• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Toronto Laefest Pictures

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here is the long-awaited chronicle of JNL's journey!

Sorry, but there are no pictures of Wednesday night. Here is the way Thursday morning began. JNL was still missing her bag and a bit tired (I think). The wine was sweet and not particularly noteworthy.

11TL01.jpg

JNL and Maister. Sorry, no duck.

11TL02.jpg

Friday morning at the Distillery. Tranplanner is in the foreground and JNL is hidden behind him. JNL made friends with a dog as we were having lunch. Earlier that morning we stopped for a coffee and Timbits in Greektown.

11TL03.jpg

Toronto does not seem to have many landmarks, but most people will recognize the Flatiron Building.

11TL04.jpg

JNL, Donk, and Mrs. Tranplanner waiting on Saturday morning to ride public transit with the winos and welfare recipients. We rode a combination of subways, trolleys, and buses most of the time we were in Toronto.

11TL05.jpg

Tranplanner, Donk, Dan, JNL and Cardinal under the geese at the Eaton Center. This was the start of Saturday's tour.

11TL06.jpg

No, this was a Laefest, not a lay-fest!

11TL07.jpg

In an effort to improve water quality, Toronto has banned the use of toilets. The unintended consequence of this is large piles of ceramic refuse piled in the streets.

11TL08.jpg

You saw another shot of this in a different thread.

11TL09.jpg

As good planners, we took many pictures of Toronto's scenery, such as these pedestrian crossing signs.

11TL10.jpg

JNL, Donk and Mrs. Tranplanner sitting on a rock. It is a piece of the Canadian Shield. The City of Toronto had it trucked all the way from Canada!

11TL11.jpg

Legalize it!

(Jeff, you still around?)

11TL12.jpg

Toronto is a clean city.

11TL13.jpg

Though we already loved her, JNL's popularity skyrocketed when she returned from the washroom with a large number of attractive women.

11TL14.jpg

Donk was happy to provide his phone number.

Sunday morning began with a trip to Tim Hortons and then across the street to... Wal-Mart!

11TL16.jpg

And here I will have to leave off, as I departed for Wisconsin while the remaining Cyburbians continued to another part of the city. It was a great trip. As I have said, the Cyburbians I met were wonderful folks, and it was no fun leaving them to drive on back here. I'll be looking forward to the next Laefest.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Cardinal, as always, you are too funny! Dan looks great in his "pride" lei!

OK, other Cyburbians on JNL's trip-tik, post those pics!

By the way, what was the upshot of Donks' writing his phone # on that woman's breast?

donk

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
By the way, what was the upshot of Donks' writing his phone # on that woman's breast?

A wedding..........

...........unfortunately, not to me. it was her bachelorette party, the brides maids and others in attendance where easy to look at. Now that I think of it, she still owes me either a song or a table dance though.

I did some searching on the net, it seems that the place turns from the bier market to the meat market after dark on the weekends. I now know where to go to meet girls who like to drink good beer.

As for my pics, i only shot with the AE1, so until I get a scanner nothing. Sorry.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
LMAO...Dan going Al Bundy when donk was writing his number.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Holy crap, best Laefest pictures ever.

Dan, it seems you have a lot of, well, pride in your position as our Great Leader... wish I could have been there.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Straight but not narrow, gang. CYBURBIA PRIDE!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rem said:
At last we can have an Australian Laefest when Dan attends the Sydney Mardi Gras. Can't wait. ;)
Can I meet women there? I hear Australia is one of the last places on the planet where women still dig American guys.

Rem

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Can I meet women there? I hear Australia is one of the last places on the planet where women still dig American guys.
Yes Dan there are many women at Mardi Gras. These women have an attitude to life that you have previously expressed more than a passing interest in. I couldn't say there is a prevailing positive attitude towards American Men - we are a diverse country. I know at least one woman (my secretary) who has a preference for American men. I also know for a fact that many American men attend Mardi Gras in the hope of hooking up. They seem mainly to hail from San Francisco.

I think you should check out the link in my previous post before commenting further.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Here are a few of my shots...my camera isn't that great.

Mrs. Tranplanner and JNL do some shopping

Dan climbs Mt. Yorkville

And persuades the rest of the group to join him...

We were really expecting Budgie to show up for the laefest...

Dan sticks it to the man and enjoys a fine Cuban Cervesa - Fidel would be proud!

Sunday morning found us at that U.S.-owned Canadian institution - Timmy's!

Sunday afternoon, on the boardwalk at Kew Beach. JNL's all too short visit is almost over...sniff :-(

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
looks like a good time

BTW, how much did it cost to have that rock shipped from Canada? :p

Budgie

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
We were really expecting Budgie to show up for the laefest...
I've found my way into a bit of spending cash and have vacation time as of June 1st. The day is approaching my friends. As soon as I can finish work on the details of my cross country glide, I will let you know. [NOT !!!!!!]

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Looks like a great time was had by all. I'm (oof) kicking myself (oof) for not being able to (oof) go. Maybe next time.

donk

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
Looks like a great time was had by all. I'm (oof) kicking myself (oof) for not being able to (oof) go. Maybe next time.
It was even actually pleasant to go to the beach this time.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I uploaded a few more pics:

Group shot in front of Timmy's (L-R: myself, Cardinal, JNL, Donk)

Donk, Mrs. Tranplanner and myself at Kew Beach:

Kensington Market:

Queen Street West:

A not-very-good skyline shot, looking west from the top of Riverdale Park:

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
donk said:
It was even actually pleasant to go to the beach this time.
Sure, sure, rub it in. Seriously, though, glad it was good beach weather for everyone. We'll be up there sooner or later. Mr. Plannerbabs has developed a craving for Timbits, so it will probably be sooner....he's been walking around saying "It's my last jelly."

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Plannerbabs said:
Sure, sure, rub it in. Seriously, though, glad it was good beach weather for everyone. We'll be up there sooner or later. Mr. Plannerbabs has developed a craving for Timbits, so it will probably be sooner....he's been walking around saying "It's my last jelly."
Just let us know - you'd be more than welcome at Chateau Tranplanner.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Just let us know - you'd be more than welcome at Chateau Tranplanner.
Aww, thanks. Same offer applies here, assuming there's something here the Tranplanners would be interested in doing. :-}

donk

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
BEK and I will expect royal treatment when we cross the border into Canada sometime in the future. :)

When you come, we'll make sure that we choose a lounge with nice comfy chesterfields. ;)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
donk said:
When you come, we'll make sure that we choose a lounge with nice comfy chesterfields. ;)
You have to....this scene definitely would need to be recreated. ;-)

(I love bringing this pic back every once in a while)

Attachments