• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Those "whacky" Australians #1

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Killing cats can be good for your health!

LONDON (Reuters) - Frequent masturbation, particularly in the 20s, helps prevent prostate cancer (news - web sites) later in life, according to new research.

Australian scientists have shown that the more men masturbate between the ages of 20 and 50, the less likely they are to develop the disease that kills more than half a million men each year.

They suspect that frequent ejaculation has a protective effect against the cancer because it prevents dangerous carcinogens from building up in the gland.

"The more you flush the ducts out, the less there is to hang around and damage the cells that line them," Graham Giles, of the Cancer Council Victoria in Melbourne, told New Scientist magazine on Wednesday.

In a survey of 1,079 prostate cancer patients and 1,259 healthy men, Giles and his team discovered that men who ejaculated more than five times a week in their 20s were a third less likely to develop an aggressive form of the disease.

The findings contradict previous studies which suggested that having a variety of partners or frequent sexual activity could increase the risk of prostate cancer by 40 percent.

But Giles said the earlier research concentrated on intercourse, whereas his study focused on masturbation. Infections caused by sexual activity could account for the different findings.

"Men have many ways of using their prostate which don't involve women or other men," he added.

Alright, who wants to be the first to take a shot at this one?

BKM

Cyburbian
Based on this report, all of us are too busy visiting "other" types of websites to bother with responding to this one :)

(At least, when we are using our computers at home, that is :) )

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm having to learn braille but I have a damn healthy prostrate.

Rem

Cyburbian
I find it highly disturbing that Australian research assumes/concludes that frequent ejaculation equals frequent masturbation.

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
I find it highly disturbing that Australian research assumes/concludes that frequent ejaculation equals frequent masturbation.
but not surprising ;)

Rem

Cyburbian
I could speculate about what an NZ researcher might assume but I've already made one too many sheep jokes on this board. Besides I predict some humble pie being served to me following the first NZ/Aus tri-nations match.