• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • On Thursday night (2/21), I did something I probably shouldn't have with the server. I lost about 90 posts and three new users in the process. If you registered on Thursday, please re-register. If you posted on Thursday, maybe post twice as much on Friday? Again, I apologize. :(

Three Things Thursday

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Still looking for a job, and wishing municipalities would get back to applicants in a timely manner

2) Filling the mornings by watching Le Tour.

3) Signed the Seller's portion of the closing documents for our house yesterday. Hopefully the Buyers sign and fund today!

Michele Zone

BANNED
1. Day three of posting selfies on some blog. Days one and two were hideous troll faces, oh god. But, happily, I don't utterly hate today's pics.
2. Having a Good Hair Day. That helps on the pic front.
3. I shall finish this client work and let them know they can have it just as soon as I get paid. I refuse to chase my pay. You pay me up front or you don't get the work. (I have read that freelancers chase their pay about 40 percent of the time.)

The Terminator

Cyburbian
1. im running on 5 hours of sleep/2 energy drinks.....eek! :/
2. My crush is talking to me on ig :)
3. I am imagining Michelle Zone living in Portland as a bohemian and driving a 1989 Volvo 245 wagon.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Today was FUBAR-AF and it is not over and not likely to get any better.

2) See 1

3) See 1

Michele Zone

BANNED
1. Hit my goal for the week yesterday afternoon. Happy dance.

2. Looking forward to September.

3. I'm having a good week, in spite of plumbing drama in the building and yadda. <:D:awesome::balloon::brofist::trophy:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. I've concluded I prefer angel hair pasta to plain ol' spaghetti noodles
2. Only two cans of Yuengling left.
3. online applications for planning/zoning stuff is a PIA. How are we supposed to be 'gatekeepers' when any Tom Dick or Harry can file a variance application online and never consult any staff about whether it's necessary or even adviseable?

Gedunker

Moderating
1. I woke up with work on my mind at 4:40 AM. There was no going back to sleep after that. I hate when that happens.
B. I have two things to share today with the boss man that he likely won't enjoy. I hate when that happens.
III. Of course, the fat cat puked up her whole "gravy lovers" breakfast on my bedroom carpet before work this morning. I especially hate when that happens.:m:

DVD

Cyburbian
1. What part of "not an operating system" do you not understand.
2. I believe all the crazies are coming in just because I'm leaving.
3. Anyone want to buy a house? It's the last big thing left before the move.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. Still have the fans and dehumidifiers drying out the house after the water main break on Saturday.
2. No hurricane, but it looks like a wet weekend coming.
3. Oh no, you're one of THEM!

Michele Zone

BANNED
1. I actually had a wonderfully productive day yesterday, including like paid work and everything.
2. I used to be able to count to ten in Russian. (I probably still can.)
3. Sadly, unlike my father, I was never good at monetizing such trivia by using it to place bets as a party trick. Dad went to better parties than me. (Not hard, that.)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. Some of Weird Al Yankovic's parodies are better than the originals
2. Who has ever heard of a kid WANTING to get braces?
3. I'm going to try to do something very difficult and avoid reading, watching or listening to the news for the next four days

Michele Zone

BANNED
1. Don't be ridiculous, Maister. MOST of Weird Al Yankovic's parodies are better than the originals
2. I so fucking hate auto-corrupt, while being unwilling to turn it off cuz REASONS
3. I have an invite to a thing. It's almost like I have a life.

kms

Cyburbian
1. It’s virtual Friday for me; Monday’s a holiday and I’ve been working out of the office the past two days.
2. Early fall feels like summer and that’s ok with me.
3. I’m working hard at not buying lunch from restaurants during the week.

Planit

Cyburbian
Since I arrived at work this morning &amp; it's 10:30

1. The utility trailer for the work crew fixing our water tank was stolen last night - ACM & I had to be on site with police.
2. Engineer on sewer replacement on big downtown project screwed up plans - PWD & I had a heart-to-heart with them.
3. Electric superintendent dropped ball on lighting recommendations for new amphitheatre & is gone for 2 weeks - PWD & I had exchange of words

This was all unplanned or scheduled.
Good morning!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. I'm having a very hard time focusing this entire week
2. Got the annual employee health screening/evaluation tomorrow; not looking forward to that
3. Good news is that today is payday

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Drove to work with the windows down for the first time since April.
2. So that's what fresh air smells like.
3. Pay day for me as well

kjel

Super Moderator
1. I think the office Keurig is on it's way out, I almost didn't have a cup of coffee this morning.
2. No coffee is not a good look for me.
3. I think it's going to rain the next couple of days.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. After a week without air conditioning, my home warranty finally approved the repair and the contractor is putting in the new compressor.
2. I have a business trip to DC (Crystal City) next week. I'm not into travel lately.
3. The AC seems to be working nicely, but only when they bypass the pressure switches.

Michele Zone

BANNED
1. People on the interwebs are bitching about climate change and bellyaching about how we are all doom-ed.
2. I can't be arsed to be all that sympathetic. Among other things, I have lived without a car for more than a decade. :h:
3. But, no, it is not socially acceptable to say "The future is now" and "Here is what YOU, yes YOU, can do starting today." They would rather wring their hands and act like their personal choices are too insignificant to matter. :r:

kms

Cyburbian
1. I’m in a cozy waiting room and someone put on a pot of coffee. The aroma of coffee and the odor of skunk smell very much alike to me.

2. I sat in a Panera writing reports yesterday and a grizzled man asked if I was Lori. Men have approached me in Panera stores before and asked me if was “woman’s name”. Had I been Lori, I’d have lied.

3. My mom was one of the first moms I knew who wore jeans around the house. Up until then, she wore dusters around the house.

