• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Housing 🏠 Tiny houses on wheels

the_girl

can someone convince me (seriously) that these are not just RVs? what are the pros and cons (besides cost)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
can someone convince me (seriously) that these are not just RVs? what are the pros and cons (besides cost)
Nope. And that's why the form-based code I wrote prohibits them as accessory units. Under the accessory uses and single purpose structure use category:

Housing: accessory unit: secondary dwelling unit subordinate to a principal dwelling unit

Conditions: [blah, blah, blah] Construction: No VIN, vehicle title, wheels, integral trailer chassis, or parts for towing or roadgoing. (Examples: trailer, recreational vehicle, tiny house on wheels.)

I even had a little graphic with a THOW and text that said something like "don't do this", but for some reason we didn't put it in the adopted code.

An unintended result of living an eco-friendly lifestyle in a tiny house is one is compelled to get an F-350 to haul these things around.
Also, placing them on a 100 acre lot out in the boonies, and using that F-350 to commute 20 miles into town.

the_girl

Thanks guys. Sorry for the late response. I figured as much but I was getting so much static that I thought I was going crazy and misunderstanding! Yall are the best
The unintended consequence is my fav part as well bc these are almost always the same people crying about traffic!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Tiny houses are currently a fad that appeals to a population sector that's interested in a certain lifestyle. And it is a lifestyle choice. Some planners might view these things with a healthy amount of skepticism, however laudable the ultimate underlying goal might be, but at the same time we're obligated to consider as options many different housing choices. Different people want different things in housing. It's not an evil to make some provision towards evaluating the viability of some of these options.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Nope. We treat 'em just like an RV unless they want to permanently connect to a state approved wastewater treatment system. Then we treat 'em like a house.
Also, placing them on a 100 acre lot out in the boonies, and using that F-350 to commute 20 miles into town

Every. Single. Time. They want a greenfield lot out in the rural sprawl and the tiny house is supposed to somehow mitigate the cost of doing that. Once you build a driveway, a septic system, and run utilities, plus buy the lot around here, you're a quarter mil in and you still don't have something a bank will finance.

bureaucrat#3

Most I've seen are more like tiny mobile homes. Even the ones that are designed to be moved or promote that they can be moved, aren't really built to be moved. It either takes too much to secure or unsecure everything or the move stresses them.

We're getting some push to allow them as communities for affordable housing. One of the current plans shows units without kitchen or restroom facilities in unit. The community would have a bathhouse and common room/kitchen.

the_girl

Most I've seen are more like tiny mobile homes. Even the ones that are designed to be moved or promote that they can be moved, aren't really built to be moved. It either takes too much to secure or unsecure everything or the move stresses them.

We're getting some push to allow them as communities for affordable housing. One of the current plans shows units without kitchen or restroom facilities in unit. The community would have a bathhouse and common room/kitchen.
That sounds like a mobile home park... with Extra steps

the_girl

Tiny houses are currently a fad that appeals to a population sector that's interested in a certain lifestyle. And it is a lifestyle choice. Some planners might view these things with a healthy amount of skepticism, however laudable the ultimate underlying goal might be, but at the same time we're obligated to consider as options many different housing choices. Different people want different things in housing. It's not an evil to make some provision towards evaluating the viability of some of these options
I'm fine with alternative methods .... to a point. When we start using what's essentially an RVs as the main living space ...egghhhyhyh

fringe

Cyburbian
Tiny thinking is what I call a white honky wet dream.

It allows you to pretend to downsize and look greener than thou.

Also you have to rent a couple of mini-storage units to store seasonal stuff.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

Around here it's a way to live with Mom and Dad at their giant McMansion after graduating with an Ivy League degree in underwater basket weaving without the shame of living in Mom and Dad's basement.

the_girl

i know a couple who have done this almost exactly as you outlined it...