• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Time Travel

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I do think that it would be fun to go to several different time periods, but if it I had to be stuck in one, it would definitely be 18th Cent. Scotland. I think maybe it is because of some of the books I have been reading, but I would go back prior to the English defeating the Scots. However, I think that the fact that baths were not a common event for any prior time period, that may just deter me from going anywhere - yuck, the smell. The lack of sanitation facilities is just not a great idea. I would have to alter history and develop the facilities.

Even if I could not go back in time, I would at least go to Scotland.

Zoning Goddess would love this section. She may even say the same thing. She reads some of the same books.

Hmmm.....interesting question. I'd like to go back to the Egyptian times when the pharoahs ruled and such so that I could witness, firsthand, the planning and construction of the pyramids.

I always thought the 1920's seemed like a fun time in American History. But I'd want to be zapped back before the stock market crash.

I think the lack of sanitation facilities and clean burning fuel would really limit my choices of "whens" to visit.

kms

Cyburbian
We still haven't dug out our driveway from the snowstorm, so I'd be happy traveling to Summer, 2002.

Summer 2002 offers good sanitation, hygiene and leisure.

Other than that, I'd choose 1900 - 1920 something, too.

Tom R

Cyburbian
time

High school. There are a couple of scores I'd like to settle that I didn't have the guts to back then. And there were a lot of girls I was too shy to approach. Things would be different.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tough choice. The Roman Era has a certain appeal, what with the wine and orgies. Then again, the Reniassance would also be an exciting time to live, except for the dominance of the church. I think my choice might be the early 1800's. That period appeals to the explorer in me. I could have spent years travelling all over the American frontier.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Funnily enough, my wife and I were talking about this very topic last night. I said "when" I would go would depend upon how long I would be there for, and whether or not I would be immune to getting any nasty diseases.

I would love to be able to walk around Toronto during the 1940s and 50s.

Like Stumpfy, I'd also like to be there for some of the golden age of exploration in North America - trekking across the Prairies, trying to find passes through the mountains, etc.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Victorian times, grab myself some cool digs and come back home with out having to worry about a bath, rats or lack of well done food

nerudite

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Victorian times, grab myself some cool digs and come back home with out having to worry about a bath, rats or lack of well done food
It's the corsets, huh? ;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hmmm time travel... so much things that one could do with it...
Prevent the WTC attacks (I would have liked that), and many many other things... For the low self-esteem they could prevent their parents meeting eachother, hence he would never have been born... :p

But I would like to go to the future, why? because nobody know what's comming!
Time travel would sure be nice, but I doubt it's posible.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Scotland several hundred years ago sounds fun.

Also to visit Florida before there were any hotels or condos on the beaches.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Hmmm....

Let's see:

1) I'd like to see the natural beauty of some areas (particularly in the Midwest) before settlement screwed the environment -- the prairies and savannas of Illinois, for example.

2) I'd like to kinda mess with the Prime Directive and change history, maybe.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I got it: I'm going back to 1840's California -- before the Gold Rush -- and I'm sitting on about 1000 acres of LA.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I would like to re-live one particularly bad day in my own life.
Masochism!
Even though harsh experiences build up character and makes one strong and gives you experience... why would one want to live the again?
Just MHO....

nerudite

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:

Masochism!
Even though harsh experiences build up character and makes one strong and gives you experience... why would one want to live the again?
Just MHO....
Actually, I can think of a few of the worst days of my life. I would want to revisit them too. Because knowing what I know now I could change a few things that happened on those days that would make a difference, and it would have made a year or two of my life much easier as a result.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Hmmm....

pete-rock said:
I'd like to see the natural beauty of some areas (particularly in the Midwest) before settlement screwed the environment -- the prairies and savannas of Illinois, for example.
Of course, the prairies and especially the savannas of Wisconsin were far nicer. ;)

The nice thing about the early 1800's is that you would get to see most of America before it was settles, and then after 20-30 years, be there at the start of the Gold Rush.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would like to go back to the early to mid-1900s. Then I could buy up all kinds of land that is valuable now.

I also think that it would have been cool to be around for the birth of rock and roll.