• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Those speedy guys (or gals) at AICP

jestes

Cyburbian
Okay, I finally broke down, counted out $60.00 in quarters and applied for the AICP exam. Do any of you know how long it takes for them to notify you that you are actually approved to sit for the exam?

I mean really, being a Planner and all I do actually have this nasty habit of planning my own life, including what tasks have to be performed or events attended over then coming months.

What is the trend as you AICP'ers have experienced it? Do they wait until the last moment to notify you or will I have an opportunity to schedule my life around exam prep and the actual exam date?

According to the FAQ's , it will take approximately 6 - 8 weeks to be notified. That gives you approximately 8-12 weeks to learn a bunch of crap you'll never need to know again in life. ;)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
The thing I don't get is that you have to pay so much before they'll tell you whether or not you can even take the test, and yet the website is so vague...does my internship count? If so, how much? Does it matter how long or short it was, and does all the work I did in school count.....I emailed them once to ask, just to get an informal opinion, and never heard. Perhaps I should have included my credit card number.....

jestes

Cyburbian
Forget about trying to e-mail AICP. I have tried a couple of times with zero results. I guess that I too should have included my credit card number in my message.

Oops, I almost forgot, they did email me when they discovered that they had double charged me for my application fee. I guess that they really aren't the greedy, bottom-feeders that we all suspect...NOT.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
According to the FAQ's , it will take approximately 6 - 8 weeks to be notified. That gives you approximately 8-12 weeks to learn a bunch of crap you'll never need to know again in life. ;)
What, you haven't been asked "Who said, 'Make no small plans' ?" at a cocktail party?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
What, you haven't been asked "Who said, 'Make no small plans' ?" at a cocktail party?
My grandmother is convinced Shakespeare said that, and I don't have the heart to tell her otherwise....