• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Today's Quiz

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I got 6 out of 10, but this quiz is not that insightful. It asks some very basic questions of history and Islamic legalism, but it doesn't really get into the philosophical tenents of Islam. That would be much more instructive than mere trivia. Though the question about Islam's stand on the validity of Christianty and Judaism gets more towards what I'm talking about.

El Feo

Cyburbian
8 out of 10 right, but I would say the "quiz" mischaracterizes the de facto role of an Imam, and outright gets the meaning of "Jihad" wrong (I got both those questions "right" according to them, though).

On the bright side, now I know what Zakat is, and how to convert, which should be helpful if a Democrat is elected president. ;)

BKM

Cyburbian
El Feo

Just curious: what is your understanding of the term "jihad"? I have read a lot of debate about the term and its meaning. The definition in this quiz is the softest, most "politically correct" answer, but I'm not sure its really "wrong" per se.

nerudite

Cyburbian
8 out of 10. But then I dated a muslim guy (which he pronounced/spelled moslem btw) for two years.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Re: El Feo

BKM said:
Just curious: what is your understanding of the term "jihad"? I have read a lot of debate about the term and its meaning. The definition in this quiz is the softest, most "politically correct" answer, but I'm not sure its really "wrong" per se.

Well, I think you're right. My characterization of it as "wrong" may be less than nuanced, but then, you know I'm an arrogant American cowboy Republican (TM) ;). Maybe I should say I think it's incomplete or a bit naive with respect to what the "spiritual struggle" actually entails. As I have been told by "lapsed Muslim" friends, "jihad" is the struggle between dar al-Islam (The House of God or Peace) and dar al-Harb (The House of War). It can be a personal, internal spiritual struggle between belief and doubt for an individual, but in the past 400 years has also come to literally mean (to many "mainstream" Muslims, as well as more fundamentalist strains such a Wahhabism) the violent conflict between the world of believers (which comprise dar al-Islam on Earth) and the infidels and unbelievers that constitute dar al-Harb.

Therefore, it means both a sort of touchy-feely individual struggle with the bigger questions of God, belief, the meaning of life & death, etc., and...the not-so touchy-feely conflict between Muslims and unbelievers, in which the options are (a) submission and conversion of the infidel, or (b) their death, if they are unwilling to submit.

Like all religious questions, this is obviously open to interpretation, and since I'm a non-Muslim I'm sure many Muslims would call me a biased, ignorant xenophobe and dismiss this out-of-hand. But I trust the friends who have explained this to me. I think this "fuller" definition is pretty darn far afield from the impression one would get from this little quiz.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Only 1/10 for me. However, I challenge any Muslim to do better on a quiz about white bread backwoods hicks from Atlantic Canada.

donk

Cyburbian
BME challenged
I challenge any Muslim to do better on a quiz about white bread backwoods hicks from Atlantic Canada.
Here are my questions for that quiz

1) What is the correct answer to "howse she goin'?
2) What is rapi pie?
3) Fried bologna - Maple leaf or schneiders?
4) Alpine or Schooner?
5) EI, UI or pogie?
6) Start a new job or duck hunting season?
7) New car or new ATV?

BKM

Cyburbian
El Feo:

Therefore, it means both a sort of touchy-feely individual struggle with the bigger questions of God, belief, the meaning of life & death, etc., and...the not-so touchy-feely conflict between Muslims and unbelievers, in which the options are (a) submission and conversion of the infidel, or (b) their death, if they are unwilling to submit.

Well, the very history of the religion would suggest that your more hardline definition of the term is somewhat accurate.

This is one liberal who does not automatically assume that another (non-western) religion is somehow superior because it is from a non-western culture. My dislike of fundamentalism (organized religion in general, frankly) extends very vigorously to Islam as well (and certainly to the Protestant right which controls much of your Republican Party :) )

Although, I still believe in Freedom of Religion and would never believe that somebody doesn't have the right to believe in Allah. Its just that Islam has never reconciled the conflict between state and religion. They see, I understand, no way to separate the different elements of life. Maybe I, too, am just a biased westerner who doesn't understand the joy of "submission" (the definition of "Islam) to another Semitic tribal Fire God.