• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Timezone shock!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
When I moved to Chicago, I was immeadiately struck by the shortness of the days, particularly this time of year.

I moved here from Michigan.

Has anyone been struck by the dramatic difference when moving from the backend of a timezone (Michigan - rear of EST), and moving to the frontend of a timezone (Illinios - front of CST). Eeck!

Or anything else that bugs you about timezones:-D

And for you's in Indiana, your on your own. ;-)

Bangorian

Moving from Michigan, on the western front of the Eastern Time Zone, to Maine, on the eastern edge of the eastern time zone (which is giant!), was particularly shocking.

In the winter, the sun's up around 6:30am and sets around 3:30pm (EARLY!!!), and in summer, dawn comes around 4:30am and sets around 9.

No wonder they go to bed so early 'round heah! We ought to be in the Atlantic Time zone with the canadian maritimes (for more reasons than just geography!)

This in contrast to the June days in the UP where it would be light past 11!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
mendelman said:
And for you's in Indiana, your on your own.
thanks
I do not like driving to Indy for a meeting,
3 hr drive + 1 hr time zone change = 4 hrs to get there.
when I get there, what do I have to do - sit even longer.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Same for me here in Chi, Maineman!

I miss summer nights with daylight till 10pm.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
When I moved to Chicago, I was immeadiately struck by the shortness of the days, particularly this time of year.

Wow, I'm in West Michigan and have only spend short periods (2-3 days) of time in Chicago and never realized that things were so different only 250 miles to the west.

Although now that I think about it, 250 miles is not that far away and your are an hour behind Me, so I guess that is a big difference.

It must really suck over there because here is it always dark in the winter. I work in the basement and in the winter I wake up and it is dark, when I leave at 5 pm or later it is dark. The only time I can see daylight is at lunch. Good thing I don't get S.A.D (seasonal affected disorder)

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I also moved from Michigan to Chicago, and immediately noticed the difference.

Yesterday it was completely dark at 4:45pm. And it's just gonna get worse, at least for another month.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
It's not too bad in the Big Easy. In the fall, the sun sets at approximately 5:20 p.m. C.S.T. It sucks driving home from work when it's dark out. I like the extended daylight in the summertime.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Seabishop said:
Why does Indiana insist on such wackiness anyway? Is it a practical joke?
OT: If you can't figure it out, this Hoosier isn't going to tell you :-D
It drove me crazy when I first moved here because I never knew where the local time line was and if I was in a "slow" county or "fast" county.

Actually, here in the Falls of the Ohio region of Indiana, we stay on time with Louisville, KY, so that we are an hour ahead of Indianapolis most of the year. Screws everything up for Indy meetings (as JNA reported). When Indianpolis folks ask what "Fast Time" is I always tell them that our hours only have 55 minutes. There is always the longest pause after that.

BOT: My family live in New Hampshire and they are always amazed when they visit in summer that it stays light until 10:00pm here.

boiker

Cyburbian
mendelman said:

Has anyone been struck by the dramatic difference when moving from the backend of a timezone (Michigan - rear of EST), and moving to the frontend of a timezone (Illinios - front of CST). Eeck!

Or anything else that bugs you about timezones:-D

And for you's in Indiana, your on your own. ;-)
being a life long illinoisian.... I don't have a comment to this thread..

However, after living in peora and moving to chicagoland i was shocked by the 5-8 degree difference in temperature everyday. Plus lake effect cooling.. that's a unique experience. It can be 40 downtown and 75 in Aurora.. .

Hceux

Cyburbian
Okay, I'm now confused!

Huh? Do I have this right? So in the summer, it's light out til 10pm or later in the Eastern Time zone, but it's not true in the Central Time zone (or whatever it's called where Chicago is). Does light "fall" earlier or later in Chicago than in the Eastern Time Zone?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
An Example for SW Indiana
June 21, 2003
__________________Sun Rise____Sun Set
Actual Time_________5:27 AM CDT_8:15 PM CDT
Civil Twilight________ 4:56 AM CDT_8:47 PM CDT
Nautical Twilight_____4:16 AM CDT_9:26 PM CDT
Astronomical Twilight_3:31 AM CDT10:11 PM CDT

Length of Day: 14h 48m
Length Of Visible Light: 15h 51m

Last edited:

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: Okay, I'm now confused!

Hceux said:
Huh? Do I have this right? So in the summer, it's light out til 10pm or later in the Eastern Time zone, but it's not true in the Central Time zone (or whatever it's called where Chicago is). Does light "fall" earlier or later in Chicago than in the Eastern Time Zone?

Chicago
mid summer.. sun rise around 5:30am, sunset about 8:30pm

Chicago
mid winter...sun rise around 7:15am, sunset around 4:20pm

the front end of the time central time zone gives Chicago an bright, early morning.

Re: Okay, I'm now confused!

