• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! đź‘‹ Time to move on?

Howdy.

I am a city planner in a mid-sized city (22,000) and interested in trying to figure out what that next job will be. I have been at my current position for 3 years and starting to think it's time to move on.

I like what i do and the folks I work with, but think that in perhaps another year I will have learned almost all that there is to learn here.

Anyway, if anyone else new to Cyburbia or anyone scanning this particular part of the website has any sage advice, feel free to respond.

Patrick Boylan
a.k.a. Patrick the Planner

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
First of all...welcome! :b:

I spent 3 years in my first planning job, and felt that by that time I had grown out of an entry level position and was ready for a step up. I think it depends on how you see yourself in the position.....have you outgrown the responsibilities? Are you challenged by the job? Are you at a point where you don't see room for further salary advancement?

These are the questions I asked myself then, and will ask myself again when the time is right for the next move.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. If you're going to pick Cyburbia's Throbbing Brain™, be sure to stick around and join in the other posts.

It isn't unusual for planners at any stage of their career to feel it is time to move on. I was in my first planning job two and a half years before feeling I had accomplished everything I was going to there. The same is true here after seven years (well two new surprising projects have come up that may change that.) Take advantage of the job you are in for now. Let your employer know that you would like to try your hand at some new things and see if they willl accommodate you. Finally, network and keep an eye on job openings that may sound appealing.

martini

Cyburbian
Hello from another Minnesotan, good to see more of us here. I can't offer too much on the job thing though. I'm on the hunt for job #1 as I type. Best of luck in your search!

donk

Cyburbian
Welcome from a person contemplating change.

If you think it is time to move, move as fast as you can.

el Guapo

Capitalist
That old adage that you cannot be a prophet in your hometown also applies to workplaces. To be taken seriously you have to be from somewhere else. You need to job hop, not necessarily state or city hop though. Also, don't forget our friend Mr. Quality of Life. Your next job may be a winner, but may also screw the rest of your existence. Look for a package where all three, job, community, spouse (SO) are in harmony. Also try to look / plan two or three jobs ahead from where you are now (seriously). Find out what the career path of those you wish to emulate was. Then separate the random events from the planned ones in their particular career paths. Also look at those in the dead ends. Ask how they go there. There might be some clues you can use. Good Luck

Always remember, the oxen are slow, but the earth is patient. ;)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Welcome from the inland northwest. I completely agree with NHPlanner. I'd just add that make sure the move is to the "right" position--something that you want to do and not something simply presents itself as new.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
El Guapo's advice is right on. Welcome from another midwesterner. I lived in St. Paul for awhile and really miss the Cities. Hope your driveway is not too far below the current surface.

JNL

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Look for a package where all three, job, community, spouse (SO) are in harmony.

What is this harmonious package you speak of? And where do I get one?

Welcome Patrick. I'm looking at job options too, been at my current job for 2.5 years and feel like it's not really going anywhere. I like Cardinal's advice - try talking to your current employers first, you might be surprised.

All the best for whatever you decide :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia, Patrick!
Hope you have fun here and get great input. Good luck with the job hunt! :)
Cheers! :b: :b:

Jeff

Cyburbian
Patrick have you ever seen a truck pull?

Those guys know when its time to move on .... when you feel like all you're doing is spinning wheels.

Good luck to you ... and welcome!

M22bowen

here's an option

I just started my career in the planning world and anticipate I have many similiar experiences as those discussed on this thread.

If your interested in moving on now, check out this job at an emerging urban design center that is part of a planning department in Raleigh, NC.

344-03 PLANNER II
SALARY RANGE $35,165 – $65,167
(Planning Department - Urban Design Center)

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: 1 year of public or private sector experience in the field of urban design, urban planning, architecture or landscape architecture. Bachelor’s degree in a field associated with urban planning or design, preferably supplemented by a Master’s degree in Urban Design, Urban Planning, Architecture or Landscape Architecture. Considerable knowledge in the fields of urban planning and design. AICP certification preferred.

POSITION DUTIES: Prepares and presents reports and studies. Meets with and advises citizen groups, developers, municipal officials and appointed commissions. Coordinates partnerships with professional organizations and educational institutions. Advances the application of the city’s urban design guidelines. Administers the design assistance and façade grant program. Supports the creation and implementation of strategic urban design projects. Prepares grant applications. Develops educational programs, exhibits and presentations that promote and communicate the city’s urban design policy. Develops the urban design considerations necessary for successful implementation of commercial district economic development strategies. Closing date: 1/20/04

Daniel Douglas, Director, Raleigh Urban Design Center, daniel.douglas@ci.raleigh.nc.us or 919.807.8441.

• To request an employment application, call (919) 890-3315 or download application (PDF file) at http://www.raleigh-nc.org/mis/employ.htm
• Submit your completed application on or before the closing date to: CITY OF RALEIGH PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT, P O BOX 590, RALEIGH NC 27602. Applications may be reactivated during the calendar year.
• Please refer to POSITION TITLE and NUMBER when filling out or inquiring about an application.
• All final candidates will be subject to controlled substance testing.
• The City of Raleigh is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I recall one of my professors saying that planners usually have 3 to 4 different jobs during their careers. I'm on my fourth, so I guess I better stick this one out. Welcome to the boards, post hard, post often.