• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Toronto Laefest Days

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
As posted by Cardinal in the "Chicago Laefest Days" thread,
On Thursday we'll be driving to Toronto.
Depending on whether Cardinal and JNL drive straight through or break up their journey, they'll be arriving in Toronto either very late Thursday (June 17th) or sometime on Friday (June 18th). As the designated "Toronto Laefest Co-ordinator", I'm proposing that the Toronto Laefest be held on Saturday June 19th, to give out-of-towners a chance to make it up here.

Use this thread to confirm your attendence, suggest a venue, or ask any questions. I'm hoping for a good turnout - at a minimum I guess it will be donk, JNL, Cardinal and myself...

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'd love to come, but I'm getting married the previous weekend so whether or not I can make it will be entirely up to the Mrs.. Who wouldn't want to spend their first week of wedded bliss with a bunch of planning geeks? ;-)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Yay! Another Toronto lae-fest! Might have to convince Mr. Plannerbabs to take a little trip north...plus I'm out of Creemore Springs. ;-)...and Toronto's not that much farther north than Chicago...

JNL

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Use this thread to confirm your attendence, suggest a venue, or ask any questions. I'm hoping for a good turnout - at a minimum I guess it will be donk, JNL, Cardinal and myself...
Yep I'll be there and I'm looking forward to it! :)

Rem

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
I'd love to come, but I'm getting married the previous weekend so whether or not I can make it will be entirely up to the Mrs.. Who wouldn't want to spend their first week of wedded bliss with a bunch of planning geeks? ;-)
Just the one planning geek eh Biscuit?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
If your country is not in this ongoing battle, I might be able to make it.;) I think I might want to take the train though.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rumpy Tunanator said:
If your country is not in this ongoing battle, I might be able to make it.;) I think I might want to take the train though.
I can probably give you and other Buffalo-area Cyburbians a ride to Toronto if you don't have other transportation. I won't be staying overnight, though.

Attachments

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Just the one planning geek eh Biscuit?
You got that right my Aussi friend. ;-) Although I fancy myself more of a planning nerd, or even dork, than a geek.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I can probably give you and other Buffalo-area Cyburbians a ride to Toronto if you don't have other transportation. I won't be staying overnight, though.
I might take you up on that offer if I'm not chopped up into little pieces and stored in the freezer by then ;). Are you going back to your parents after Toronto?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
JNL is still hoping to make the Toronto portion (June 17-20) of her around the globe odyessey. Can I get a quick headcount of cyburbanites still interested in a Toronto laefest, to be held Saturday June 19th. Is anyone still interested in coming regardless if JNL can't make it?

Cheers

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Let this be a lesson, Don't let this be repeated please!
From the AP Wire.

Doctors Remove Rods From Man's Stomach

HANOI, Vietnam -- Vietnamese doctors removed three metal construction rods from a man's stomach about a month after he swallowed them in a rice whiskey drinking challenge, an official said Monday.

Huynh Ngoc Son, 22, swallowed the rods, which were 6.7 inches long and 0.2 inches thick, after being dared by his drinking buddies in mid-May, said Dr. Le Quang Nghia of Binh Dan Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City.

Son went to the hospital last week complaining of serious stomach pains, and X-rays revealed the construction bars were lodged in his stomach, Nghia said.

The rods were removed during a 30-minute operation, and Son's stomach was not seriously damaged by the ordeal, Nghia said.

Son was in stable condition Monday and was expected to be discharged from the hospital this week, he said.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
JNL is still hoping to make the Toronto portion (June 17-20) of her around the globe odyessey. Can I get a quick headcount of cyburbanites still interested in a Toronto laefest, to be held Saturday June 19th. Is anyone still interested in coming regardless if JNL can't make it?

Cheers
Alas, Mr. Plannerbabs and I send our regrets. Drink a Creemore (or 3) for us.

donk

Cyburbian
I'll confirm later in the week(thursday) depending on the others that confirm (the more that confirm teh more likely I'll come). If more people attend, I'll try to get out of a commitment that I have. OR I might just see you folks for a few hours, then cut out to do a bike race.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I think I can still make it! It's Father's Day weekend, so I was planning to head back to Buffalo anyhow. :)

donk

Cyburbian
I'll probably just see you folks friday night, let me give this some more thought.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I will be there - still driving JNL up on Thursday. :)

Rumpy? Donk?

Due to a serious lack of funds from my down south escipade, I doubt I can go, unless $40 U.S. will get me anywhere;)

Hey Cardinal, which way are you taking to Toronto, Via the Detriot/Windsor crossing, or are you heading through these parts? I have 2 couches available and a spare room if you guys need a place to stay along the way if necessary.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Tentative Laefest Meet-up

Toronto Tour: Eaton Centre, Queen Street Entrance, Main level (under the Geese) 11:00a.m., Saturday June 19th.

Laefest: Same location as above, 6:00p.m. - we'll head out from there, likely to the St. Lawrence area (BierMarkt, C'est What, Fion McCools, and Jersey Giant).

I'll provide updates if anything changes. I picked the Eaton Centre 'cause I know you know how to get there Dan!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
I'll provide updates if anything changes. I picked the Eaton Centre 'cause I know you know how to get there Dan!
You mean the Sears Centre? :D

Been there a millioun times. See ya' there, eh, notwithstanding any problems I might encountere at the bordere, eh?