• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Certification TPCB- Road Safety Professional certification.

roadgeek

I already have my AICP certification from the American Planning Association and the Professional Transportation Planner (PTP) certification from the Transportation Professional Certification Board (a sub-set of Institute of Transportation Engineers). I have read that the TPCB has recently released a new two level credential for certification, the Road Safety Professional (RSP). I am wondering whether I ought to consider dusting off the study books and work towards taking this.

RSP Level 1: Those achieving Level 1 certification will have demonstrated proficiency in the foundations of road safety principles. The exam is for a broad audience of professionals who in the performance of their work make decisions or take actions that potentially impact the safety of the traveling public. This includes those in the engineering, motor vehicle, behavioral, law enforcement, and emergency response communities.

Some of my colleagues in the private sector consulting realm have earned their RSP1. They all have engineering degrees though. I am wondering whether this certification might be worth looking into coming from a transportation planner background.

Thoughts?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
How long have you been in the field? Are you in the public or private realm? I've found that these types of certifications seem to be more common for those in the private sector that are mid-career or less. In my experience, if you've got 20+ years of direct experience, people are less concerned if you have a certificate or not.

That being said, if you don't mind the studying (and especially if your employer pays for the exam/ CE), then go for it. Adding to the resume is always a good thing!

Planit

Cyburbian
Probably wouldn't hurt, especially if your employer will pay for it (or a portion thereof)

roadgeek

I am in the public sector, approximately 15 years of experience. I feel it may give me the opportunity to study and stay up on my toes about the real considerations that go into assessing road safety.

How long have you been in the field? Are you in the public or private realm? I've found that these types of certifications seem to be more common for those in the private sector that are mid-career or less. In my experience, if you've got 20+ years of direct experience, people are less concerned if you have a certificate or not.

That being said, if you don't mind the studying (and especially if your employer pays for the exam/ CE), then go for it. Adding to the resume is always a good thing!

glutton

Cyburbian
Interesting, I hadn’t heard of this but am interested in learning more about Vision Zero at a deeper level! Is it quite extensive or can you prepare in in a few weeks since it looks like there are no summer exam dates? Might be something good to do while quarantined...

Last edited:

glutton

Cyburbian
@roadgeek Also, did you end up taking the PTP? How was it? Seems a lot cheaper and more straightforward than AICP once you figure in allllll the associated yearly costs of AICP. How hard / how long would you say you need to study for the PTP or Road Safety one?