Michele Zone

BANNED
1. Stuff is happening in my life.

2. I so want to talk about Stuff.

3. Sadly, my life is too bizarre to ever know how to talk about Stuff without it going weird places. So that's basically a no go, :-x

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Last night was a late night
2) Tonight is going to be late night, but not as late as last night.
3) Broke down a pallet to do a project only to discover that part of it is super nice black walnut. (Happy Dance!)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. Mrs. Maister will be out of town this weekend
2. For some reason Junior seems ecstatic about this. I don't know what he thinks is going to happen
3. I need to get the leaves raked up in the back yard.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Rather be covered in sawdust than at my desk right now.
2) Had a call from an citizen who was livid that the Town has not demanded that all the election signs be removed. I had to explain that State Law gives people 10 days to get their signs. He called me a liar. :not:
3) Been having disciplinary issues with our oldest lately.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. It's snowed an inch or so every day this week.
2. They're installing windows at work right now.
3. Great timing on that window work

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. There's a half foot of snow on the ground but I understand it will disappear this weekend
2. Guess I should finish up with the outdoor decorations on Saturday before the next wave of winter hits
3. I don't find chestnuts roasting on an open fire to be all that.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Being off the first two days of the week has messed up my days.
2. Basically, it doesn't feel like a Thursday.
3. This weekend is going to be super busy as well.

kms

Cyburbian
1. It looks like the snow here is melted. At least it has downtown.
2. So far today, all the preapplication meetings have the same theme. You can't get out of getting a permit by developing less than 1 acre at a time.
3. I did a favor for a contractor, who then used it against me when he asked for "a yard". He'll be here for a meeting soon, and he'll learn that there are no more favors.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Still have the cold - now it has a nasty, infrequent cough.

2) My dog is loving having 2 people home to pay attention to her - lots of walks!

3) Heading to the movies tonight - seeing something that's been out for a while so won't be crowded.

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. I think my firm and our clients are just about to the point where no one is able to get much done for the rest of the year. Almost. Doesn't seem to be stopping me from having to travel next week, though.

2. Looks like most of the leaves in my yard have fallen. Hopefully that means I can get out next weekend and do one final clean-up, and not have to worry about getting back out on Christmas morning to clear anything off again....

3a. ...since we'll be hosting Christmas dinner for my wife's family (plus my sister, and hopefully one of our neighbors**). In the ~28 years that I've known her, my SIL has never contributed a single item of food to any of their family gatherings. I told Mrs. Bubba that I won't let her in the house this time without something in her hands, even if it's a package of the cheapest store-bought rolls she can find. Bah humbug.

3b. **The widow across the street from of has a tradition of Christmas Eve dinner with her family, followed by Midnight Mass. We've extended an invitation to her for dinner on Christmas Day - hopefully she accepts - she'll bring over some good wine to share. :wine:

Planit

Cyburbian
These are the top 3 things that merchants said during our construction update meeting this morning:

3. A policeman should be at every corner to direct people where to park
2. We park in front of our building because there's no place else to park & I've lost business because our customers can't find a place to park
...and the #1 response...
1. Our floors are getting messed up because our customers won't wipe their feet when they come in our store

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Once again this weekend is shaping up to be very busy... and I am not looking forward to it.
2) I hate the afternoons after I eat a big lunch.
3) I really appreciate the flexibility of my job.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. I'm only going to say this once....it is COLD
2. This caffeine buzz has a decidedly unwholesome feel to it
3. Just paid the water bill

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Office email and internet are back online. Guess I need to work online rather than read manuals . . .

2) One of my planners is leaving. Guess who gets to pick up her stuff . . .

3) My calendar is getting full. Like way in advance.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. The three things are major projects in my group. But due to attrition, my group consists of me, myself and I.
2. All three projects are at the review stage which means I need to devote my full attention to them... each of them... all at the same time.
3. It's worth it though: Part of the attrition in my group was the group lead who was generally ineffective. His replacement will be here as early as Monday.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. Need to do a land use inventory today for a future overlay district
2. the coffee machine doesn't seem to be producing enough heat
3. I'm in the mood for some tea anyway

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. Foggy out there this morning. My office is a block away from The Connector (for those of you who know Atlanta)...can't even see it right now.
2. First day in the office for a new hire on my team - free lunch!
3. Abridged description of the facility that's going to be my next site visit (from one of the engineers involved with the project): mosquitoes, spiders, iguanas, access point overgrown with mangrove trees...oh, and gators.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) I am tired of lower back pain
2) This Winter needs to end
3) I don't like supervising people

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1. My workload is easing up, and not a minute too soon. I was really burning out. Now I feel like I'm getting things done and doing them right for a change.
2. It's my Friday :)
3. I would like to use my off-Friday tomorrow to see if I can go through some of the packing boxes that are still littering the family room and garage.

kms

Cyburbian
1. Someone here looked at a set of plans in front of a camp fire, and we smell smoke any time he looks through the plans.

2. I was on the phone with a complainant. His wife was in the background telling him what to say, then she leaned in toward the phone and they both talked, and for a few minutes I listened as they carried on their own discussion.

3. I feel so unproductive today.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) We've interviewed 3 people so far, out of 7 or 8 selected for interviews, and already feel like we've found our 2 peeps.

2) We will still interview the others, but I am not sending any more names to HR to schedule.

3) Weather here has been crazy. Yesterday was rain, high winds, then sunny and 75, today is clear, sunny, and 55. And the temps are going down.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. yesterday was so stressful that today's normally stressful events seem almost stress-free.
2. That's what a little perspective can do for you
3. Watermelon season will be making its annual appearance in grocery stores in about four months