• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Too bad Democrats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
I'm sitting here straddling the fence, looking for some excuse to vote for John Kerry and i just can't. I used to be a pretty big Bush supporter, but lately he is just pissing me off a little more as every day goes by. Here are a few of my concerns that i've seen Bush oppose but i can find NO opinion from John Kerry.

I'm going to focus in on the micro level concerns, not Education, Abortion, gay rights, & Iraq, the only concerns it seems the U.S. has these days.

1. Mass transportation. I've read recently that Bush would veto ANY and all tax increase in gas to fund road improvements or mass transportation. I would definatly agree with the vote to veto road improvements, but mass transportation? Amtrak needs some serious investment.

2. Smart Growth, i've never heard either candidate mention these words.

3. Hope VI. Bush wants to cut this program all together, i've yet to hear Kerry attack Bush on this, or mention he'd increase funding or just keep the damn program up and running period.

4. Social Security. Ummm, it is still going to go in the tank if someone doesn't do anything SOON. Once again this has taken a back seat to Iraq, a damn war we have ALREADY WON. There is already a new government installed, all we have to do is play police for another year or 2. Sure people die, it is a conflict, they die in conflicts.

5. Healthcare. I'm 24 yr old college student with no healthcare. I have a few issues that most people would go check out immediatly. My neck has hurt me since 1999, i have some moles that need removing, and i've recently found a skin discoloration, that is getting larger every month. Yay, i may have some sort of skin disease but thanks to our gov't, i can't do smack about it!

Once again i am no Bush supporter anymore (where is John McCain when you need him!!), and i am looking for an excuse to vote for Kerry, but i just can't find one. I'd rather have a moron in office making decisions than a moron in office making no decisions.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Kobayashi said:
I'd rather have a moron in office making decisions than a moron in office making no decisions.
When you look at it that way, consider that when you have a moron making decisions, those decisions are usually going to be moronic. I'd rather have no decisions, no action, than noronic actions.

Let's look at your points.

1. Mass transportation. I've read recently that Bush would veto ANY and all tax increase in gas to fund road improvements or mass transportation. I would definatly agree with the vote to veto road improvements, but mass transportation? Amtrak needs some serious investment.
So, why support Bush over Kerry if you disagree with him over mass transit?

2. Smart Growth, i've never heard either candidate mention these words.
Urban issues haven't been at the forefront of federal campaigns and politics since the 1960s.

3. Hope VI. Bush wants to cut this program all together, i've yet to hear Kerry attack Bush on this, or mention he'd increase funding or just keep the damn program up and running period.
Again, see my comment at #1.

4. Social Security. Ummm, it is still going to go in the tank if someone doesn't do anything SOON. Once again this has taken a back seat to Iraq, a damn war we have ALREADY WON. There is already a new government installed, all we have to do is play police for another year or 2. Sure people die, it is a conflict, they die in conflicts.
* Social Security scares have been with us since the 1970s.
* We didn't win Iraq YET. "Mission Accomplished" my ass ... there are more troops getting killed now than the time from the start of the invasion to the capture of Baghdad.

5. Healthcare. I'm 24 yr old college student with no healthcare. I have a few issues that most people would go check out immediatly. My neck has hurt me since 1999, i have some moles that need removing, and i've recently found a skin discoloration, that is getting larger every month. Yay, i may have some sort of skin disease but thanks to our gov't, i can't do smack about it!
Kerry is leaning towards single-payer universal health coverage. With Bush, you'll stay uninsured.

So, tell me ... why suport Bush again? Just because he's "taking action," even though all that action is in a direction you disapprove of? Your post doesn't make any sense.

Cirrus

Cyburbian
I don't get it. If Kerry doesn't "earn" your vote then Bush gets it by default? That doesn't make any sense. Why doesn't Bush have to earn your vote too?

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Why support Bush? Based on his macro policies. That of Gay marriage, tax-cuts, his view on abortion, and his international policy. I tend to like the whole, we are America "F everyone else". IMHO we should always look out for our self interest first.

For me to ignore Kerry's stance on these issues, i'd need som reassurance that Kerry is going to do something about the other major concerns.

Cirrus said:
I don't get it. If Kerry doesn't "earn" your vote then Bush gets it by default? That doesn't make any sense. Why doesn't Bush have to earn your vote too?
See my last post.

I have a few conservative social issues, those being abortion and gay marriage. Also, i'm a strong supporter of school vouchers. Bush was once a supporter of this as well, but since he has been in office he has done nothing. But i'd rather have Bush in there not increasing public school funding than Kerry in there jacking up taxes left and right.

