• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Thursday 3/18/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

What pets would you like to have? (Check all that apply)

• Dog

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • Cat

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Bird

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fish

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • None

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today’s Noontime question is a easy one, knowing that many people out there are recovering from last nights festive activities.

In an introduce your self post, Hindered mentioned their 11 mo. old Labradoodle, Linus. I know that there has been some discussion on this, but I am going to open the gates.

What type of pet would you prefer, and if you have a pets, tell us about them?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Don't have any pets at the moment, but while growing up there was at least one dog and one cat in the family at any given time.

I tend to perfer cats over dogs, because of the detached affection that most cats exhibit. Their not showy and in your face with affection like some dogs can be, and I like that.

I also want a nice medium sized dog that I can run and play with in parks and on the beach. Especially, if I can teach it to catch frisbees. That would be cool.

My wife and I have decided to get the dog first and then eventually get a cat once our last child is 3yrs old or so.

ludes98

Cyburbian
We currently own two minature pinschers. Micro is our 6 year old male and Lacy is our 5 month old female. I don't have pics at work.

I used to own fish and would like to do it again soon. I dream of owning a saltwater fish tank. I would try a reef tank, but they are much harder.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
We have two very spoiled yet very obedient dogs. They're both rescue dogs, and they're very affectionate. One of them is so smart, he actually won't go greet new people until we tell him it's ok, and is completely trustworthy off-leash. The other...she's just cute. They're our first two dogs, but definitely not our last.

jestes

Cyburbian
With two young sons my house is like a zoo. Officially we have two cats, a dog, a hamster, and a hermit crab. Unofficially, any variety of animals have made their way in and out of my house. I have come home to find box turtles in the living room, a chipmunk in a 5 gallon bucket in my dining room, various small reptiles in various places.

It is a rare treat to get home at the end of the day and not find a strange animal either roaming in my yard or in my house.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I prefer cats over dogs for the same reasons Mendelman cited. Growing up we always had cats. We also had dogs but I always preferred cats. They are cleaner and less smelly than dogs, coolly detached, selectively affectionate, and mildly sinister.

We have a black and white long-haired cat named Sitka. She's alright, though not overly fond of sharing the house with a rambunctious two-and-a-half year old. At some point I think we will get a dog because the better half and our son want one. This would be a development I don't favor since I imagine the walking and doggie doo patrol will likely fall into my purview.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
I've had a Bernese Mountain Dog since I was 5 years old. We've had two, and we just recently had to put the second one, Luke, (the Walter Mathau of dogs) to sleep because he had bladder and lung cancer. They're awesome dogs though, and if I stay local for school I'm going to think about adopting a greyhound or pup from the shelter...if I win the lottery or run into some dough, I'll get a Bernese. I'm allergic to cats and am not a fan of their claws. I had bird once, but really regretted that decision after two months...the thing lived for five years...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Lord, help me -- four cats!

Boris, an 11-yr old orange tabby with three teeth and a pellet in his belly from a former neighbor that didn't care for felines, very affectionate but tends to drool when he purrs;
Norman, a 10-yr old orange tabby Mrs. Gedunker rescued from the POTW after someone tried to toss him in one of the primary settling tanks, sleeps between my legs every night;
Lux, a 10-yr old orange tabby female (anybody notice a trend that "came with the house". Neutered and de-clawed, she was abandoned and living in our garage. She has the worst personality toward strangers but sleeps at the foot of my daughter's bed and is really a sweet -- if temperamental --cat; and
Fitz, a grey and white medium hair Mrs. G rescued. When she brought him in the house Labor Day 2002 I thought he was brown because he was covered in fleas. The vet wasn't even going to try to save him but Mrs. G insisted, and voila, we have four cats. He's affectionate to a fault.

Finally, Woody the groundhog is living -- unwanted and uninvited -- under my garage. The only thing holding up my garage is the force of habit and he has tunneled underneath it and bored through the sill plates/siding in several locations. Ol' Woody has a surprise coming to him very soon o:)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I've never understood that dogs vs. cats thing. Frankly, I like them both. I love all animals (although right now, the squirrels are driving me bananas, getting into the so-called "squirrel-proof" bird feeders).

