• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Tiger Stadium

planasaurus

Cyburbian
I saw a post on Planetizen last week that was linked to an article about the City of Detroit deciding to demolish Tiger Stadium. I think this is a crying shame. Couldn't Detroit be creative enough to come up with a better sollution? Why didn't they respond to the responces to the RFP that was sent out? I am confused and dissappointed about their decision to demolish what is one of their most important buildings (especially since demolishing the Hudsons building).

If the residential ideal won't work (the RFP was for residential and commercial conversion), why not try a professional soccer stadium? How about a sports arena for area high schools? What about a flea market or festival venue? What about some kind of ethnic-themed outdoor shopping area? There are so many ideas, I am confused about why Detroit decided to pick the absolutely worst idea avaliable!

Does anybody know of a group working to save Tiger Stadium?

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Yes, it sucks that Tiger Stadium might be demolished. It would be great to save it. But have you ever been down in the area of Detroit? There ain't much goin' on! In fact, there ain't much at all going on in Detroit. That city is such a tricky place. Kudos to anyone who can make any development and/or redevelopment projects happen in that city.

metroplanner

It is a confusing issue. On the one hand, sure tear it down for some new quality development. On the other hand, use the 40 acres directly to the west that are vacant and were once parking. Once it is gone, it is gone. The thing of it is, though, that Tigger Stadium is a HUGE stadium, I mean HUGE. It would be sooo unbeliveably expen$sive to retrofit that none of the proposals were really feasible. And, trying to get a big $ developer into Detroit to take it on, geesh, no thanks, that is an uphill battle. They are completely redoing Michigan ave down there, though, so that will help, and may get some ideas rolling. Not too immediate, though, the Detroit demo list is years behind schedule. I would actually be more bummed if the Michigan Central Train Station's number came up first, I know it is now on the list. Oh, yeah, the Cadillac Hotel (at one point, the largest hotel on Earth, yep, no kidding..) is coming down as well.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
Beaner - there are many Detroit successes - Brewery Park, the new lofts being built just north of the demolished Husdons building, Compuware, Campus Martius, the new homes at St. Annes Gate, the senior housing at St. Annes gate, the soon to be I-94 industrial park, the bed and breakfast near WSU, the list goes on and on... I don't think that it is cerian that the Cadillac Hotel is comming down, perhaps it will be rehabbed like many other buildings downtown (I am trying to have a positive attitude)! There is so much going on in the Tiger Stadium area, in fact, I consider it one of the fastest redeveloping areas of Detroit, as I am certian many developers do.

I agree, it would be a shame to see the Michigan Central Train Station go down, and you can blame that one on the bridge company who owns it and is responsible for its current state of disrepair.

Last edited: