• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Thursday 3/11/04 noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today’s noontime question popped into my head last night as I watched a movie. We have all heard them, and said them. It is the moments that make actors into stars and movies into blockbusters… so with saying all that I ask

What would you say are some of the greatest lines from movies?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
There wasn't much to do....all the bowling alley's had been wrecked. So's I spent most my time looking for beer. - Bob Mackenzie, Strange Brew.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
The 80s produced some great movie lines. Kevin Smith seems to cram his movies full of great lines too. Some of my faves:

"Hey baby, you must have been something before electricity." - Caddyshack

"Career? I've thought about this quite a bit sir and I would have to say considering what's waiting out there for me, I don't want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I dont want to sell anything bought or processed or buy anything sold or processed or repair anything sold, bought or processed as a career. I dont want to do that. My father's in the army. He wants me to join, but I can't work for that corporation, so what I've been doing lately is kick-boxing, which is a new sport...as far as career longevity, I dont really know. I cant figure it all out tonight, sir, so I'm just gonna hang with your daughter." - Say Anything

"This little proposition doesn't entail me dressing as Little Bo-Peep, does it?" - Fletch

"The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at eleven" - Kentucky Fried Movie

mgk920

Cyburbian
Where do i start...

-"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!" (Charleton Heston in _Soylent Green_)
-"The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!" (Steve Martin in _The Jerk_)
-"Stupid is as stupid does" (Stave Hanks in _Forrest Gump_)
-"Blame Canada!" (_South Park_)
-"FOODFIGHT!" (John Belushi in _National Lampoon's Animal House_)
-"This place has EVERYTHING!" (_The Blues Brothers_)
-"It's 107 miles to Chicago...." "Hit it" (_The Blues Bothers_)
-"Did I just break wind?" also "So, it's a little dry" (_National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation_)

I could go on and on.

Mike

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wow… I had anticipated a higher number of posts by this moment.

Some I like are:

“But it is always like 20 below in Aspen. Tj’ where from Michigan, it will be like living in Miami, come on… it will be great” – Aspen Extreme

“YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” – A few good men

“Anything larger than your hand, you are risking a sprained wrist.” – Weird Science

“Those aren’t pillows!” - Plains Trains and Automobiles

“The price is wrong, B…H” - Happy Gilmore

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

LAUNCELOT: We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.

GALAHAD: I don't think I was.

LAUNCELOT: Yes you were. You were in terrible peril.

GALAHAD: Look, let me go back in there and face the peril.

LAUNCELOT: No, it's too perilous.

(more of a scene than a line, but still good)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
LAUNCELOT: We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.
GALAHAD: I don't think I was.
LAUNCELOT: Yes you were. You were in terrible peril.
GALAHAD: Look, let me go back in there and face the peril.
LAUNCELOT: No, it's too perilous.
(more of a scene than a line, but still good)
This deserves the complete scene:

GALAHAD:
I seek the Grail! I have seen it, here in this castle!
DINGO:
Oh, no. Oh, no! Bad, bad Zoot!
GALAHAD:
Well, what is it?
DINGO:
Oh, wicked, bad, naughty Zoot! She has been setting alight to our beacon, which, I have just remembered, is grail-shaped. It's not the first time we've had this problem.
GALAHAD:
It's not the real Grail?
DINGO:
Oh, wicked, wicked Zoot. Oh, she is a naughty person and she must pay the penalty, and here in Castle Anthrax, we have but one punishment for setting alight the grail-shaped beacon: you must tie her down on a bed and spank her.
GIRLS:
A spanking! A spanking!
DINGO:
You must spank her well, and after you have spanked her, you may deal with her as you like, and then, spank me.
AMAZING:
And spank me.
STUNNER:
And me.
LOVELY:
And me.
DINGO:
Yes. Yes, you must give us all a good spanking!
GIRLS:
A spanking! A spanking! There is going to be a spanking tonight!
DINGO:
And after the spanking, the oral sex.
GIRLS:
The oral sex! The oral sex!
GALAHAD:
Well, I could stay a bit longer.
LAUNCELOT:
Sir Galahad!
GALAHAD:
Oh, hello.
LAUNCELOT:
Quick!
GALAHAD:
What?
LAUNCELOT:
Quick!
GALAHAD:
Why?
LAUNCELOT:
You are in great peril!
DINGO:
No, he isn't.
LAUNCELOT:
Silence, foul temptress!
GALAHAD:
You know, she's got a point.
LAUNCELOT:
Come on! We will cover your escape!
GALAHAD:
Look, I'm fine!
LAUNCELOT:
Come on!
GIRLS:
Sir Galahad!
GALAHAD:
No. Look, I can tackle this lot single-handed!
DINGO:
Yes! Let him tackle us single-handed!
GIRLS:
Yes! Let him tackle us single-handed!
LAUNCELOT:
No, Sir Galahad. Come on!
GALAHAD:
No! Really! Honestly, I can cope. I can handle this lot easily.
DINGO:
Oh, yes. Let him handle us easily.
GIRLS:
Yes. Let him handle us easily.
LAUNCELOT:
No. Quick! Quick!
GALAHAD:
Please! I can defeat them! There's only a hundred-and-fifty of them!
DINGO:
Yes! Yes, he will beat us easily! We haven't a chance.
GIRLS:
We haven't a chance. He will beat us easily...
[boom]
DINGO:
Oh, ****.
LAUNCELOT:
We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.
GALAHAD:
I don't think I was.
LAUNCELOT:
Yes, you were. You were in terrible peril.
GALAHAD:
Look, let me go back in there and face the peril.
LAUNCELOT:
No, it's too perilous.
GALAHAD:
Look, it's my duty as a knight to sample as much peril as I can.
LAUNCELOT:
No, we've got to find the Holy Grail. Come on!
GALAHAD:
Oh, let me have just a little bit of peril?
LAUNCELOT:
No. It's unhealthy.
GALAHAD:
I bet you're gay.
LAUNCELOT:
No, I'm not.