I've also read recently that Democrats want to increase taxes to fund road improvements, something i totally disagree with. I would not mind a tax increase for rail improvements and mass transportation as a whole. I'd rather have Bush ignoring the issue than have Kerry in there increasing funding to something that doesn't need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cirrus

Cyburbian
Regarding gay marriage: Last I checked, Kerry and Bush both opposed gay marriage. Kerry wants to let the states decide whether they want to allow "civil unions", but doesn't think they should be called "marriages". The only major difference between them would seem to be that Bush wants to impose a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage altogether. Bush wants to use big government to impose unpopular laws on far away populations that would prefer to make a local decision. Beyond that ironic twist of Republicans pushing for big government and Democrats leaving it up to the states, whatever your stance on the issue of gay marriage, I really hope you don't want to turn the Constitution - a document written to guarantee rights - and turn it in to an instrument for discrimination.

Regarding roads vs transit funding: At the Federal level it all comes from a single piece of legeslation called TEA. There are currently three versions of the bill being floated (a Senate version, a House version and a Bush version). Of the three, the Bush version is by far the smallest and makes the most cuts to transit. A number of new starts light rail lines planned for the next few years will not be built under the Bush version of the bill.

Regarding international policy: American hegemony is gone. It would take a whole class to even really scratch the surface of the issue, so I recognize a single paragraph isn't likely to sway anyone. But never the less, it is no longer in our best interest to piss the rest of the world off. Our military is still the strongest, but it's a holdover - given that our economy is no longer the biggest in the world (recently surpassed by the EU and not safe from being surpassed by China in the next generation), we can't afford to keep the military so much more powerful than the rest of the world. We may remain the biggest for years to come, but we will be first among equals, not a hyperpower several orders of magnitude above anyone else. We certainly can't afford to do it with continued tax cuts.

Long story short: American power is based not on the strength of the military, but on the strength of our economy. The more we distance ourselves from the rest of the world, the less the rest of the world will be willing to support our economy by buying our goods (witness French boycotts of McDonalds). It is NOT in our best interest to piss off everyone else. It didn't work for Hitler and it won't work for us.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Tell me you do not really feel that an amendment to prevent gays from "marrying" (which really isn't the issue) is more important than health care? We have a lot of problems in this country more important than worrying about what consenting adults do in the bedroom. If this is your biggest concern, I suggest you examine your priorities.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
Tell me you do not really feel that an amendment to prevent gays from "marrying" (which really isn't the issue) is more important than health care? We have a lot of problems in this country more important than worrying about what consenting adults do in the bedroom. If this is your biggest concern, I suggest you examine your priorities.
Of course this is not my major concern, and if it was, you have no right to say that it shouldn't be my top priority. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs.

I strictly did not mention the popular political problems b/c i wanted democrats to focus on the points i mentioned in my original post.

Please read an entire thread before posting. Don't disect a single sentence in a paragraph and then attack me. If you can't comment on the original concerns i mentioned, then please don't bother communicating at all with me in this thread. If you feel like you should reply to this thread, then go right ahead, i will not respond.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Kobayashi said:
..... I tend to like the whole, we are America "F everyone else". IMHO we should always look out for our self interest first. ......

Your view of how to "look out for our own self interest first" is short sighted to say the least.

Childish, petulant, ignorant, idiotic, naive, and sophomoric also come to mind.

But hey, continue to vote your civil rights away, and everything you have ever held dear. You have a right to do that. Some people think blind faith without reason is the way to live, and your in the right party for that.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Cirrus said:
Regarding gay marriage: Last I checked, Kerry and Bush both opposed gay marriage. Kerry wants to let the states decide whether they want to allow "civil unions", but doesn't think they should be called "marriages". The only major difference between them would seem to be that Bush wants to impose a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage altogether. Bush wants to use big government to impose unpopular laws on far away populations that would prefer to make a local decision. Beyond that ironic twist of Republicans pushing for big government and Democrats leaving it up to the states, whatever your stance on the issue of gay marriage, I really hope you don't want to turn the Constitution - a document written to guarantee rights - and turn it in to an instrument for discrimination.

Regarding roads vs transit funding: At the Federal level it all comes from a single piece of legeslation called TEA. There are currently three versions of the bill being floated (a Senate version, a House version and a Bush version). Of the three, the Bush version is by far the smallest and makes the most cuts to transit. A number of new starts light rail lines planned for the next few years will not be built under the Bush version of the bill.