I think I've posted a photo of one of my cats on here before. I have 2 cats and a dog. Each of my pets has a distinctive personality. The male cat thinks he runs the household and deserves all the same privileges as people. If we're having wine and cheese in the kitchen while dinner is cooking, the cat will beg for cheese. He has a habit of jumping into my husband's lap when we're eating, trying to get a taste of whatever we're having. He usually sleeps between us on the bed at night - sometimes under the covers.

The other cat is the sweetest little thing. Overweight, but playful. She loves chasing the laser pointer light across the floor, and watching the squirrels and chipmunks in the yard (from inside).

The dog is now in his teens, but still hyperactive. At one time, we were told by a vet that he'd be a good candidate for Prozac. He is awfully cute, though (beagle mix).

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Gedunker:

I like your cats' names. The names are very 'cat'.

I intend to name my first cat Oscar. I like the name and have to use it for the cat, because mendelwoman (and most normal people) won't let me name our first son Oscar. :-\ They think it's weird. Whatever! ;-)

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
mendelman said:
Gedunker:

I like your cats' names. The names are very 'cat'.QUOTE]

Thank you. "Boris" always gets the "Morris" thing, but oh well.

Last edited:

Floridays

Cyburbian
Already have a cat (19 year old Siamese named Foster) that has been my boy child for a long time...he is very sweet and talks a lot and I always know exactly what he wants...Cats are much easier in the sense that 1. they are instantly potty trained (just show em the box) and much more independent.
However, I am crazy about my boyfriend's dog, Bailey, and would love to have one just like her. But I want to wait til I have a house (versus a condo) with a yard.
And have always wanted an aquarium. But cat + aquarium = trouble! :-0

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cat named Snarf and another person's cat in the house named Amigo. I want to get back into the aquarium gig as well.

hindered

I'd like to get Linus a little brother. Something smaller than the 83 lbs he turned out to be. We really didn't know how big he'd get since he's mixed, but he just kept growing! Right now I'm thinking something in a terrier less than 50 lbs. Any suggestions on any particular 'good age' for introducing another dog into the family? Does it help to wait until some of the problem puppy behaviors are totally under control or does it not matter? Would the older like to revert like a 2-year-old child wanting a pacifier when a new baby joins the family?

Dragon

Cyburbian
I am not allowed pets, so sayith the land lord at my apt. complex |-) .

My dog, which still resides with the family, enjoys chasing squirrels. She occasionally catches them (sort of) as you can occasionally find tails in the yard 8-! . I happen to think they deserve it, because they run around teasing her.

I like both dogs and cats, and hope to have one when I get out of my evil lease.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
We have one dog that's half chow and half black lab. My sons have salt and fresh water aquariums.

Queen B

Cyburbian
One dog, Gizmo
One cat, #%#^ Fritz

I got this darn dog almost 7 years ago now. I had never been an inside dog person. Dogs are labor intense. You always have to figure out what to do with them and for them... Luckily we have found a lady that likes him and she trims him for us and keeps him if we leave town.

I like cats cause you can leave them by themselves and they do just fine!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We are the Doolittles at our house. 5 dogs and 3 cats.

Freckles is a 9 year old buff colored cocker spaniel and does no wrong.
CB (short for Cottonball) is a 4 year old Eskimo dog/Yellow Lab mix
Shiloh is a 5 year old American Eskimo dog
Abbey is a black/white cocker who is 11 and we got her in October from a local rescue shelter.
Dixie is a boxer,pit bull, mastiff mix. She is very sweet but she was an abused dog so she likes to hang out by herself alot in our library where we leave the Animal Planet on for her to watch.

Pumpkin was found on Halloween in 1997 and is orange so his name was easy. He is now 22 pounds. The other cats aren't fat so I don't know how he does it.
Foster is a tabby color 4 year old. My wife named him that because he showed up on our doorstep and she said "oh look, he wants a foster family".
Inky is obviously a black cat. He and Foster and best buddies. We actually found him in the parking lot of the local Chinese restaurant. I wanted to name him General Tso but my wife said no and let our 3 year old neice name him, hence the "original" name.

