• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

To the Throbbing Brain - Best Advice for getting out the door in the morning

So its my first week back to work after 3 months of maternity leave. We're still working out kinks in the morning routine, but I'd love to hear the Throbbing Brain's best advice for expediting early morning madness of getting out the door.

First of all, congratulations on going back to work. I know it sucks being away from Jack, but a girl's gotta earn a living, right? :)

I used to set my alarm clock to an annoying radio station and have the volume turned up so that I had to get up and turn it off. That stopped working. I found that even if I do things like prepare my clothes, pack my lunch, etc. at night, I use that as an excuse to stay in bed longer.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Meth. 8-! It does a body good. Plus your house will be very clean.

Or if it is illegal in your state a Hazelnut Latte.:)

SGB

Cyburbian
Two syllables: Teamwork.

Work w/ your hubby to develop a system/morning routine that works for both of you.

Here's how we handle it:
I get up first, shower, then wake the wife and young'un.
Wife showers and dresses while I feed the young'un breakfast, then eat mine.
I get him dressed while she does her hair and makeup.

By the time I head out the door for work (I leave 30 minutes before them), the youngun' is ready to go and is being brainwashed by those fiends in charge of the PBS morning television shows. (Between the Lions rocks, BTW.)

This gives the wife breathing room to continue getting ready and to eat breakfast before they make the mad dash to daycare and the office.

Yes, the young'un is a toddler now, but the routine was much the same when he was an infant.

In summary: Divide & Conquer!

kms

Cyburbian
Have two diaper bags and try to keep them both ready. But if one isn't ready, the other should be. Teamwork is right, too. If you are using a family member instead of daycare, leave one of everything with the caregiver - my mom watched my kids, so I made sure I had a crib, high chair, carrier, formula, bottles and things at her house. I only had to move the kids, not any gear.

One thing I learned the hard way - plan for a last minute diaper change.

This should all become more routine for you all.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I found that I no longer had time for breakfast so I take a bagel to eat when I get to work. That saves 15-20 minutes. If you send formula or other stuff to the day care, pack that bag the night before and have it in the fridge, ready to grab and go. Leave purse, planner, keys, etc right by the door the night before so you don't have to look for them.

Zoning Goddess said:
I found that I no longer had time for breakfast so I take a bagel to eat when I get to work.
hee. that was this morning's lesson - i made oatmeal once I got to work today. It was a choice between eating breakfast this morning, or doing the dishes from dinner last night. I just could not bear to look at those dishes any longer. :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
When I was in college, I had a problem making it to a 7am class :-\ , I would set my alarm, turn it up as high as it would go, 8-! and put it in the bathroom next to the shower… I would have to get up, and out of bed, go into the bathroom to shut it off. |-) Since I was already there, I might as well as well jump in the shower… after a few minutes in the cold water :-c I was good for the rest of the day.

Now I am up at 6am every morning… (even on weekends) :-\

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Congrats on getting back to work! I hope that it is all going well and the wee one likes "school". Mac really loves going since there are more toys there.

I have to get all of Mac's stuff ready the night before or I just never get out the door. If you are feeding formula, it is a good idea to leave a small can of it at the daycare, as well as an extra bottle just in case you forget to bring his food. I have done that one a couple of times. Also, leave as many spare things at daycare such as extra clothes. It keeps me from having to get his diaper bag ready every night, all I have to do is remember his food. Sometimes if I am feeling pretty forgetful, I will put my keys on top of his food bag to make sure I remember it.

The breakfast idea at work is one I have to live by too. Plus, it gives me a few minutes to decompress and look at Cyburbia.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Today's routine was pretty typical:

6:20 Wake up, look at clock, go back to sleep.
7:10 Wake up and get out of bed, shave, shower
7:25 Get dressed, make mental note to iron some shirts
7:30 Go downstairs, drink glass of juice, grab what I need to take to work
7:35 Drive to work
7:40 Arrive at work, unlock building, turn on lights
7:45 Consume muffin and begin working.

Of course, I don't have a wife or kids to complicate my routine. Eating breakfast at work does cut some of the time off of my routine.

JNL

Cyburbian
My morning:

Wake up, start mentally preparing myself for getting out of bed, but sneaking a bit longer under the covers.... get to point of getting up, check clock, and it's only 3:00AM. D'oh. Back to sleep.

6:00 Alarm goes off. For real this time not just in my dreams. Should get up and go swimming but it's too cold. What happened to summer??
6:30 Get up and shower.
7:00 Lie down again while listening to morning news.
7:15 Wait for weather forecast then choose clothes.
7:20 Shirt looks funny with pants. Change pants.
7:30 Cereal for breakfast and make sandwich for lunch
7:45 Drive to work
8:10 Coffee and cyburbia!

Downtown, while I only have to look after myself in the morning, I struggle. If you figure out the secret to smooth, on schedule mornings, do share!!