Regarding international policy: American hegemony is gone. It would take a whole class to even really scratch the surface of the issue, so I recognize a single paragraph isn't likely to sway anyone. But never the less, it is no longer in our best interest to piss the rest of the world off. Our military is still the strongest, but it's a holdover - given that our economy is no longer the biggest in the world (recently surpassed by the EU and not safe from being surpassed by China in the next generation), we can't afford to keep the military so much more powerful than the rest of the world. We may remain the biggest for years to come, but we will be first among equals, not a hyperpower several orders of magnitude above anyone else. We certainly can't afford to do it with continued tax cuts.

Long story short: American power is based not on the strength of the military, but on the strength of our economy. The more we distance ourselves from the rest of the world, the less the rest of the world will be willing to support our economy by buying our goods (witness French boycotts of McDonalds). It is NOT in our best interest to piss off everyone else. It didn't work for Hitler and it won't work for us.
You bring up some very interesting points. This is the type of post i was hoping someone would post. A post that attacks all the issues i previously mentioned.

Regarding the TEA. If i were to vote for Kerry, how can i be assured that his version of the bill would be passed?

Also, i personally feel that Kerry is playing to the conservatives with his view on Iraq and gay marriage, just to get a couple southern states (also why we will probably see John Edwards VP). I have this gut feeling he will take a more liberal stance on the issues once he were to take office.

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Your view of how to "look out for our own self interest first" is short sighted to say the least.

Childish, petulant, ignorant, idiotic, naive, and sophomoric also come to mind.

But hey, continue to vote your civil rights away, and everything you have ever held dear. You have a right to do that. Some people think blind faith without reason is the way to live, and your in the right party for that.
Where are the admins around here? I simply wanted to have a civil conversation about the topics i originally mentioned and yet the most extreme libs have decided to attack me. Thanks...you are REALLY going to convince me to vote for Kerry with this attitude.

This is another reason i have never voted for a democratic President (i did vote for a dem governor). It seems instead of using your mind and arguing the points, you simply cut corners and revert to grade school, recess, mud slinging.

If anything was "childish, petulant, ignorant, idiotic, naive and sophmoric" it was your post.

Dan said:
So, tell me ... why suport Bush again? Just because he's "taking action," even though all that action is in a direction you disapprove of? Your post doesn't make any sense.
Basically, i'd rather have a man that believes in something, than a man avoiding issues, dodging questions and just saying whatever he can to get a few votes.

As i said previously, my confidence in Bush drops daily. My blind faith is losing it's grip over my body :)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Kobayashi said:
Where are the admins around here? I simply wanted to have a civil conversation about the topics i originally mentioned and yet the most extreme libs have decided to attack me. Thanks...you are REALLY going to convince me to vote for Kerry with this attitude.
You cannot expect to throw out a bunch of controversial issues and then expect to not be criticized for your views. If you cannot take the heat, I suggest you sick with tamer issues.

Kobayashi said:
This is another reason i have never voted for a democratic President (i did vote for a dem governor). It seems instead of using your mind and arguing the points, you simply cut corners and revert to grade school, recess, mud slinging.
So using gross generalizations are better?

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
You cannot expect to throw out a bunch of controversial issues and then expect to not be criticized for your views. If you cannot take the heat, I suggest you sick with tamer issues.

So using gross generalizations are better?
/ignore

get back to the points.

Cirrus

Cyburbian
Regarding TEA: TEA is a 6-year bill. That is, it is rewritten and adopted only once every 6 years. The previous bill expired last year. So theoretically it will not be an issue for Kerry, but is a major reason for disappointment with Bush. TEA is at the very top of a very short list of bills the Bush administration is actively working against. It's numero uno on the Bush hit list. That this administration is holding up the new version, trying to convince both houses of Congress to chop it up, speaks of how little interest the administration has in urban infrastructure.

Assuming Bush holds TEA up until next year, there is no absolute guarantee a Kerry administration would support it (as it really hasn't surfaced as an election issue), but every indirect indicator would seem to suggest he would do a better job. TEA enjoys enormous bipartisan support in Congress. Republicans are lining up with Democrats against Bush. Urban infrastructure is an issue where anyone but Bush, even another Republican, would almost certainly be an improvement.

... and that's all to say nothing of Bush's ties to the oil industry. Not that I necessarily think there is any conspiracy going on, but how much support do you really think a man whose money comes from oil would ever give to transit, or anything else that might endanger the automobile's role in American life?

Regarding Kerry being a moderate:
I realize that, thanks to GW, we're all soured at politicians who promise to be moderates and then move to the extreme once elected.
... But that's hardly Kerry's fault. Blame the man who promised to be a "compassionate conservative" and then assembled the most right-wing administration in recent memory.

Regarding Kerry flip flopping:
I continue to be amazed that people view a moderate politician willing to take in new information, admit previous assumptions based on incomplete information were incorrect and then make new decisions as a "poor leader" but view the man who refuses to move an inch from his predetermined guns for no apparent rational and against overwhelming contrary evidence as a "strong leader". Maybe I'm crazy, but I think being able to learn from one's mistakes and hear alternative viewpoints is a positive characteristic for the leader of a country to have.

ChevyChaseDC

Cyburbian
Interesting that you ask all of these questions, I think that there are a lot of people around the country in your same boat, having most likely voted for Bush in 2000 and now hoping to find sufficient favor with Kerry.

I think John Kerry is an elitist windbag. I'm going to vote for him anyway. I'd rather have an unexciting, "flip-flopping" (er, willing to change positions after actually thinking hard about the issues) president than an inarticulate intellectual lightweight who not only doesn't understand the complexities of most of the issues facing the nation (except the epidemic of steroid use in professional athletes), but doesn't care to either.

I know you didn't really want to talk about the war, but I'm going to anyway...Bush and his administration make me terribly uneasy. The "With us or against us" has stirred up quite the hornets nest of anti-American sentiment and, arguably, terrorism around the world that simply did not exist before W. began rattling the sabres of war after 9/11. You mentioned that you liked how this administration seems to stand firm in putting America's interests first. I would argue that that has not been the case at all, and that we are far less safe and secure, both from physical attack and economic harm (in the form of petroleum), than we were before invading Iraq, and certainly ought to be at this stage due to misplaced priorities in combating terrorism.

So, in short, John Kerry talks like a douche. But he is an articulate and intellectual douche, and is someone who understands what it means to make a personal sacrafice in serving one's country.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]
Kobayashi said:
Where are the admins around here?
There's me.Chet and El Guapo. I'm a liberal Democrat. Both Chet and El Guapo are Republicans who consier themselves conservative; they're encouraged to keep things "fair and balanced." El Guapo is very outspoken about his politics, and he's perhaps one of Cyburbia's most articulate wonks on the right.

If either of them, or any of the moderators, have a problem with this thread, as with any political debate, they're entitled to step in and guide it in an appropriate direction, and even lock it if they feel it has degraded into namecalling and ad-hominem attacks.[/ot]

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
kubayashi said:
Yay, i may have some sort of skin disease but thanks to our gov't, i can't do smack about it!
I think you just answered your own question a to why you should vote democrat. Patheric how liberals try to hide behind their personal plight as a government problem. It would cost you about $50-$75 without insurance to have a mole or similar skin problem removed. I know, I've done it when I was your age (and yes it was cheaper then). So quit your whining, tell the wife to make you raman noodles instead of Kraft mac-n-sheese for a while, and go see a doctor and TELL THEM you are uninsured, as the rates are different. Oh, and if you dont want advice, dont post personal crap here

kubayashi said:
Its not just the libs that are attacking you... You have a unique and dissapointing way of trolling for responses then trying to hide behind barriers. When you are capable of making your own logical arguements and posting your own thoughtful replies when challenged, we may hold up a yellow card to an "attacker". Right now, the only one close to getting warned would be Duke of Dystopia, but even he has established a firm track record of defending his positions with intellect, whether or not we agree with them.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I think you just answered your own question a to why you should vote democrat. Patheric how liberals try to hide behind their personal plight as a government problem. It would cost you about $50-$75 without insurance to have a mole or similar skin problem removed. I know, I've done it when I was your age (and yes it was cheaper then). So quit your whining, tell the wife to make you raman noodles instead of Kraft mac-n-sheese for a while, and go see a doctor and TELL THEM you are uninsured, as the rates are different. Oh, and if you dont want advice, dont post personal crap here

Its not just the libs that are attacking you... You have a unique and dissapointing way of trolling for responses then trying to hide behind barriers. When you are capable of making your own logical arguements and posting your own thoughtful replies when challenged, we may hold up a yellow card to an "attacker". Right now, the only one close to getting warned would be Duke of Dystopia, but even he has established a firm track record of defending his positions with intellect, whether or not we agree with them.
At what point did i not make a logical and thoughtful reply?

