.....SPAM.....SPAM.....SPAM.....SPAM.....Baked Beans....and SPAM.....:-D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
"It was obvious that this joke was lethal... no one could read it and live ... "

"Even Dinsdale was frightened of Doug."

Just for Maister and Gedunker

"Erik Njorl, son of Frothgar, leaves his home to seek Hangar the Elder at the home of Thorvald Nlodvisson, the son of Gudleif, half brother of Thorgier, the priest of Ljosa water, who took to wife Thurunn, the mother of Thorkel Braggart, the slayer of Cudround the powerful, who knew Howal, son of Geernon, son of Erik from Valdalesc, son of Arval Gristlebeard, son of Harken, who killed Bjortguaard in Sochnadale in Norway over Cudreed, daughter of Thorkel Long, the son of Kettle-Trout, the half son of Harviyoun Half-troll, father of Ingbare the Brave, who with Isenbert of Gottenberg the daughter of Hangbard the Fierce ...."

Luca

Cyburbian
..."it's a piston engine!" (in a cockney, mock-female accent)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
"I was sitting in the public library down on Thurmon street reading through some Rogue Harrys when I suddenly came over all peckish."

Note: just to reiterate - any quotes in this thread are only allowed to be from the BBC tv series, not any of the movies, recordings, live concerts, etc.

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
"I don't care how f***ing runny it is, hand it over with all due speed"

"Oh look, the cat's eaten it!"

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
"I don't care how f***ing runny it is, hand it over with all due speed"

"Oh look, the cat's eaten it!"
The Cheese Shop sketch is one of the top five greatest MPFC sketches.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Somebody in my office just commented on the fact that I was wearing a Lumberjack shirt - a red & black plaid. :-D
Then I asked them if they knew the classic MP Lumberjack song and they did not know it at all. :-o
What is wrong with some people's education ? :p ;)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
JNA said:
Somebody in my office just commented on the fact that I was wearing a Lumberjack shirt - a red & black plaid. :-D
Then I asked them if they knew the classic MP Lumberjack song and they did not know it at all. :-o
What is wrong with some people's education ? :p ;)
*LOL* it's been ages but I remember a snippet....

I cut down trees, I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear papa.

Planit

Cyburbian
....sitting around drinking Watney's Red Barrel....:b:
or
A man with 3 buttocks
or
What makes a man want to be a mouse?
or
And now for something completely different. (which is not obscure, but has to be apart of any MPFC discussion);)

boiker

Cyburbian
Ok, now hypnotize this rock to sleep.

I can't.

What do you mean you can't

It's already asleep.

statler

Cyburbian
Shut That Bloody Bazouki Off!

Or my favorite:

No, no - we don't have 'Rarnaby Budge' by Charles Dikkens with two 'k's the well-known Dutch author, and perhaps to save time I should add right away that we don't have 'Carnaby Fudge' by Daries Tikkens, nor 'Stickwick Stapers' by Miles Pikkens with four Ms and a silent Q, why don't you try the chemist?

I did. They sent me here.

teshadoh

Cyburbian
This is a 12-story block combining classical neo-Georgian features with the efficiency of modern techniques. The tenants arrive here and are carried along the corridor on a conveyor belt in extreme comfort, past murals depicting Mediterranean scenes, towards the rotating knives. The last twenty feet of the corridor are heavily soundproofed. The blood pours down these chutes and the mangled flesh slurps into these...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
mendelman said:
This might degenerate quickly
Oh my, look what you have started :-D Seems there are a lot of MP fans here!

CCMNUT39 said:
BUT I don't like Spam!!!!!!
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread, having never seen the actual show - BUT - on Saturday we're going to the City (that's NYC) to see Spamalot!

Seats are in the first row of the balcony.

:D

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Downtown said:
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread, having never seen the actual show - BUT - on Saturday we're going to the City (that's NYC) to see Spamalot!

Seats are in the first row of the balcony.

:D
Saw it two weeks ago....very good.:)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
mendelman said:
Saw it two weeks ago....very good.:)
Yes, but would Spamalot be funny if one never saw 'Holy Grail' and missed all the references or even had a flavor of Python based on the tv show? My wife said one day that she could not understand why I, or anyone else for that matter, find the Simpsons funny - I wondered how anyone could not. I later discovered that she got almost none of the cultural references. :-| No wonder she didn't like it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Maister said:
Yes, but would Spamalot be funny if one never saw 'Holy Grail' and missed all the references or even had a flavor of Python based on the tv show? My wife said one day that she could not understand why I, or anyone else for that matter, find the Simpsons funny - I wondered how anyone could not. I later discovered that she got almost none of the cultural references. :-| No wonder she didn't like it.
My wife thoroughly enjoyed Spamalot, and most of the references were new to her.

I think that is the unique nature of MP. Yes, many MP fans will get the references, but the MP newbies will most likely find the stuff funny, simply because it is funny. Though, it helps if one has the personality to get it.

My major concern before seeing it was that it would be to derivative and rely too much on references. But I was happy to discover that the references were merely a framework (and actually reworked) on which to construct a musical comedy.