ludes98

Cyburbian
mgk920 said:
-"It's 107 miles to Chicago...." "Hit it" (_The Blues Bothers_)
Ohh come on! Don't ruin a classic line.
The Blues Brothers
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarattes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Back to the Future
Biff: (knocking on McFly's head) Hello? Hello? Anybody home?..... think McFly, think.

Ferris Buller's Day Off
Teacher (Ben Stein): (taking attendance) Bueller?....... Bueller?.......Bueller?

The Godfather
Clemenza: Leave the gun. Take the cannollis.
Don Corleone: I have a sentimental weakness for my children and I spoil them as you can see. They talk when they should listen.

Top Gun
Maverick: Greetings.
Goose: Watch the birdie.. (takes polaroid) geez I crack myself up.

Strange Brew
Bob: This movie was shot in 3-B! 3 Beers and it looks good, eh?
Bob: Geez, you're real nice. If I didn't have puke breath, I'd kiss you.

Princess Bride
Inigo: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I could keep going. I am addicted to cinema.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
From Rushmore:

Max Fischer: So tell me Curly, how do you know Miss Cross?
Dr. Peter Flynn: We went to Harvard together.
Max Fischer: Oh that's great. I wrote a hit play and directed it, so I'm not sweating it either.

Old School:

Frank: I told my wife I wouldn't drink tonight. Besides, I got a big day tomorrow. You guys have a great time.
College Student: A big day? Doing what?
Frank: Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

Best In Show:

Buck Laughlin: Doctor, question that's always bothered me and a lot of people: Mayflower, combined with Philadelphia - a no-brainer, right? Cause this is where the Mayflower landed. Not so. It turns out Columbus actually set foot somewhere down in the West Indies. Little known fact.

Meg: We met at Starbucks. Well, not the same Starbucks, but I was at one Starbucks...
Hamilton: And I was at the Starbucks across the street. I had seen you at law school before. I walked in and there you were...
Meg: Working on my Mac.

Waiting for Guffman:

Corky St. Clair: It's a zen thing, like how many babies fit in a radial tire.

Finally, one of my personal faves...Field of Dreams:

Terrence Mann: Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

*I too am a movie geek

otterpop

Cyburbian
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" says Rooster Cogburn (the Duke) to Lucky Ned Pepper and his gang, in "True Grit."

AND

"It ain't the years. It's the mileage," says Indiana Jones to Marion, explaining his physical state, in "Raiders of the Lost Ark." I actually use this one quite a bit, as I age.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
From Brazil , a movie every planner should see at least once or twice:

Charlie, Department of Works: Bloody typical, they've gone back to metric without telling us.

(borrowed from a handy google).

Dragon

Cyburbian
“YOU’RE MY BOY BLUE!! You’re my boy” --- Old School

“I’m da party pooper” --- Kindergarten Cop

“Wake up b*%^h, you my new best friend!” --- Baseketball

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
My wording of these quotes may not be exactly right, but close.....

"Gentlemen, there is no fighting in the war room." - President of The U.S. after the Russian Ambassador and a U.S. soldier start fighting while in the secret underground bunker, as nukes are about to explode over Russia (by mistake). DR. STRANGELOVE was the movie.

"This calls for double-secret probation." - Prez of college, talking to Delta House "animals" in ANIMAL HOUSE.

"Klatu Berada Nick-Toe." - The only words that will stop the giant robot from destroying the earth, in THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

"Zuzu's petals!!!!!" - George Bailey, discovering he is back to being "somebody", at the end of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

"Ahhhhhhh.......ahhhhhhhhh.........ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!" - Meg Ryan, having some fake fun in a restaurant, in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY.

"Here's looking at you, kid." - Humphrey Bogart to Ingrid Bergman, in CASABLANCA.

"One shot." - Robert DeNiro (early in the movie) and Chris Walken (near the end of the movie) in THE DEER HUNTER.

"It's the Big W, I tell ya!" - Jonathon Winters, discovering the location of the buried treasure, in IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD.