BTW, how do you know i'm not already eating raman noodles? I'm sorry, cutting out Mac N Cheese from my diet would not pump 75 bucks into my checking account to have my skin checked out. Did you also not notice the part about my neck?

According to my wife Raman noodles are in the ballpark of 40 cents a pack and Kraft Mac N Cheese is around 59 cents a pack. We eat Mac N Cheese about once a week. Under your medical plan it would about 7 and half years to come up with the necessary 75 dollars to visit the doctor. If i were to have a variety of skin cancer, i'm sure i'd be dead before I could make it to the doctor under your plan.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Kobayashi said:
At what point did i not make a logical and thoughtful reply?
Here for starters:

Kobayashi said:
[snip]

/ignore

get back to the points.
I beleive Giff was raising a legit question / issue with your posts and debate in his reply post. You obvisouly couldnt go toe to toe.

Oh, and here too:

Kobayashi said:
[snip]This is another reason i have never voted for a democratic President (i did vote for a dem governor). It seems instead of using your mind and arguing the points, you simply cut corners and revert to grade school, recess, mud slinging.
...but I'm sure you're not done dazzling us with that southern wit and charm yet (sorry southerners). By the way, you just described your self actions there (again) with that last snip.

Kobayashi said:
According to my wife Raman noodles are in the ballpark of 40 cents a pack
I dont know where you shop but perhaps college isnt your thing. High school home economics might be better (take the wife too).

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I dont know where you shop but perhaps college isnt your thing. High school home economics might be better (take the wife too).
How does where i shop relate to me going to college?

And you should take a class on manners, and maybe one titled "How not to act like an old jackass, even though you really are one."

For being such an enlightened individual, i bet being a moderator of a message board sure is a let down.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Hey, I'm also a moderator, let me chime in with my nuturing hat on..

Kobayashi said:
...Under your medical plan it would about 7 and half years to come up with the necessary 75 dollars to visit the doctor. If I were to have a variety of skin cancer, I’m sure I’d be dead before I could make it to the doctor under your plan.
Bummer

Kobayashi said:
...5. Healthcare. I'm 24 yr old college student with no healthcare. I have a few issues that most people would go check out immediately. My neck has hurt me since 1999, I have some moles that need removing, and I’ve recently found a skin discoloration, that is getting larger every month. Yay, i may have some sort of skin disease but thanks to our gov't, i can't do smack about it!
Dems da breaks. I agree it sucks to be an uninsured sickly dude in a rich country. But for reasons of keeping a sharp and responsive labor force available to fat cat Republican exploiters of the workers we need the occasional person to die a slow lingering death without the slightest hope of society saving him, or merely offering pain medications, to serve as an example to other people of what happens when you spend to much time on an internet bulletin board starting **** and not enough time out picking tomatoes so rich Republicans like me can enjoy a salad. Pick tomatoes 5 days a week and you'll get some medical care - I promise.

You must hang out at the library posting for free on the Internet instead of harvesting those juicy Roma tomatoes we fat cat Republicans love in our salads. You surely didn't buy a computer, and aren't paying a monthly Internet hook up fee over getting your spreading patch of gangrene checked out by Republican Doctors (they hate trial lawyers)? Why that would be a bad decision on your part. You might not even get to pass your genetic material on to a mate if you picked trolling over biopsies. Bummer that Darwinisim.

Suggestion: You could getupoffayourass and buy a freaking soldering iron at Radio Shack for $10 and cauterize the damn things yourself. But my guess is that if you expect the government to give a **** about you and your health, you'll be dead before the next election and I won't have to worry if you ever voted for JFK2.

I hope your enjoying Cyburbia. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Again, cant stand up to a debate. sad.

Kobayashi said:
How does where i shop relate to me going to college?
Anybody wanna re-read what I wrote and help him out on that? Must be a high concept.

Kobayashi said:
And you should take a class on manners, and maybe one titled "How not to act like an old jackass, even though you really are one."

For being such an enlightened individual, i bet being a moderator of a message board sure is a let down.
I'll let that go, since by Alabama standards I am old enough to be your father.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Real cute "moderator". What grade are you in again?

Change my avatar and my slogan.....

Grow up.

BKM

Cyburbian
As a left-wing Democrat (although skeptical) can I trollingly suggest that the Democratic Party shouldn't water down whatever feeble principles it has left to appeal to "social conservatives" like our Mobile gentleman. I mean, come on, Gay Marriage as the defining issue (I love the expropriation of the rainbow flag for the extra nasty little dose of "social conservative" sarcasm. I bet your buddies down at the College Republicans would love that)

Please, please vote for George W. There is NOTHING John Kerry should do to earn your vote.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Again, cant stand up to a debate. sad.

