• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

This Profession

Glomer

Hey all you city planners.........take a break from your arduous job of molding the future of your cities for the better and tell me what you love and hate about this profession.

Love: the sunshine, rainbows and lollipops feeling that comes from helping the community

Hate: how quickly politics can completely f*** a good project, or prevent one from getting started in the first place.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
love seeing a great idea get supported & implemented

hate politicians that spew venom especially if they dont have a grasp of the facts

love helping people that thank you for your help

hate helping people that then mutter crap about bureaucrats under their breath as they walk away

love promoting but still being low key or "behind the scenes"; don't particularly care care to take credit or take the spot light.
hate public speaking.

love cyburbia

hate number crunching - get me out in the field once in a while for g*d sake!

love the art of negotiation

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hate the politics - both internal and external. I've got a job to do and the pettiness is a waste of time.

Love seeing a good project come together.

Love having the opportunity to make a difference.

StGeorge

Love -- making a difference in a community
-- explaining to someone what i do for a living and receiving the standard blank stare in return

Hate -- the pay!
--

LOVE - myself for caring about what happens to the communities and cities. :)

HATE - myself for caring enough to pass up a lucrative career in ANYTHING else for this. :-(

Jeff

Cyburbian
Absolutely hated the politics that was involved with the planning profession so I left it, and took a job as a designer with a fast-paced engineering firm.

Much more gratifying, instead of saying "No I don't like that" and nobody listens to you anyway, I now take what I like and work them into developments. Plus, there is just so much more going on. The planning filed barely touches the surface as to all that really goes on and is involved with development.

Especially in PA, I mean in PA a planner is pretty much a dreamer because the planning agencies have no regulatory power. The municipalities can take what they say as the word of God or they can completely disregard everything they say. It seems like it was a never-ending uphill battle.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I love being able to play some small part in shaping the growth and thus history of the city i called home. i love helping the little guy realize a dream.

i hate the big guy the screws the little guy. the poilitics, the inability to think outside the box in gov work. the stuffed shirts that take themselves too serious

D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hate being the only one in the office on a Friday after a holiday!