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
The only thing I was ever able to get up early for was elk hunting. Then I realized that one reason I got up and functioned while doing that, was the hearty breakfast that is necessary as a base for wandering around in the Wyoming snow before the sun is up. I have gotten my metabolism (and everything I can learn tells me this is a healthy choice) accustomed to eating a good protein breakfast. If I get up, get breakfast organized, and eat it, going out the door (and getting Karen out with breakfast and lunch, too, is a snap). It does make for some evenings when we crawl in bed before 10!

I will also observe that, while some of you are young enough to get away with it now, all those bagel and muffin at the desk breakfasts will eventually end up in a place on your body where you don't want them.

JNL

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Leave purse, planner, keys, etc right by the door the night before so you don't have to look for them.
He he, funny mental image of little planner person waiting patiently by the door :-D

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
If it's a really tough morning (raining, dogs snoring next to me, soothing NPR announcer on alarm clock), I bribe myself out of bed with the promise of stopping somewhere for a carry-out breakfast instead of the usual oatmeal at the desk. The thought of a McGriddle or lox and bagel helps propel me out the door and onto the road. Mmmm, McGriddle....

biscuit

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Downtown, while I only have to look after myself in the morning, I struggle. If you figure out the secret to smooth, on schedule mornings, do share!!
Indeed. I am by nature a night owl and have a tough time getting going most mornings. If I'm up at or before 6:00am it's probably becasue I never went to bed the night before, not because I'm awake and/or cheery at that time.

My intened morning plan is:
6:30 wake up
6:45 Shower and Shave
7:00 Get dressed into cloths I picked out and may have ironed the previous night
7:10 Watch news, eat breakfast and enjoy a glass of orange juice - extra pulp
7:30 Leave for pleasant walk to owork
8:00 Arrive at my desk relaxed and ready to start the day

How my mornings usually seem to unfold:
6:30 Alarm goes off waking me from a dream involving Ashley Judd and/or others
6:31 Hit snooze for the first of many times
7:07 finally crawl out of bed
7:18 Shower and shave
7:25 Get dressed. If out of fresh dry cleaning try and pick out something clean that appears to be the least wrinkled.
7:32 Rush out door, there's no time for breakfast.
7:36 Run back up block to house because I left my wallet on the coffee table.
7:41 Run after bus hoping to catch it at the next red light
8:02 Arrive at desk sweaty from running across downtown from bus stop to office.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. ;-)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Getting married did the trick for me. When I lived on my own, I used to be good for a while, and then I started getting lazy in the morning. I'd still get into work about the same time, but I'd forego things like a shower or breakfast to get there. For some reason, I feel more motivated to get on with the day now I guess. My wife is definitely not a morning person though.

The routine:

6:00a.m. - alarm goes off, listen to news
6:05 - out of bed, feed cat, do the bathroom thing
6:20 - dress
6:30 - breakfast, clear dishes, brush teeth, etc.
6: 50 - out the door
6: 55 - catch the bus
7:35 - at work

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Lee Nellis said:
I will also observe that, while some of you are young enough to get away with it now, all those bagel and muffin at the desk breakfasts will eventually end up in a place on your body where you don't want them.
It isn't the muffins. A blueberry muffin and tall glass of orange juice (extra pulp) is not a bad morning routine. The problem is the lunch with a client, frozen dinner food, and no exercise.

Tran reminded me of another trick. If you are going to eat at work, keep a toothbrush in your desk. I also keep floss in the car for eating on the road. (Hey, I can eat, talk on the cell phone, adjust the radio and floss at the same time. :-\ )

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
My "get the hell out of here early" motivation is traffic. I convince myself that the morning drive to work will suck because of traffic, no matter what the traffic is actually like. That gets me moving in the morning.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
JNL said:
He he, funny mental image of little planner person waiting patiently by the door :-D
I believe some of us cyburbians are of the petite persuasion, so that may actually apply.

SGB

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I believe some of us cyburbians are of the petite persuasion, so that may actually apply.
[ot]Oh brag brag brag..... :p [/ot]

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
SGB said:
[ot]Oh brag brag brag..... :p [/ot]
Petite only means SHORT. Stores carry petite sizes all the way up to "wide-load". Altho', to keep the record straight, DAN, I am NOT a size 10 or above. ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What is this alarmclock that you speak of ?

wake up around 6 am without it.

jmf

Cyburbian
Another option is to move north to Canada where you are eligible for a full year's maternity leave! Benefits/salary vary depending on your job situation.

I am a terrible person in the morning, at least on work days. I am too lazy to pick out what I am going wear the night before but I usually figure it out while I wake up or in the shower. I take the world's fastest showers, go out with wet hair (it dries on the 1/2 hour drive to the office), I don't wear any make-up ever, and often have breakfast at my desk - ranging from oatmeal or a bagel to granola bars. Some days the dog is lucky to get out for a walk.

My only motivating factor is that I carpool so having other people waiting for me does get me moving faster when I am running really late.