Anybody wanna re-read what I wrote and help him out on that? Must be a high concept.

I'll let that go, since by Alabama standards I am old enough to be your father.
Again reverts to personal attacks, sad.

BTW Chet, you are late on your rent again. Don't make me haul your house off the lot.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wasnt me with the avatar thing I swear. But it does amuse me, if ever so slightly.
And since you felt compelled to issue a reply...let me bring up another of your gems to demonstarte that you're talking out of both sides of your mouth:

kobayashi said:
If you feel like you should reply to this thread, then go right ahead, i will not respond.
cant help yourself can ya? :-\ heh heh looks like someone here has a chat room addiction.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Kobayashi said:
Real cute "moderator". What grade are you in again?

Change my avatar and my slogan.....

Grow up.
Correction: It should be moderator's, as more than one of us think you need "spacial attention" as the corrections officers in Alabama are often heard to say. Sometimes a young boy, not unlike yourself will enter the facility and want to make a name for himself right off the bat. If he is smart, powerfully built and able to withstand some pain he just may rise to the top of the social structure. If he is, well underdeveloped in any of these areas he becomes an object of ammusement. Thus, the circle of life is littered with people that screwed with those chosen few that held the keys to their exstence. It really is not very wise of you to take the many generous hints that have been offered you about how to conduct yourself here in this community. Cyburbia is littered with the unused corpses of people that only came to troll. Those that came to have fun and exchange ideas, even wacky ones are still here for the most part. :)

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
BKM said:
As a left-wing Democrat (although skeptical) can I trollingly suggest that the Democratic Party shouldn't water down whatever feeble principles it has left to appeal to "social conservatives" like our Mobile gentleman. I mean, come on, Gay Marriage as the defining issue (I love the expropriation of the rainbow flag for the extra nasty little dose of "social conservative" sarcasm. I bet your buddies down at the College Republicans would love that)

Please, please vote for George W. There is NOTHING John Kerry should do to earn your vote.
I didn't change my avatar to the gay flag and my slogan, it was chet the so called moderator.

Also chet, you mentioned it was "sad" that i couldn't respond to every little debate thrown my directioin. I'm sorry, i'm a college student i don't have the time to sit around and reply on some internet message board to every little question in the world. It is fairly obvious with your 6000 plus replies, that you have much more time than i ever will.

Oh, and thanks for hijacking my thread....

Last edited:

jordanb

Cyburbian
They have colleges in Mobile?

I didn't think they were in to that there book lernin. :-D ;)

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
They have colleges in Mobile?

I didn't think they were in to that there book lernin. :-D ;)
LoL, believe it or not nearly every professor in my geography department is NOT from Alabama :)

el Guapo said:
Correction: It should be moderator's, as more than one of us think you need "spacial attention" as the corrections officers in Alabama are often heard to say. Sometimes a young boy, not unlike yourself will enter the facility and want to make a name for himself right off the bat. If he is smart, powerfully built and able to withstand some pain he just may rise to the top of the social structure. If he is, well underdeveloped in any of these areas he becomes an object of ammusement. Thus, the circle of life is littered with people that screwed with those chosen few that held the keys to their exstence. It really is not very wise of you to take the many generous hints that have been offered you about how to conduct yourself here in this community. Cyburbia is littered with the unused corpses of people that only came to troll. Those that came to have fun and exchange ideas, even wacky ones are still here for the most part. :)
I could careless about making a name for myself. In fact i was hoping to go unnoticed (too late for that). Basically i came to this board for advice. I felt naked at first, i'm only 24 and do not yet have a degree. Thus, everyone here has been helpful, entertaining and for the most part friendly, excluding Chet.

plankton

Cyburbian
This has been a most enjoyable thread. I used to just visit Cyburbia only while at work, but this discussion is a testament as to why I come here increasingly on my own time. Hats off to the 'burbia crowd (& mods, in particular) once again. I usually only laugh this hard while watching The Daily Show or Viva La Bam.....

IMHO, ChevyChaseDC hit the nail on the head. The current level of anti-american sentiment around the globe is totally unacceptable (and down right upsetting, to say the least). This shizit has got to stop. The invasion (yea, right, war) is far from over. I've got some co-workers and peeps in my neighborhood that will attest that to that.