It's hectic at times but we love the whole crew. They all get along great.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
hindered said:
Any suggestions on any particular 'good age' for introducing another dog into the family? Does it help to wait until some of the problem puppy behaviors are totally under control or does it not matter? Would the older like to revert like a 2-year-old child wanting a pacifier when a new baby joins the family?
We introduced Dog #2 to Dog #1 when #2 was 1/1/2 years old and #1 was 2 1/2 years old (they're exactly a year apart). # 1, having been Alpha for about two years at that point, was dubious to say the least, and # 2, having been pulled out of a benignly neglectful home, hung back for a while. # 2 is still very puppy-like, we think because she didn't really get to be a puppy before, and over the last six months the two of them have bonded and are now inseperable, generally. They never really fought much, just wrestled around a lot, and as soon as # 1 established himself as Alpha (with # 2 probably coming in at the Delta position.....), they were both happier. # 1 was still kind of puppy-like, but he's gotten much more solemn and responsible now--when we play with them, he looks out for her and will push himself between her and us and grumble if he thinks we're getting too rough. She,of course, just bounces back for more.
So, short answer, it's probably more the temperment than the age. # 1 is a remarkably mellow dog. We probably could have brought home an Asian elephant, and he would have adapted to that.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I enjoy the company of the best pups around- our Weimaraner extraordinaire and his crime fighter Boxer sidekick (both HUGE hockey fans).

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mrs. Bear & Bear have a few animals......

MONICA is our five-year-old Golden Retriever. She weighs-in at over 100# and actually looks like a Bear. Goldens are great animals. MONICA is scared of her own shadow. Named, much to Mrs. Bear's dismay, after a certain woman of same name who happened to spend some time in the "Oval" office.

MURRAY is our nine-year-old Alaskan Huskie. MURRAY is a "she", named after the dog from a TV series, "Mad About You".

ALLIE is our alley-cat, constantly in and out of the house. A true cat....always killing birds and baby rabbits and moles, etc. (That's what cats do.)

SOCKS (aka BUBBA) is our black and white tubby cat. He is a bit overweight and usually sits up like a person, back against a wall or door, legs spread....like some sort of mini Sumo-wrestler. He goes out....usually for about five (5) minutes.....and immediately wants back in.

O.J. (aka TAZZ) is our furry monster cat. He was named for a certain famous sports person who was on trial for murder and got off scott-free. Hmmmmmm.....

O.J. doesn't usually go outside. He was a bit heavy. In mid-January, with the temperature in NW Ohio around 10-degrees, he went out. We looked for him for two (2) weeks. We thought somebody in the area let him in, to be "their new cat".

Couple weeks ago, with the weather breaking, Mrs. Bear and her son were outside cleaning the dog yard. They heard this faint "meow" from the garage next door.
O.J., now very-very skinny, was in that garage for nearly six (6) weeks, probably living on the occasional mouse. He's now back in our house, eating well, and following me everywhere.

WHITE THING is our one-year-old persian kitty. He continually runs through the house at full speed....chasing some imaginary ghost. He sleeps on Mrs. Bear's head.

Question: Does a teenage stepson count as an animal?

Bear At The Animal House

BKM

Cyburbian
I have three dogs:

Max-an 11-year old, 55 pound rottie-shepherd mix. A real personality. People who think dogs are just "dumb animals" haven't spent time with a dog like Max.

Scobie: 55 pound collie mix-a little more aloof in the house, but a real sweetheart and ball chaser. Huge grin and verys tubborn. Absolutely beautiful reddish long-haried dog raised from six weeks old by me.

Tasha-my accident prone rescued basenji (slashed a month ago-Saturday she basically speared hersel on some brush or something :(). Basenjis are the world's most elegant dogs, imo. Very regal and aloof, and they clean themselves like cats. She replaces any desire to get a cat, and you can do things with her like take her on walks. She is a huge girl for a basenji (27 pounds). Pretty sweet and affectionate for a basenji (never seen another one go up to people like she does)-although she doesn't like little children-or my sister's dogs at all.

