• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Tipping peeves

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I went to an actual local barber shop for a haircut on my lunch break. It's legit, I won't be going anywhere else any longer. I've tried to go 3 times now but every time it has been closed. Worth the wait though.

The question of tips came up. The haircut was $15 and I gave him a $20. Is that enough for a barber? I honestly have no clue.
That's a 33% tip. I'd say that's sufficient. I struggle with tipping outside of a restaurant environment. I would like to think that the price that they charge is sufficient for them to cover the cost to provide the service. The cobbler that I use is significantly cheaper than I feel it should be so I pay him what I feel the service is worth, well what I would pay elsewhere. It pays off because I get my back quicker as a result. The bottom line is if you feel that the $15 hair cut is worth $20 then pay $20; if you feel that the $15 haircut is worth $10 then you need to go somewhere else.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO. Been a while since we talked about tipping practices.

Last night we got frozen yogurt at one of those self-serve places where you fill your own cup with frozen yogurt and add toppings from the dispensers and then take it up to the counter where an employee weighs it and tells you the cost. I paid with a debit card last night and there was a screen on the card reader machine that asked "how much of a tip do you want to leave?" and left options which box to check: 10%, 15%, 20% or 'no tip'. You'll never guess which box I checked!

Seriously, they expect you to tip for performing no other task than telling you how much you have to pay them? I was floored! Seems like sandwich places are starting to get in on the tip action too. How long will it be before they start begging for tips when you order a burger and fries at Wendy's?

kms

Cyburbian
The bread and soup place has the same prompt when you pay with a card, but no one asks you it you want to tip when you pay with cash, nor is there a tip jar. I won’t tip if I have to stand at a counter and wait for something or do the work myself.

I’m at a conference this week. There’s a tip envelope for Mary, the housekeeper, next to the TV. I keep do not disturb on my door and don’t want housekeeping in the room while I’m here. If hotel management supports the idea that guests should tip housekeeping, then they should consider raising the room fee by a couple of bucks and just give housekeeping a raise.

I’m a generous tipper when it’s warranted, but resent facing tip jars and tip recommendations for service that it minimal at best.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO. Been a while since we talked about tipping practices.

Last night we got frozen yogurt at one of those self-serve places where you fill your own cup with frozen yogurt and add toppings from the dispensers and then take it up to the counter where an employee weighs it and tells you the cost. I paid with a debit card last night and there was a screen on the card reader machine that asked "how much of a tip do you want to leave?" and left options which box to check: 10%, 15%, 20% or 'no tip'. You'll never guess which box I checked!

Seriously, they expect you to tip for performing no other task than telling you how much you have to pay them? I was floored! Seems like sandwich places are starting to get in on the tip action too. How long will it be before they start begging for tips when you order a burger and fries at Wendy's?
Our local Jersey Mike's has a tip option when checking out. When I used to go 2 times week, I got exceptional service so I always tipped 15% or more. I always got the same sandwich, the same way; and they would start making it as soon as I walked in the door. So rarely did I have to wait long and most of the time I got my sandwich before others in line in front of me. Over time, the staff changed, my exceptional service went away, and I got treated the same as everyone else. I don't go but a couple of times a month now and I rarely tip them at all.

DVD

Cyburbian
If I have to move or grab my food off a counter I'm not tipping. The idea is that you serve me with some amount of quality and speed.

Reactions: kms

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tip for sit down restaurants, hair salons, and nail salons. Generally 15-20%.

Bartenders I will give $1 per drink tip. I usually don't tip anywhere where I walk up to a counter and order, self service, or hotel staff.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've never actually been to a hotel where they have attendants in the washroom that pass out hand towels and hold out for tips. The thought of it, though, makes me feel uncomfortable enough that I make it a point to avoid staying anywhere fancy enough that might actually have attendants in the washroom.

Are washroom attendants even a thing anymore, or are they like blue collar Brooklyn cabbies that actually speak English and talk to their fares about 'what a bunch of bums those Dodgers are'; a distant stereotype.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Like most of the responses here, with very few exceptions I don't tip at places where it's self-service or counter-service.

Those exceptions:
  • I'll throw the change from my order into the tip jar at the two local ice cream places I frequent. The service is always great and it's a bunch of 14-year-old kids working hard for little pay so I don't mind tipping (though I definitely wouldn't tip at one of those self-serve yogurt places that Maister describe... although I love those and would go to one everyday for lunch if there were one near my office)
  • I'll occasionally give an extra dollar or two at one of the pizza places that we get take out from because if I have my kids with me and it's not busy, they'll usually offer us small gelatos while we wait for our order to finish up
  • The a.m. staff at my local Starbucks knows me and my order by name, give me a venti when I only pay for a grande and when there is a huge line of people waiting for their orders they'll make mine immediately so I like to give them an extra dollar or two each week. I was told that this particular Starbucks is one of the highest volume ones in the Midwest and they have had very little turnover on the morning crew over the past decade so I like to help keep them happy

I've never actually been to a hotel where they have attendants in the washroom that pass out hand towels and hold out for tips. The thought of it, though, makes me feel uncomfortable enough that I make it a point to avoid staying anywhere fancy enough that might actually have attendants in the washroom.