Kobayashi, as for your original inquiry, ask yourself this question: Were you better off four years ago?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Kobayashi said:
I didn't change my avatar to the gay flag and my slogan, it was chet the so called moderator.

Also chet, you mentioned it was "sad" that i couldn't respond to every little debate thrown my directioin. I'm sorry, i'm a college student i don't have the time to sit around and reply on some internet message board to every little question in the world. It is fairly obvious with your 6000 plus replies, that you have much more time than i ever will.

1) It was not me that changed your profile.

2) If you cant finish what you start, you can expect a good hijacking now and then. I dont have a lot of time to post long explainations either, which is why I dont tend to START derisive thread topics. I will call the fool a fool when called upon to though. And as one of the longest members of Cyburbia, a high post count is not uncommon.

el Guapo

Capitalist
PS It were I who Prided thee. :)

I did get the permission of the Cyburbia Pride Coordinator beforehand.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
If you don't want to vote for Kerry or Bush, then maybe you should vote for some other party, or if your feeling lucky, write in your own name, that's what I'm doing again this year. If you would like to hear my position on the issues, let me know. Rumpy '04

el Guapo

Capitalist
Rumpy
Here was my platform back in the day. I'm going to have to change a few positions though cause of that personal growth crap everyone is always talking about.

Use what you can, and good luck.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Kobayashi said:
LoL, believe it or not nearly every professor in my geography department is NOT from Alabama :).......
I hadn't realized that Alabama was doing experiments in Artificial Intelligence. 8-!

Don't presume to understand other peoples politics in neat little catagories.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Rumpy
Here was my platform back in the day. I'm going to have to change a few positions though cause of that personal growth crap everyone is always talking about.

Use what you can, and good luck.

Hanging - We believe that when the state exercises its right to execute a criminal that has been convicted of committing a capitol crime; that that execution should be held on a set of gallows specially constructed for just such purpose; and that these gallows be located on the court house lawn in the county where such crime(s) were committed. We also think is should be mandatory for each child enrolled in the public school system of that county to witness such an execution, if they be above age 12. This will bestow these children with a sense of reality.

And why are you not running this year?;)

Seriously, you make some good arguements.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]
el Guapo said:
I did get the permission of the Cyburbia Pride Coordinator beforehand.
That is not me, BTW. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

(Sorry pride-filled individuals)[/ot]

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Dan said:
[ot]

That is not me, BTW. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

(Sorry pride-filled individuals)[/ot]
Go here: Cyburbia Productions

http://www.cyburbiaproductions.com/imagesTemplates/homeGraphic_1R1C2.JPG

This work is based on the premise that audiences desire live theater that responds to the mile-wide, inch-deep faux-realities of life on a media-saturated planet. The artists who make this work employ new technologies, turning them in on themselves, to cast light on the way they shape and re-configure our world. Cyburbia's artists refrain from worshipping at the altar of technology, although they spend many hours faithfully staring at illuminated screens and hovering over their keyboards like praying mantises.

Cyburbia creates original productions, often drawing on historical or science fiction sources; innovative stagings of opera and new music theater; multimedia scenography for theater, dance and performance art; and indoor and outdoor projection installations. Cyburbia’s artists work in the Multimedia Performance Studio, where they experiment with new and traditional stage technologies, and develop imaginative approaches to the integration of these technologies with the live action and music of theater. In order to accomplish this symbiosis, the company operates simultaneously as a performance ensemble, a film and animation production house, a digital garage band and a stagecraft laboratory, all geared toward producing dynamic multimedia performance spectacles.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Cyburbia - Behind the Code - Fabulous Policy

[ot]The Cyburia Pride Coordinator (CPC) is a sub-Glorious Leader (Dan) position that attempts to represent the GLBT Cyburbia Community when the awkward conservative (like me) needs to get a GLBT fact checked or policy reviewed. In the case of rapid Pride-a-zation avatar changes the moderators never invoke the Pride Flag or Mr. Hanky avatars until receiveing clearance from the CPC Duty Officer.

CPC voluntary Duty Officer rotation positions are available by contacting the CPC or by "coming out" on the board and then the CPC will contact you. Membership in the GALIP division of APA is not required.[/ot]

BKM

Cyburbian
Kobayashi said:

Sorry, K.

