• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Tiny house definition

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Anyone encounter or have a good definition for a "tiny house". Houses that are not on a permanent foundation is what I am looking for. Thanks cyburbia in advance.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess it varies by state -

like Maine can't have it on wheels and call it a dwelling - it's so confusing

so I have no idea -

I tell people we don't regulate how small a dwelling can be but if you are on water/sewer, you have to hook up

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
(Looks at the FBC.) I don't use the word "tiny house" except to describe a type of accessory housing unit that isn't allowed.

"Construction: Must not have a VIN, vehicle title, wheels, integral trailer chassis, or parts for towing or roadgoing. (Examples: trailer, recreational vehicle, tiny house on wheels.)"

Let’s look at the traits of a tiny house.

• Freestanding house that is not on a permanent foundation
  • GLA or footprint is less than X.

If you’re allowing THOWs, there’s a fine line separating them from a conventional trailer. When you start to identify too many traits that make a THOW different than an Airstream (some percentage of wood cladding, for example), you run the risk of having regulations in a definition — it’s legal, but piss poor coding practice.

If you’re prohibiting THOWs, defining a tiny house becomes a lot easier. Put conditions in the code body — no wheels, not roadgoing unless it’s on a flat trailer, must have skirting to conceal the underbody, must have permanent utility connections, etcetera.