"Oh,God, they have shot the Czar." - Scene from DR. ZHIVAGO.

"Just put your lips together.....and blow." - A very-young Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Bogart in.......I can't remember the movie.....might be THE BIG SLEEP.

"I rule!" - Kevin Spacey, describing his new-found status as happily unemployed while playing with a radio-controlled car, to a pissed-off Annette Benning, in AMERICAN BEAUTY.

"Who are those guys?" and "The fall will kill you." - Both quotes from BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID.

"You talkin' to me?" - Travis Bickle (Rob DeNiro) in TAXI DRIVER.

Bear

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
"Just put your lips together.....and blow." - A very-young Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Bogart in.......I can't remember the movie.....might be THE BIG SLEEP.
It was To Have and Have Not. A classic. Man, Lauren Bacall was a babe.

My faves: any line spoken by Fred Willard in Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, or A Mighty Wind.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
"Roll, roll, roll in the hay" - Young Frankenstein

"Stop calling me Shirley" - Airplane

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" - hey, I'm southern, had to do this one

Budgie

Cyburbian
"Buzzard gotta eat, same as worms" - The Outlaw Josie Wales
"Would you give a man a foot rub" - Pulp Fiction
"No time for the old in-out love, I've just come to read the meter" - Clockwork Orange
"Na, My skull ... I'm so wasted" - Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Check the credits -- See who's in this classic"

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Butch Cassidy: I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

JNL

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
Princess Bride
Inigo: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Definitely a classic!!

How about this one:

Dave: "Open the pod bay doors, HAL"
HAL: "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave"

Budgie

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Same film: What knockers!! Mel Brooks entering the castle
Mel Brooks movies are nothing but one liners. Every single line in "The History of the World" are on-liners. Mel Brooks films don't count.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Budgie said:
Mel Brooks movies are nothing but one liners. Every single line in "The History of the World" are on-liners. Mel Brooks films don't count.
Have you no shame, you commie planner. ;-) Mel is god.

Budgie

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Have you no shame, you commie planner. ;-) Mel is god.
NO !!! I agree completely, that's why I'm exempting Mel. Why compare mere mortals (all other directors and writers), to Mel. Mel doesn't count because he is the God of on-liners. I know when to give respect, when respect is due.

Richmond Jake

Budgie said:
NO !!! I agree completely, that's why I'm exempting Mel. Why compare mere mortals (all other directors and writers), to Mel. Mel doesn't count because he is the God of on-liners. I know when to give respect, when respect is due.
Good. Glad we're on the same page.

Budgie

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Good. Glad we're on the same page.
News Flash !!!! In case you've been sleeping for the last 9 months, Sleeping Beauty, being on the "same page" with me is not something to be proud of.

Richmond Jake

Budgie said:
News Flash !!!! In case you've been sleeping for the last 9 months, Sleeping Beauty, being on the "same page" with me is not something to be proud of.
News Flash!!! I have suspicion that we've got lots in common given what's going on in my life. (Of course I wouldn't be seen dead on a Segway ;-) )

Budgie

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
News Flash!!! I have suspicion that we've got lots in common given what's going on in my life. (Of course I wouldn't be seen dead on a Segway ;-) )
Zoinks !!!!!!!!!!!

mgk920

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
"Roll, roll, roll in the hay" - Young Frankenstein

"Stop calling me Shirley" - Airplane
"We've got clearence, Clarence"
"Roger, Roger"
"You got that vector, Victor?" - _Airplane_

"I'll give him twenty more minutes" - _Airplane_

;-)

Mike

The Irish One

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." Spicoli

"What are you people...on dope!" Mr. Hand

"Shut the fu** up Donnie" Walter

One of my all time favorites:
Arnold Schwarzenegger in some "B" grade flick (Commando?) when Rae Dawn Chong asks "what did you do to him?":

"I let him go."

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
RichmondJake said:
Have you no shame, you commie planner.
Inspired me to find this from Dr. Strangelove

General Jack D. Ripper - ....I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Last edited:

Dragon

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
One of my all time favorites:
Arnold Schwarzenegger in some "B" grade flick (Commando?) when Rae Dawn Chong asks "what did you do to him?":

"I let him go."

I love that movie, I can't believe I didn't quote that one. Or when Arnold off's the guy at the end and steam is coming out. "Let off some steam Bennot!"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
"Party on, Dudes" :cool:
- Abraham Lincoln in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"

Floridays

Cyburbian
From "Animal House:"
Dean Wormer: Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Get busy living, or get busy dying. That's godd***n right.

I'm not crazy, M'Lynn, I've just been a very bad mood for the last 40 years!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Budgie said:
"I see your schwarz is as big as mine" Spaceballs (IMO, the best Brooks movie)

ludes98

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
"I see your schwarz is as big as mine" Spaceballs (IMO, the best Brooks movie)
Oooo that is tough call on best Mel Brooks movie, but SpaceBalls is very good.

from the same scene: Dark Helmet-I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Dark Helmet-So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

and.......Dark Helmet- I bet she gives great helmet.