CHET! The Dykes on Bikes are going to be visiting Wisconsin very soon, and they will be pissed! Edit: Oops: Guapo, I doubt any Dykes on Bikes would want to come anywhere near Kansas. Sorry. :)

K: You have simply replaced jordanb, who was for a while the designated butt of the board. He did handle it much better, btw

biscuit

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
[ot]The Cyburia Pride Coordinator (CPC) is a sub-Glorious Leader (Dan) position that attempts to represent the GLBT Cyburbia Community when the awkward conservative (like me) needs to get a GLBT fact checked or policy reviewed. In the case of rapid Pride-a-zation avatar changes the moderators never invoke the Pride Flag or Mr. Hanky avatars until receiveing clearance from the CPC Duty Officer.

CPC voluntary Duty Officer rotation positions are available by contacting the CPC or by "coming out" on the board and then the CPC will contact you. Membership in the GALIP division of APA is not required.[/ot]
We have a Cyburbia Pride Coordinator? Why that's brilliant... err, I mean fabulous! ;-)

el Guapo

Capitalist
BKM said:
Sorry, K.

CHET! The Dykes on Bikes are going to be visiting Wisconsin very soon, and they will be pissed!

K: You have simply replaced jordanb, who was for a while the designated butt of the board. He did handle it much better, btw

BKM
We mods don't go looking for blood in the water. But on occasion a new member will get real frisky with other members.

1. The newbie gets reported to (Yes - you members do rat out the newbies on occasion) to a moderator.

2. The mods either collectively or individually begin to read the newbie's posts to get a sense of their contribution to crap ratio.

3. A running consensus is often formed via PM's and emails between the mods to keep an eye on a special poster.

4. Once a mod or mod's are convinced that a poster is in need of some corrective action it is often very gentle at first.

5. If that doesn't work I often feel the need to speak candidly to the poster in a public context. It is a roll to which I feel I am well suited. I believe I fill a sort of Sergeant at Arms Position here with my partner in Moderation, Chet.

6. If the poster continues to be a butt, we ask Dan for a banning. He is the final judge.

7. Banned posters have even come back and led happy productive lives here under new names.

8. Screwing with a poster is not something we enjoy, a sport or done for ammusement. It is a deliberate and methodical process, and not something we enjoy, well maybe a little bit. ;)

9. Grudges are not kept. jordanb is one of my favorite posters here. He challenges my notions and keeps me thinking. Once, a long time ago we got into it. I don't cary any hurt feelings and often will complement him on a well stated point of view.

10. There is also an accepted "Cyburbia" way of disagreement. Kick the hell out of the idea not the person. If you can shoot something down do it. But expect from time to time to suffer from having one of your precious notions destroyed. I've been handed my ass here several times. And on more than one occasion I've come creeping back to appologize for my misbehavior.

11. I have no doubt that Kobi will grow to be a valued member of our little village.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
BKM said:
..CHET! The Dykes on Bikes are going to be visiting Wisconsin very soon, and they will be pissed! .......
They are NOT already HERE?!!!! 8-!

:-D Takes real bravery to ride a bike in this state for at least 9 months of the winter! :-D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wow… I am away from a computer (in JordanB’s city and next time I will give you a call to meet up for a beer next time I am in town) and all this happens.

I am going to chime in on my 2 cents (on original topic)

I am a conservative, and people here know it. I don’t think that Bush is the strongest conservative for the job, but I do feel that he is the better candidate. I know that he has stood his ground and made some stupid choices, but I feel that a wishy washy president would cause our country more problems than it would help. If the Democratic Party had a stronger candidate, then I might think of voting for him, but Kerry is not a strong anything in my eyes.

In a side by side list, I agree with W on more things than I do Kerry, and it does not help when he is on both sides of the issues.

As for the thoughts of Kobayashi, I agree and respect your final choice, not too sure how I feel about the way that you arrived there. I however think that accusing and directing anger towards Chet might not be the best way to state your point.

boiker

Cyburbian
K, giving the last word is not always giving the best word. It seems that you feel you need the last word, even if it isn't a counter-argument, factoid, or other statement that beefs up your point of view.

You seem to hold some conservative values and some liberal values.. vote the Republicrat ticket.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
boiker said:
K, giving the last word is not always giving the best word. It seems that you feel you need the last word, even if it isn't a counter-argument, factoid, or other statement that beefs up your point of view.

You seem to hold some conservative values and some liberal values.. vote the Republicrat ticket.
Regarding the last word, good obervation :) It is true, and a problem i've dealt with for many years.

Regarding Chet, .............. nevermind..... :)

michaelskis said:
As for the thoughts of Kobayashi,not too sure how I feel about the way that you arrived there.
Are you referring to the post made in the student lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.