• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Today is the day.

Budgie

Cyburbian
As if you guys haven't heard enough about my problems.

My divorce became official today. I don't know whether to commiserate or celebrate. I think I'll just stay busy and go fishing after work. My total apathy to the situation is what really scares me. I stopped banging my head against the wall about 7 months ago and I see this as just a formality.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Im sorry. Been there,done that and can relate in a way to how you are.

I wish you peace and hopefuly soon a new found happy life.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Been there - hang in there and you're right, stay busy and consider today a formality.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Good luck Budgie, I'll be joining you in that boat soon. Interesting, I too am developing apathy.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Good luck with the rest of your life. I will offer a comment my brother made when he got his divorce from "Hell Bitch". He said, "Do you know why divorces are so expensive? Because they are worth it!"

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
The emotional divorce was a long time ago. This day will become an anniversary to celebrate in later years.

The Irish One

I stopped banging my head against the wall about 7 months ago and I see this as just a formality
That seems like a good sign! I'll second what Otterpop said. Good luck and know that in the short and long term you are better off!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Keep your chin up....I'm 4 months past mine becoming official, and things are better....and keep getting better. Time will be your friend, as you move on with your life.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
All this talk of divorce is starting to make me second-guess getting married (once I find the right woman).

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Good luck dealing with it. As others said you're past the worst of it at this point. Enjoy your new single life.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
michaelskis said:
All this talk of divorce is starting to make me second-guess getting married (once I find the right woman).
Words of advice: Don't do it.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
The tax man cometh, the ex-wife goeth...instead of celebrating or commiserating, reflect. Take a drive. Find yourself again.

Tom R

Cyburbian
the day

Good luck (fishing and otherwise) and take care of yourself.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Well, at least you get to have your divorce on an otherwise sucky day. Hopefully the apathy is a good sign and the next step will be a good one. Take care of yourself and do something nice for YOU.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Hang in there. I thankfully have no experience in these matters and hope I never do.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Hate is the opposite of Love, if you do either one of those you are still committed to the relationship.
I remember a day when I saw my ex walking down the street holding hands with his new wife and a smile came to my face and a peace in my heart that he found love and was happy. Since then when ending relationships I have looked for that kind of neutralness or perhaps as you describe it apathy. It really is a good thing although it does make you wonder if there is something wrong with you that you feel that way....
Always here for you, hang in there...

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Don't you Budge, Budgie!
I have no specific experience but can only try to understand.
Maybe its time to Discover your self more and be at peace with it.
Also remember not to make the same mistakes again ( if you made any).
And keep looking ahead.
Best wishes from my side and all the best. :b:

PS:
My total apathy
I too am developing apathy.
This could just be the mental conditioning- the survival mechanism. Quite natural.
I stopped banging my head
With your kind of music interest it should be a different kind of head banging.

Just trying to be cheerful here.:)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
With your kind of music interest it should be a different kind of head banging.
Yes, I do still bang my head, just not agains solid stationary objects. In fact, I'm getting back to my roots. Blue Grass and the NWOBHM. I think apathy can be a survival instinct, but I didn't grow apathetic over night, it's taken years to get to this point.

Thanks for your support and words of wisdom.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Hang in there, Budgie. I've been there, too. Better days will come soon.

Maybe apathy is not the right word to describe the "Divorce Day" feeling. Maybe anti-clamactic. It's simply a formality that legalizes what you already knew to be true.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
michaelskis said:
Yea, what he said.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
solid stationary objects
Ya Sometimes we encounter those conflicting ideologies and attitudes and they are like Solid Stationary Objects.

By the way how bout some Satriani. Pretty exhilirating musik, isn't it. Especially when you are :b:ining