• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Top 10 Movie Villains

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Since we love talking about Top 10 lists and the movies;
How about this list from USA Today, Friday June 25, 2004

1. Darth Vader, Star Wars
Any half-man, half-machine willing to kill his children if they don't join daddy's firm is something to hiss about. His 11th-hour change of heart also gave us a reason to ultimately love the big lug.

2. Norman Bates, Psycho
One of Hollywood's first serial killers, played by Anthony Perkins, pushed the envelope of what studios were willing to put on film. Co-star Janet Leigh says she started taking baths after the film's horrific shower scene. And she knew it was just a movie.

3. Bruce, the shark from Jaws
The film warned ''Don't go in the water,'' and we didn't. How many movie villains scare us enough to give up swimming? Bruce was as frightening when you didn't see him as when you did.

4. Hannibal Lecter, Silence of the Lambs
As refined a killer as they come. Anthony Hopkins' turn won him an Oscar and made it impossible to eat fava beans without thinking of a Census-taker's liver.

5. Nurse Ratched, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Louise Fletcher managed the most understated villain ever. Without lifting a finger or even her voice, Ratched made Jack Nicholson's antisocial character, McMurphy, look like an Eagle Scout.

6. Hal 9000, 2001: A Space Odyssey
A detached voice has never been so frightening. Hal managed to scare the pants off us while embodying a deeper message about the ills of a technological world.

7. Jack Torrance, The Shining
What would a villain's list be without Jack Nicholson? The creepiest thing Stephen King has ever put on screen, only Nicholson could steal ''Here's Johnny'' from Johnny Carson.

8. Alex Forrest, Fatal Attraction
Still the scariest movie any married man has seen. Glenn Close's character put the term ''bunny boiler'' into the adulterer's lexicon.

9. The hillbillies from Deliverance
Try this: go camping with some friends and whistle the opening bars of Dueling Banjos. Those woodsmen, including Bill McKinney and Herbert Coward, who menaced Ned Beatty (center), did more to set back the image of Southerners than The Beverly Hillbillies.

10. Freddy Krueger, A Nightmare on Elm Street
Robert Englund's Freddy was absurdly evil, but he introduced an indestructible slasher who still haunts.

BKM

Cyburbian
Can I add a couple? :)

PINHEAD, from the gory but interesting Hellraiser Series "Oh come, Kirstie, no more tears....They are such a waste of good suffering." and my favorite: "We have centuries to learn what makes you wimper. All intoned in a stern British Shakespearian voice.

HENRY FONDA'S CHARACTER in the classic Once Upon a Time in the West. THAT is classic amoral evil.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Ok here are Mine,

The "Smoking Man" from the X-Files.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer:

The "Mayor" because of the GOP facade he wore.
"Adam" because he was the modern "Frankenstien" gone wrong.
"Glory" because the eldar gods were shown to be Valley girls with the urge to shop AND "enslave the rest of the world".

Angel:

Wolf Ram & Hart, A legal firm at the heart of all evil. Its SO APPRPRIATE! :-D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNA said:
B-) :p
Cardinal ...to Heddy Lamar...
Hedley Lamarr: That's *Hedley*.

According to http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0071230/quotes
He said that at least twice in the movie.
All I can say is...

"I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh*t-kickers and Methodists."

BKM

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Ok here are Mine,

The "Smoking Man" from the X-Files.
:-D
The Smoking Man is the EPITOME of American realpolitic spooks. Do Dick Cheney, Perle, or Rumsfeld smoke?

el Guapo

Capitalist
BKM said:
The Smoking Man is the EPITOME of American realpolitic spooks. Do Dick Cheney, Perle, or Rumsfeld smoke?
I've actually used him as my avatar here before. And don't think I would't allow an alien race to turn every last one of you in to space-slaves if it meant the advancement of the Haliburton-NeoCon agenda. :)

el Guapo said:
And don't think I would't allow an alien race to turn every last one of you in to space-slaves if it meant the advancement of the Haliburton-NeoCon agenda. :)
aren't we already all cyber-space slaves?

I think the conspiracy has begun. :-D

Tom R

Cyburbian
bad guys?

A couple more-
Robert Mitchum's role in the original Cape Fear
Glenn Close's role in Fatal Attraction
The Sta-puft Marshmellow Man in Ghost Busters

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction. When he starts quoting Ezekiel, oh, man.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
John Milton from the Devils Advocate should be number one. He looks scary, and the mind game is truly frightening.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
the Joker from Batman (1989)

Christine (the 1958 Plymouth Fury)

Super Amputee Cat said:
I can't believe they didn't rank Linda Fiorentino for her role in The Last Seduction. Should be #1 in fact. If you've ever seen the movie you know what I'm talking about.
That's one of my favorite movies!

Stephen King has the best villains. What about Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates) from Misery or Cujo ?

otterpop

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Since we love talking about Top 10 lists and the movies;
How about this list from USA Today, Friday June 25, 2004

1. Darth Vader, Star Wars
Any half-man, half-machine willing to kill his children if they don't join daddy's firm is something to hiss about. His 11th-hour change of heart also gave us a reason to ultimately love the big lug.
I thought Darth was a great villain, till he wussed out at the end. If you are going to be a bad guy, at least stay that way. I don't give you a pass of a lifetime of evil just cuz at the last moment you see the light.

When it comes to great villains, lets not forget the Nazis in the Indiana Jones movies. When it comes to villians you can't improve on Nazis.

That British officer in "The Patriot" who killed Mel Gibson's kid and burned the people up in the church, he was pretty nasty too.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
The characters played by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern in Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.

I hated Nixon, the Customs Director in the "The Terminal".

Darth Vader is my absolute favorite. I just watched the original trilogy yesterday.

otterpop said:
I thought Darth was a great villain, till he wussed out at the end. If you are going to be a bad guy, at least stay that way. I don't give you a pass of a lifetime of evil just cuz at the last moment you see the light.

I just hope George doesn't make Episode 3 all G-Rated for the kiddies. There are some very important events that have to happen in 2 +/- hours.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I thought Daniel Day Lewis played a really good villain in Gangs of New York. For some reason I'm drawing a blank on a lot of other villains.

I can think of a lot of lame villains though. The one from Temple of Doom (the bald dude) was awful. Bleh.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
The house in The Shining , and the demon in The Exorcist . Those were both pretty freaky. Alex from Clockwork Orange . He was a nasty piece of work.

Not the greatest movie, but when I read Wolfen, I could not sleep. I do not normally read horror books but this one was so well-written and the ideas seemed so plausible... god, I am glad most writer's of horror don't intrigue me that much! I am too sensitive to this stuff to begin with. :-0

So my vote goes for the "werewolves" in Wolfen

tsc

Cyburbian
I know it got a lot of play in the 100 best songs...but the Miss Gulch/Wicked Witch in Oz was pretty good. Scared the crap out of a lot of kids.

Kathy Bates was very good in Misery...she was so out there...and seemed so common... which made it better.

boiker said:
Who played Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs?. that's scary.
I don't know but for some reason that reminded me of the Kevin Spacey character in Seven . He was straight up creepy!! :-c