Are washroom attendants even a thing anymore, or are they like blue collar Brooklyn cabbies that actually speak English and talk to their fares about 'what a bunch of bums those Dodgers are'; a distant stereotype.
There are a couple of restaurants, hotels, and conference locales here in Detroit that still have washroom attendants. It's always awkward and I never tip them.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In my experience as a mover, the folks that could least afford a decent tip were the most generous people. Folks who were being relocated by their companies almost never tipped even though it wasn't costing them one red cent. Preachers, far and away, were the cheapest SOBs on the planet.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I normally pay with cash. I tip the young lady who cuts my hair and when I go out to eat. I also tip the person who takes my bag in front of the airport when I fly.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Slightly off-topic (but still tangentially related), I have a problem with self-checkout lines. Ok, sure, put them in if you must. But if I'm scanning and bagging my own groceries, I should also be getting a discount for it. Even 1% off my purchase would be the store making an effort -- since they're more than making it back by not having to pay as many cashiers.

Last week, I went to Target and there were actually NO cashiers, just the self-serve lines open. The woman who was assisting those 6 self-serve kiosks was friendly enough and directed me to a station but I couldn't help but comment "wow, no cashiers at all?". To Target's credit, another employee quickly walked up and opened a register specifically for me. She was friendly and even pointed out some sales that were in the Target app. Even better, the sale didn't ring up when I scanned my app and she adjusted it for me manually (another reason not to use the self checkout).

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Slightly off-topic (but still tangentially related), I have a problem with self-checkout lines. Ok, sure, put them in if you must. But if I'm scanning and bagging my own groceries, I should also be getting a discount for it. Even 1% off my purchase would be the store making an effort -- since they're more than making it back by not having to pay as many cashiers.

Last week, I went to Target and there were actually NO cashiers, just the self-serve lines open. The woman who was assisting those 6 self-serve kiosks was friendly enough and directed me to a station but I couldn't help but comment "wow, no cashiers at all?". To Target's credit, another employee quickly walked up and opened a register specifically for me. She was friendly and even pointed out some sales that were in the Target app. Even better, the sale didn't ring up when I scanned my app and she adjusted it for me manually (another reason not to use the self checkout).
1000% I think I've talked about this several times on this board as well. And yes, absolutely we should get a discount for doing their job for them. But like I've said, I take some sort of perverse pleasure in responding "that's ok, I don't work here" when an employee tells me the self-checkout is open.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

If I have a choice between a self-checkout and a manned checkout I will choose the manned checkout unless doing so results in a 100% longer wait in line.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I used to be of the same mind and would avoid the self-checkout like the plague out of principle but the more I've thought about it, the more I've come around to the view that having those self checkout lines open frees up staff to work on other things in the store (restocking shelves, cleaning, working the customer service desk, acting as baggers for other checkouts, etc.) and prices would have to go up if they wanted to have the same level of service elsewhere but also have more staffed checkout lines open. So in a sense, everybody is receiving a discount just by the fact that the self-checkout lines are there.

That said, I don't like when they only have the self-checkout lines open or when it's really busy and they don't have the self-checkout lines open.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
If I have a choice between a self-checkout and a manned checkout I will choose the manned checkout unless doing so results in a 100% longer wait in line.
Sam's Club has a scan and go app that I use. I can scan my items as I pick them up and pay as I am walking toward the door. Unfortunately, I still have to wait to have my receipt checked before I exit, which I would have to do if I checked out at a self checkout or manned register.

On of the aspects that I do like about self checkout is that I have full control of how things are bagged. I worked in a grocery store through highschool and college and I took pride in bagging items. When I bag stuff for myself I can sort them by cabinets/room that they go into vs the "any bag that has room" method that my regular grocery store uses.

I think that I should get a discount to use the self checkout or incur a service charge for a manned register. I personally am willing to pay, in either money or time for a better customer service experience.

Tipping is generally after the fact and should force the employee or service provider to provide exceptional service. It shouldn't be a "participation award" for just showing up.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
1000% I think I've talked about this several times on this board as well. And yes, absolutely we should get a discount for doing their job for them. But like I've said, I take some sort of perverse pleasure in responding "that's ok, I don't work here" when an employee tells me the self-checkout is open.
Y'know, they make you go around the store and get your own stuff, too. Not like the good old days when the friendly man in the apron put your order together and wrapped it up in brown paper tied with string.

I tip on most everything. Even counter service. As the Dad in the family it is my role to be the bearer of small amounts of cash at all times. I use some of it on tip jars, even when somebody is just handing me coffee.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I normally avoid Walmart like the plague. There are a few items I get there because I can't get them elsewhere. When I am there, I use the cashier's lanes. The rest of the time, I go to grocery stores. Part of the reason is that they use cashiers.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I normally avoid Walmart like the plague. There are a few items I get there because I can't get them elsewhere. When I am there, I use the cashier's lanes. The rest of the time, I go to grocery stores. Part of the reason is that they use cashiers.
Still waiting on my W-2 from Wal-Mart for all the times I did self-checkout. I do it because I usually only have a few things and will be quicker 99% of the time.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Still waiting on my W-2 from Wal-Mart for all the times I did self-checkout. I do it because I usually only have a few things and will be quicker 99% of the time.
See, that's my problem. When I used to do it it was easily 50/50 if there would be some problem and then I'd get delayed anyway.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I tip for sit down restaurants, hair salons, and nail salons. Generally 15-20%.