My pack is a LOT of work, but they are worth it.

boiker

Cyburbian
I have a cat named "nemo" that I'm convinced is really a dog trapped in a cats body. He comes when you call his name, will play fetch and other games, and eats like a dog.

I voted "none". I could explain, but, hey, I am not that interested. Chalk it up to "God, what a total bore with no life whatsoever -- she doesn't drink, do drugs, own pets, watch TV... Man. What in hell does she spend her time on???" :-D :p

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
We have four dogs, 2 cats and 1 scorpion

Three of the dogs are mine and are all border collies, Panda, Elley and Dozer. Mrs Monkeys dog is a japanese spitz and it is called Bundy.

The cats belong to the family and tend to award allegiance in some manner known only to them. Columbia is a seal point balinease and Charlie is a berman.

The scorpion belongs to my son who has shown remarkable tenacity in the care of the beast making sure it eats all manner of strange bugs. It has no name even though its been with us two years and I suppose is a very well fed member of the family.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
DA Monkey said:
We have ....1 scorpion
The scorpion belongs to my son who has shown remarkable tenacity in the care of the beast making sure it eats all manner of strange bugs. It has no name even though its been with us two years and I suppose is a very well fed member of the family.
[OT]Oh, man. My suite-mate in college had a tarantula. Yeah, yeah, he always said it wouldn't hurt anyone. Well, you couldn't convince me. Anyway, it got loose somehow and he could not find it. I looked under the pillows, in my shoes, opened my desk drawers, EVERYTHING thinking that sucker was just sitting there waiting to attack me 8-! The kid flunked out after the first semester and, moving furniture in his room discovered the missing arachnid. I slept soundly that night for the first time in months :-} [/OT]

H

Cyburbian
pets are nice and all, and I love other people's pets (ie my family pets back home), but I go out of town on little "mini-vacations" with my wife almost every weekend. And sometimes we go on long extended vacations. Puppy's are cute, but not a good idea at this time. :-S

Plus they eat you cloths and use the restroom on your floor. I dont need this.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
None now,
Have been told several times by women at work that I need a cat.

did grow with a Black Lab and a cat.
Growing up around the ocean and bay,
after that lab got out of the saltwater,
talk about washing and rinsing to get the salt off.

biscuit

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
We have one dog that's half chow and half black lab.
We had one of these when I was growing up and he was hands down the best dog ever. He was playful and kind like a Lab but also had the very protective attitude of a Chow and would mess-up anything that seemed threatening to either me or my sister, including the neighbor's evil Dobermans.

Man, I miss that dog.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Bailey and Guinness, the official mascots of Cyburbia.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I have two kitty cats.

I would consider a doggie some day but at the present time I don't want the responsibiltiy of having to be home to let it out to go poop and pee or arrangeing to have someone do it for me when I leave for the weekends.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We have a cat (psycho-kitty, qu'est que c'est?). She is very cute, but she is starting to drive me and my wife nuts. Scratching at my wife's new wallpaper at 5 a.m. is not the way to get on her good side. Or mine.

I'd love to get a west highland terrier (named Whiskey, of course). But I don't think it would be fair to the feline at this point (she's 4 1/2, and doesn't get along with other animals).

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
biscuit said:
We had one of these when I was growing up and he was hands down the best dog ever. He was playful and kind like a Lab but also had the very protective attitude of a Chow and would mess-up anything that seemed threatening to either me or my sister, including the neighbor's evil Dobermans.

Man, I miss that dog.
I couldn't describe Willie any better. Have you met our dog?

biscuit

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I couldn't describe Willie any better. Have you met our dog?
Can't say that we've been formally introduced. But I'm sure we'd get along just fine. I would get another one of these in a heartbeat - If I had the space, especially if I had children. What a great mix of dog.

Does Willie have a purple tongue?