• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Thought provoking questions of the day

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Some interesting questions popped into my head while trying to figure out what to wear this morning.

Do you match your socks to your shoes or your pants?

What color socks do you wear if your wearing jeans?

If your wearing khaki's and a sweater and brown shoes, are you *really* not supposed to wear a black coat and carry a black purse? Does that mean you are supposed to have a black, brown, blue, etc. winter coat, and a variety of purses to switch with your wardrobe?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Always match socks to belt, shoes and tie...

The rest all just falls into place, and a black leather jacket goes with anything.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I never did understand this stuff. I think that unless you live in Paris, Milan or you are in the biz... then who really follows this? In Los Angeles it was a free-for-all growing up... and sandals matched with most anything... no need for socks. :)

And to solve the coat/purse dilemma... do what I do: get a coat with lots of pockets and don't wear a purse. I know, I'm not a normal girl.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I have heard that it is proper to match your socks with your pants...which is usually what I do.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
im a bit anal about this all my leathers must match-purse, belt, shoes, etc

now if only i could find a brown leather cell phone cover so that would match to.

but i hardly ever wear brown leather...though i do have some nice red leather as well-i wear black shoes with that

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
The only time my clothes ever really match is when my wife picks 'em out for me. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My purse matches everything - rhinestones are the ultimate accessorizer.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
Do you match your socks to your shoes or your pants?
Yes, most of the time.

What color socks do you wear if your wearing jeans?
White, almost always.

If your wearing khaki's and a sweater and brown shoes, are you *really* not supposed to wear a black coat
Technically, I suppose not. But then how many coats are you really supposed to have? My red and white Wisconsin jacket tends to go with almost everything.

and carry a black purse?
No male should ever carry a purse, unless he wants to look really effeminate, or French.

SGB

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Thought provoking questions of the day

Michael Stumpf said:

No male should ever carry a purse, unless he wants to look really effeminate, or French.
But a backpack will work just fine for those folks (m or f) that just have way too much stuff to carry in a purse!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Thought provoking questions of the day

Michael Stumpf said:

But then how many coats are you really supposed to have? My red and white Wisconsin jacket tends to go with almost everything.

For the record, the purse comment was a joke. And I don't have a manbag or murse either. ;)

As far as jackets, I'm really bad this way:

-London Fog ski parka
-London Fog Trenchcoat
-Lands End parka
-Black leather long coat for hanging out with the Chads and Trixies
-Black leather biker jacket for riding
-Black leather biker jacket for posing
-Brown leather bomber jacket for hanging out with the Chads and Trixies
-Black and Grey Wool Harley Davidons jacket for riding when its friggin cold
-Black wool trenchcoat for professional occassions
-the misc demin jackets, windbreakers etc.

It's a 6' wide closet full. How gay is that.

EDIT: Dont answer

The socks or, in most cases, pantyhose, should match the shoes. I don't change purses often (too much of a hassle) so I have a tendency to clash with the rest of my outfit. It's okay to wear a black jacket with khaki and brown. If you coordinate too much, you'll either look like a Catholic school refugee or a person with "problems." ;)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
dont feel bad i have a whole closet of coats

red and black ski jacket
4 diffrent fleece things
wind breaker
london fog trench coat
black leather biker jacket for bar hop'n in the city or events
black leather jacket for the Trixie or Chad nights
red leather blazer jacket thing for the older Trixie or Chad things
black chinese silk brocade dress coat for nights at the NSO
thinner wind breaker for the back pack
brown rain jacket
some more in a box i cant recall becouse i have no where to put them

dont even get me started on all the matching gloves, scarves and hats

nerudite

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:

dont even get me started on all the matching gloves, scarves and hats
That's been one of the best things about moving up here. I've always been a freak for scarves and hats... and now I can actually use them!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Thank G*d im big on matching and saving money-almost all my stuff matches each other and can be interchanged. Im big on having something red on too so its fun

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
PlannerGirl said:
Thank G*d im big on matching and saving money-almost all my stuff matches each other and can be interchanged. Im big on having something red on too so its fun
Yes, its so hard to accessorize a corset otherwise. ;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
According to my girlfriend (otherwise known as "the fashion plate) and a guy at Brooks Brothers, when wearing slacks and a dress shirt your socks should match the color of the shirt, but only when your shirt is blue, grey, brown, etc... When wearing a white or brightly colored shirt your socks should match your pants, not your dress shoes. The rules just go on from here and I'm already getting confused.

I feel gay for even remembering this stuff

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
We are a better dressed group then many of the people I deal with. How about white sport socks with a suit? (Clerk, city manager and a few council members do this all the time)

I try to wear socks that either match my pants or are of a colour that you can't tell they don't match the socks and shoes. (ie with my blue suit I may wear black socks, with my grey suit I may wear grey or black socks..)