Bartenders I will give $1 per drink tip. I usually don't tip anywhere where I walk up to a counter and order, self service, or hotel staff.
This is where I am at with this. My issue is restaurants that have counter service that seem to want tips. If I stand in line, order food, and it is handed to me on a tray, I am not going to leave a tip.

The other question is do you tip the maid at a hotel?

In regards to self check out... I refuse to use them. There was one occasion where there were no manned checkouts open and I asked for assistance and the staff person said that I had to use the automated checkout... so I handed them my basket of groceries and walkout out without anything.

We now buy a lot of stuff on Amazon Fresh with the 2-hour delivery window. It is super convenient to have it delivered after work. I often tip that person about 10%

kms

Cyburbian
I tipped the hotel maid $2 for a two-night stay where I declined housekeeping. I leave a clean room except for one set of bath linens and bedding. I think that I deserve a bonus for not leaving the room unkempt.

I’ll use self scan if I have a couple of things. I’ve used it for larger orders and had more trouble with the people behind me sending their groceries down the belt before mine were packed. I often thought of taking someone else’s steaks, and I did have words with a woman who started her order before I finished mine.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Sam's Club has a scan and go app that I use. I can scan my items as I pick them up and pay as I am walking toward the door. Unfortunately, I still have to wait to have my receipt checked before I exit, which I would have to do if I checked out at a self checkout or manned register.

On of the aspects that I do like about self checkout is that I have full control of how things are bagged. I worked in a grocery store through highschool and college and I took pride in bagging items. When I bag stuff for myself I can sort them by cabinets/room that they go into vs the "any bag that has room" method that my regular grocery store uses.

I think that I should get a discount to use the self checkout or incur a service charge for a manned register. I personally am willing to pay, in either money or time for a better customer service experience.

Tipping is generally after the fact and should force the employee or service provider to provide exceptional service. It shouldn't be a "participation award" for just showing up.
Don't get me started on bagging or I'll really hijack this thread! I try to organize my items on the conveyor belt to be grouped in a way that makes sense. IE: frozen first, then refrigerated (with meats together, dairy together, etc), then other random categories (loose veggies, pantry items, etc), then breads and chips (so they can go on top and not get crushed), and lastly, all non-food items (in case they spill, they won't contaminate).

Also, when I forget to bring my own shopping bag, the store typically puts 1-2 items in each plastic bag. But when I bring my own shopping bag, they fill it up so full that I can barely carry it. Groceries are such a pain!

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I typically organize my items on the conveyor belt along similar lines to RP. I often organize them in terms of breakability and stackability. I tend to put more items per bag than most baggers do but I seldom have problems with the bags breaking.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
At our office we often use Panera for catering of workshops and have them deliver it. I hate when we do that though because our purchasing department does not allow us to give a tip and I feel that when food is actually delivered, a tip is appropriate (one of the reasons we very rarely have pizza delivered). I always feel guilty when I sign the receipt on those orders but cannot add in even a bit for a tip.

When we do more formal or more involved meals in-house, those caterers can more adequately work that into their fee structure so I don't feel so guilty. But I always have a feeling that those drivers from places like Panera are getting screwed.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
At our office we often use Panera for catering of workshops and have them deliver it. I hate when we do that though because our purchasing department does not allow us to give a tip and I feel that when food is actually delivered, a tip is appropriate (one of the reasons we very rarely have pizza delivered). I always feel guilty when I sign the receipt on those orders but cannot add in even a bit for a tip.

When we do more formal or more involved meals in-house, those caterers can more adequately work that into their fee structure so I don't feel so guilty. But I always have a feeling that those drivers from places like Panera are getting screwed.
You know there's a sizable delivery fee at Panera, right? I presume the driver is sufficiently compensated through the fee.

Regardless, you can through the Purchasing Dept under the bus, if necessary. ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The last time I saw a bathroom attendant was in 1992 (I think?), in the men's room at the public market in Juarez. The attendant was an old woman. I have no idea what they did, because the bathroom was kind of what you'd expect to see at a public market in Juarez. Before that, it was probably the early 1980s, at a "feeyancy" old-school restaurant in Buffalo. I don't count the janitors who are always cleaning the bathrooms at Thruway rest areas as "attendants".

Back to tipping. A lot of small carry-out restaurants in town use iPad-based point-of-sale systems like Square.

John Taffer point of sale POS system.jpg

Yeah, one of those, Mr. Taffer. And the customer display always has prompts for a range of tips. I normally don't tip for carry out. However, having delivered pizza during my college years, I'm extremely tip-conscious. If I don't tip, I feel guilty and cheap. If I do tip, I feel like I got ripped off. So, sometimes I just say "fugit" and touch "20%", especially if it seems like the owner is manning the POS.