• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Three Things Thursday

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Three posts started this thread:

Ten Things Thursday. Not as heavily posted on as other weekday themed threads as it requires twice the time/effort posting on than, say, Tuesday or Friday..
Ten is too much in this Twitter world of ours. Change it to Three Things Thursday and watch it take off.
OMG.

(Can we start a Three Things Thursday? It's alliterative and I struggle to come up with five. Ten.. Not Happening.)

Jinx/great minds think alike.
So post your three things here going forward.

But only on Thursday.

Michele Zone

BANNED
1. Thrilled to see that there was a thread started just cuz I asked.

2. I don't really ever quite fit anywhere. I joined Cyburbia as a student and returned while trying to get involved locally. I applied for a planner-ish job, but didn't get it.

3. Always a citizen planner, never a professional planner. (A la always a bridesmaid, never a bride.)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. I always thought three things Thursday was a better thread if for no other reason than the alliteration factor
2. I had a kidney stone last week. ouch.
3. I did not have an English muffin this morning. I did the last two mornings, though.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. I have a 9/80 work schedule which means I get every other Friday off. Tomorrow is that Friday :D
2. My tile guy is supposed to (finally) finish my shower tomorrow.
3. Still SO MUCH unpacking to do!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
  1. I hate sign code enforcement.
  2. I hate sign code amendments.
  3. I hate sign code variances.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
1. There's no such thing as a good sign ordinance.
2. I got an email from a citizen asking the Planning Dept. to enforce the speed limit on their road.
3. Interesting budget season for the town next door which makes ours look calm.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
1. There's no such thing as a good sign ordinance.
So...our law director thinks codes/regulations can be perfected and never have to be amended...ever.

That's fun to get to work with. :D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. I did not go to Zingerman's Deli yesterday
2. I did get some Metzger's German Restaurant take out, though
3. It's supposed to rain hard today.

kjel

Super Moderator
1. I should finish two ERRs today, but I will probably only finish one.
2. I am RJing tomorrow....to go to RJ land.
3. I'm hungry, the yogurt wasn't enough this morning.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) It is going to be over 90 and humid this weekend and we will be at an outdoor block party all day Saturday.
2) I ordered a bunch of plants that I am going to pot for summer storage/growing and then plant this fall. I don't want to plant them now because of pending deck construction delivery and I want to give them a heck of a head start.
3) Wife is on call all weekend and does not want to make any mother's day plans because of it.

kms

Cyburbian
1. Our office has a "hip" address, but the hip lunch places and business district are too far to walk for lunch.
2. A wild turkey flew against my car, breaking my mirror and her neck. I'm thankful she didn't go through the windshield, and I'm thankful she fell to the side of the road so I didn't have to remove any parts of her from my car.
3. I'm off tomorrow, and sorely in need of a day off.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. We're getting about $51,000 more in CDBG this year than anticipated. That's a lot for us and equates to approximately 14% more.
2. I got randomly drug tested this week for the first time since I've been here. I'm confident in a passing grade :D
3. I worry about competition or lack thereof but man, Amazon is pretty freaking awesome at times.

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
2. I am RJing tomorrow....to go to RJ land.
You must have a new phone number. I texted you yesterday: "Stop by and say hello. Pool is warm enough for swimming, Budweiser is cold, and a bottle of wine is anxious to be opened."

kjel

Super Moderator
1. HUD annual action plans suck.
2. Boss left at 2pm and won't be back til Tuesday.
3. We get to leave at 3pm tomorrow.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. This has been a week of Mondays
2. We are staying local for the long weekend but plans include a birthday party, a graduation, and a family gathering
3. Why can't Finance play nice?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Off tomorrow and going to play on the Bay for the long weekend.
2. I'd like to buy a new (or at least new to me) vehicle but I think I'm going to try and wait about 18 months.
3. Wish I didn't have a night meeting this evening so I could get a head start on my 4-day weekend.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. Starting to get out on the bicycle a bit more. Got 30 miles in last night.
2. My neighborhood bar has a food trailer in front; they serve "normal stuff" like burgers, but they also have Croatian food, of which I'm becoming a fan.
3. It figures that work gets complicated just before a long weekend. :-c

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. I'm finally getting the Proposal from Hell of my desk; it will be submitted today.
2. I have tomorrow off, so today is my Friday.
3. This is my wife's last week at her old school. And let me tell you, she is through with those people. She can't wait to start at the new place next year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. The past five business days have been the busiest I can recall here.
2. I need to order more business cards. I'm rapidly running out
3. I've cut down to three cups of coffee a day. I think I feel better for it.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Michael Jackson's Thriller is my earworm at the moment
2. The Steve Martin / Martin Short Netflix special is pretty funny
3. I want to grill tonight, but the weather forecast says that might be challenging

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. Coffee wakes me up.
2. Coffee has essentially no calories.
3. Coffee is cheap (when you brew it yourself).

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. I've never found Martin Short even remotely funny.
2. I've never been a coffee drinker even though both of my parents were sunup to sundown coffee drinkers.
3. My transmission crapped out on the way to work and I had to have my vehicle towed to a repair shop

(I probably need to laugh more and drink coffee)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. I've never found Martin Short even remotely funny.
2. I've never been a coffee drinker even though both of my parents were sunup to sundown coffee drinkers.
3. My transmission crapped out on the way to work and I had to have my vehicle towed to a repair shop

(I probably need to laugh more and drink coffee)
1. Ditto.
2. I always liked your parents, ever since I read your post.
3. I hate it when that happens. Last time it happened to me I ended up selling the car to the transmission shop and buying a different one. It ended up being sold to Ugly Duckling Rent-A-Car.

