• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Throw out the khakis and blue shirts!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Fashion week ends! This is what the fashionably-dressed planners will be wearing now, right?

Patriotic themes are in.

Cleavage is always fashionable.

Fashion is partly how you wear it. Women will be encouraged to lift their skirts this year.

All of us guys will be looking like this at the next APA conference.

You'll be happy to know that the tie is no longer in fashion. Wear one of these instead.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I've always wondered what fashion shows have to do with reality. I can never actually imagine a real person wearing any of that.

Maybe they do in the "hip" places outside the midwest.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Fashion shows have NOTHING to do with reality.

Think about it ... you see Liz Clairbourne, Ralph Loren and other popular clothing designers strut runway models wearing outrageous clothes down some aisle in New York, but those aren't the same threads that you'll see on the racks at The Bon-Ton or Macy's the following month. What gives?

Here's how I understand it works. Let's say you have a fashion house named ... oh, Jordan of Chicago. Every couple of months, they'll go to New York, hire a bunch of overpaid runway models, and show off some extravagant threads. The industry reps and reporters all swoon and make a big deal about what's being modeled ... and in fact, you might be able to buy some of those fancy threads at the Jordan of Chicago boutique on Michigan Avenue.

However, those shows aren't the ones the real players are at. Instead, there will be a somewhat less glamorous show for the buyers from Carson Pirie Scott, Marshall Field, Dillard's, and so on. The clothes shown there are more reasonable, and meant for mass consumption. However, lots of buzz at the fancy-dancy New York show lends more credibility to the quality and style of the Jordan of Chicago everyday line.

So, who really buys those outrageous threads shown at the big fancy-dancy New York shows? Rich beautiful people. They wear them once to some event, like a music award show or charity ball, and that's it.

Belle

Cyburbian
Yeah, I'll be the one in the stars n stripes Hannibal Lecter mask at the national APA conference!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Belle said:
Yeah, I'll be the one in the stars n stripes Hannibal Lecter mask at the national APA conference!
Since I don't know what you really look like, I just imagined Jane Jacobs in the hannibal lecter catsuit... not a pretty picture!

Belle

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Since I don't know what you really look like, I just imagined Jane Jacobs in the hannibal lecter catsuit... not a pretty picture!
Yeah, me in a catsuit is not a pretty picture! (BTW, Nerudite, thanks for reminding me to change my avatar.) The scary thing is, I will look like JJ in time (I have the same haircut, blond, and wear glasses)--say about 40 years. Maybe I'll wear the baby doll dress instead...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Belle said:
Yeah, me in a catsuit is not a pretty picture! (BTW, Nerudite, thanks for reminding me to change my avatar.) The scary thing is, I will look like JJ in time (I have the same haircut, blond, and wear glasses)--say about 40 years. Maybe I'll wear the baby doll dress instead...
That avatar is much better... now I can imagine Joe Sakic in a catsuit. ;)

tsc

Cyburbian
but...
Fashion designers are to clothes as Planners are to property....

people think we are both out of our minds.....it's our watered down concepts that make it into reality