Hceux said:
Each town used to have "local" time and noon was when the sun was directly overhead. Then the railroads got built, folks began belly-aching about how to figure out when the trains would be there and we created standard time zones. So, each time zone is roughly 15 degrees wide. Which means that folks on the far edges of a time zone have the same 'time' but the sun is in a different place -- by a whole "hour".

The thing I have not heard mentioned in this thread is the effect of distance from the equator. That is one of the things which makes for short winter days and long summer days. The further north you go, the more extreme the difference is until you get to the arctic circle, at which point your 'days' and 'nights' last for months at a time.

If I recall right, part of Indiana's issue is that it has 3 time zones and that part of the state practices daylight saving time and part doesn't. Or something wacky like that. Daylight saving time is a whole 'nother ball of wax and not all states use it -- it was even whackier before federal law mandated that if a state used it, they had to change their clocks on a specific day of the year.

Did I ever mention I do astrology? This crap makes it a nightmare to figure out an accurate time of birth when casting a chart -- which is why I know so much about this nonsense: Was it or wasn't it "war time" or "daylight saving time" when you were born? It is enough to put an astrologer into therapy.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Ahhh the beauty of AZ....never worrying about daylight savings time. Only worry where the water for 3 million people comes from and 120 degree heat.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
ludes98 said:
AZ....never worrying about daylight savings time.
A friend who live there says because it's so damn hot they don't want to save any daylight.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
A friend who live there says because it's so damn hot they don't want to save any daylight.
But it is a dry heat ;-)

OT: Attaboy, RJ. Love that avatar:-D

ludes98

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Actually it works nicely because the sun rises at 5 when it is only 80 degrees. The dry heat is like being in a sauna, which IMO is better than the steam room. ;)

In Albany Today:
Sunrise: 6:42 AM
Sunset: 4:36 PM

ugh. and 5 more weeks until the solstice. I hate Dec/Jan.

Bangorian

Re: Re: Okay, I'm now confused!

So, each time zone is roughly 15 degrees wide. Which means that folks on the far edges of a time zone have the same 'time' but the sun is in a different place -- by a whole "hour".

Moving from the extreme western end of the eastern time zone to its extreme eastern end, I've experienced the effect to be closer to 2 hours difference.

Again, I think Maine should be on Atlantic Time, with hte Canadian Maritimes. Oh yeah, and the bottle deposit should be at least a quarter nowadays!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
In Albany Today:
Sunrise: 6:42 AM
Sunset: 4:36 PM

ugh. and 5 more weeks until the solstice. I hate Dec/Jan.
Whiners... whiners all of you!

Edmonton today:
Sunrise: 7:54
Sunset: 4:41

On the Winter solstice:

Sunrise: 8:48 AM Sunset: 4:16 PM

It actually doesn't bother me that much, as most of the days are very sunny in the winter. I found it harder living in WA State where it gets dark early and the weather is overcast all day long.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Go figure

The north 1/3 of Idaho is in the Pacific time zone and the south is in the Mountain time zone. Who pulled this joke off?

BKM

Cyburbian
Northern California has surise around 7:00 a.m. in the winter and sunset around 4:30. Since I work (standard day) from 7:30 to 5:30, I don't see a lot of sunlight. :(

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Louisville Solstice Sunrise -- Sunset
Winter
Sunrise -- 0756
Sunset -- 1726
Summer
Sunrise -- 0536
Sunset -- 2010 -- That's 10:10 pm in the EASTERN time zone.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's not just being at the far end of a time zone, but being at a different latitude. It gets dark early during Orlando summers (about 8:30), even though it wasn't at an extreme end of the Eastern time zone, only because it was so far south. In Buffalo, it doesn't get really dark until 9:30 or so.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I'm quite lucky... Chile has only 2 time zones, the continental (GMT -4 now with DST -3) and Oceanic (Easter Island that is GMT -6 now -5 with DST), so unless you're traveling to Easter Island, you don't have to change your watch. And in the summer you can travel through all Argentina too without changing TZ...

Current Sunrise and Sunset times in the city of the rivers:
Sunrise: 6:30 AM
Sunset: 8:45 PM
Don't ya love summer?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Gedunker said:
BOT: My family live in New Hampshire and they are always amazed when they visit in summer that it stays light until 10:00pm here.
It was a major adjustment for me when I lived in IN for 5 years!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
It was a major adjustment for me when I lived in IN for 5 years!
Obviously, my kids have trouble with the shortness of the days when they visit their Grandmother and Uncle in NH, not to mention anything about the cold and snow.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
But in the winter it gets dark early (around 4:45 now) so we like to hoard our daylight time in Indiana. At least, some of us do....

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I guess we're lucky during the winters. It is bright daylight by 6:30 a.m. and light until about 6 in the evening. Starting to miss having time to work in the yard when I come home...