As for shoes I am pretty bad, I probably have 20 pairs of shoes.

Brown Loafers
Brown Wing tips
Black Wing Tips
Black Oxfords
3 pairs of "boot around shoes" - only wear these to work on fridays
winter boots
hiking boots
running shoes
4 pairs of cycling shoes
lawn mowing/ painting / yard work shoes.
2 pairs of birkenstocks
flip flops for camping showers

I am also really bad for sweaters and winter hats, as my mother is a knit wear designer and kniter.

The piece of clothing I really want, but would not get to wear much is a camel or mohair overcoat.

Since i'm a short girl, i always wear the same color pants/skirt, socks/pantyhose and shoes. its supposed to make you look taller.

and i HATE changing my purse. i carry a lot of crap around, it is such a production to switch.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I usually match the socks to the pants. I am not fashionable ebough to remember all those other "rules." As for shoes I have the typical male collection:

1 nice dress pair
1 pair for work
1 pair of Sketchers boots
1 pair of Vans
1 pair of athletic shoes

..and like a typical male, I hate dressing up. There is nothing more uncomfortable than a starchy shirt, tie, and suitcoat.

jtfortin you said what I wanted to exactly. I have few clothes, 3 coats, 4 pairs of misc footwear, and a deep fryer.

Wait. that didn't fit.

Anyways I am a college student with no money, so obviously I don't get dressed up or really cook anything I can't fry. Enjoy!

I realized how lucky i was to have married rob when at the Shoe Warehouse, I picked out a pair of 2" heel black mary janes, and rob said, in all seriousness, "Honey, don't you think you'd better get the navy and taupe also?"

True Love.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
careful. he used the word taupe and was shoe shopping. he might be gay. ;) s'kidding Kel!

EDIT: PS - what the heck are Mary Janes. Mike D, don't answer this I already know your response!

donk

Cyburbian
PG asked
does he have a brother (whos not gay)
[EDIT] Oops I forgot about previous conversations [/EDIT]

I'm not gay, and would understand if someone wanted to buy a few pairs of shoes. I might even use the word taupe or mauve to describe a colour.

My biggest problem is that I like expensive shoes and am really picky about how shoes fit. With Harrt Shoes (makers of "mounty boots" and many brand name shoes) having closed up shop there are no more affordable factory seconds.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
My biggest problem is that I like expensive shoes and am really picky about how shoes fit.
Suck up to Prudence. He's bloodline of the allens of Allen-Edmunds shoes.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
now wonders what Donk edited out-PM me bud

Im not a shoe nut-id rather go with out but hey cant do that to work. Now if its shoes to match some of my more...fun outfits then im all about it

PG

Chet - think way back to your high school drama club days, Mary Janes are basically character shoes - plain, leather, square or round toe with an ankle strap. Think little girl easter shoes, with a heel.

And PG - you're actually the second woman to ask today if he has a brother. sadly no he doesn't. the other woman asked when she found out rob does all the vaccuuming and dusting in the house.

JNL

Cyburbian
donk said:
How about white sport socks with a suit? (Clerk, city manager and a few council members do this all the time)
IMHO, white socks are just wrong! The only time they should be worn is with trainers for exercising. And even then, there are good and bad white sports socks.

nerudite

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
the other woman asked when she found out rob does all the vaccuuming and dusting in the house.
Can we at least borrow him then? :)

Actually, I shouldn't talk... I haven't had to wash a dish in week thanks to my b.f. (and he never leaves the toilet seat up... woohoo!)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
And PG- you're actually the second woman to ask today if he has a brother. sadly no he doesn't. the other woman asked when she found out rob does all the vaccuuming and dusting in the house.
Hey! I do all the vacuuming and dusting, and I have use the word taupe. It's Canadien, isn't it? I just vacuumed the living room last month, and this month I dusted off the taupe of my bookshelves. I would do it more frequently if I didn't have to get my own beer from the refrigerator.

donk

Cyburbian
I solved my house keeping problems, i just keep renovating, that way you always have a valid reason for mess and killer dust bunnies.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:

Hey! I do all the vacuuming and dusting, and I have use the word taupe. It's Canadien, isn't it? I just vacuumed the living room last month, and this month I dusted off the taupe of my bookshelves. I would do it more frequently if I didn't have to get my own beer from the refrigerator.
Problem solved. Drink vodka 'up. No refrigeration required. A bottle in each room and you never have to be empty handed doing chores.

EDIT: BTW Christine - What the heck were you thinking asking a bunch of planners about fashion? I mean, why not just ask us about meteorology for chrissakes!