DVD

Cyburbian
1. septic problem driving everyone crazy - just do what I told you
2. didn't get the Colorado gig, but I interviewed well so I've got that going for me
3. I should find some way to sing about my problems to make them seem better.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I really like the onion rings at Arby's, although I don't eat there often.
2. Most of my day was spent driving to and from a meeting.
3. Even though this is a short week, Friday seems to be off in the distance.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I bought a cordless impact driver today. I made sure to get the one with two batteries. There are some other tools that use the same battery so I can expand if needed.
2) I found out that my building permit for my deck should be ready to be picked up tomorrow. The question is should I build it this weekend or wait two weeks? (If I can get the lumber delivered tomorrow or Saturday morning that is)
3) I have been starving all day long. I ate a good lunch too. It is taco night so I am going to swing by the store to get peppers, beef, and all the other good stuff to go with it.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) I look for a Warriors sweep now
2.) I am wrestling with who my World Cup team will be. Germany or England are too easy of choices, but they are the ancestral homelands. Iceland may be the right choice.
3.) I get really sick of adjudicating neighbor property disputes.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. I certainly take delight in the prospect of having the opportunity to get involved with some neighbor disputes
2. Tonight is a grilling night. No doubt about it.
3. It's a heck of a lot easier to come up with three things than 10.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. A week after the great transmission failure of 2018 I have purchased a new (to me) vehicle.
2. I hate doing evaluations with a passion. I provide feedback consistently so this is just such a waste of time to me.
3. Hired another new planner this week. We have lots of Planner II's. We've lost 4 of them in 27 months.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
-My new work is both gratifying and terrifying at the same time. Although I am cutting my teeth forreal and have great colleagues who shield me from the terrifying aspects (the politics) so I cant complain.

-Older Latinx folks in the Bronx keep giving me love for my Volvo 244, I've met various people who come up to me and tell me they had one either back in the day or in their respective home countries. I think that's pretty rad and love meeting these people!

-I miss Montreal. but thats coming closer to reality so Im not worried. Gotta put in some more time here and rebuild my nest egg, I am being an adult. I dont enjoy it 100% of the time, but thats life.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. The bathroom tile job is finally done and the shower works fine.
2. My wife hired a guy that's stripping the wallpaper in several rooms.
3. Which means there's a bunch of painting in my future.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Being an adult is never fun 100% of the time
2. I need to quit reading the news
3. In the next 15 working (weekday) days, I have 7 night meetings

DVD

Cyburbian
1. I've had a total of 4 night meetings this year. :D
2. Kid was dropped off so I could take her to cheer leading practice. Now everyone shows up needing stuff.
3. Other kids birthday today. She got roller skates. Guess what I get to hear all day in the house?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. Mrs. Maister reminded me the other day that grilled food is a known carcinogen. Cut back? what does that mean?
2. Milk Duds are a pretty mediocre option where candy choices are concerned. Kinda live up to their name as it were.
3. What to fix for dinner tonight if not something grilled?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. The power company is "trimming" the trees along the back fence of our yard. We told them go ahead and take the hackberry tree all the way down if they wanted; our arborist said it wasn't long for this world anyway.
2. My neighborhood bar is run by Croatians and has a food trailer out front. I'm becoming addicted to ćevapi.
3. Today is my Friday.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) My day today is toast.
2) Wife asked what I wanted to do for Father's Day. I think we might go to the beach early on Saturday morning, might mow the lawn... otherwise I have zero idea.
3) Well, I am doing at least 1 Tough Mudder in 2019. Signed up for it last night and we might also do one in WI in 2019.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
  • Boards and Commission this evening
  • It's amazing how my otherwise outdoors-averse son will spend all day outdoors at the miniature railroad camp (not really...as this is an activity he has really wants to do).
  • [edit]I got a 1961-d dime in my change this morning at the convenience store. Yay![/edit]

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Mrs. P said she was buying me (us) a grill for Father's Day. Our present one is 20 years old and has some issues. I can not get parts to fix it. She has laid out 3 choices for purchase.
2. My brother's family is a soap opera and has been for many years. Looks like a season-ending cliff hanger is underway.
3. Get to mow the clover this evening. I couldn't get to it last weekend, but I won't have to do it this weekend.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) White Sox are showing a pulse lately. 2 out of 3 from 2 first place teams.
2.) I don't like Golf Cart/UTV Ordinances
3.) I cut 4 minutes off my mile swim time yesterday.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. My folks have one of my nephews visiting
2. My dad is not a kid person
3. The texts/emails have been for interesting and funny

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. this has been a tolerable week at work after returning from a week's vacation
2. Yeah, I still have no notion what's going on in the FIFA World Cup action
3. I drank no beer yesterday

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. I became a great uncle yesterday; my wife's niece had her first child yesterday, a boy.
2. Great uncles are old.
3. Therefore, I am old.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. Being an uncle isn't such a bad gig
2. It's flooring to speculate how humans first thought to make coffee....not the first time, but the second time - you know, after they'd already tasted it
3. I agree with Jim Gaffigan, seafood is yucky.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. The wife is at a training class in Austin this week and next which makes me a bachelor for two weeks.
2. She left me enough honey-do's that being a bachelor for two weeks isn't that glamorous.
3. We've had rain (brief showers) this week, a rarity for this time of year.