• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Traffic Calming - tabled intersections

LTrain

Cyburbian
Do tabled intersections actually slow traffic ? We are considering them on a mixed use street that is getting some street improvements over the next few years. Thoughts ?

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I can't quote any studies, but in my opinion, vertical traffic calming really isn't that effective. It may slow traffic for a little bit, but drivers will speed up after to make up for lost time. I do know that cyclists hate vertical calming, and it . I think smaller curb radii, bumpouts, textured pavement, or a mini-roundabout would be just as effective. Psychological traffic calming (on-street parking, street trees, etc.) also works.

That being said, the municipality where I work, and the core city in the region, are both true believers in vertical traffic calming. Speed tables are very popular where I live. I was "persuaded" to add them into a FBC I'm writing, where earlier drafts prohibited all vertical calming. There's a lot of traffic congestion, bike traffic, and very rough pavement, though, so I don't think tables do much more to slow down traffic.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Dan - narrowing streets, separating out lanes for bicycles, boulevard-like layouts, street trees, and mini round-abouts all are much more effective than any kind of speed bump or tabling -

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I wouldn't underestimate the amount of noise speed tables generate, either. The "thump - thump" of mounting, demounting, and the sound of acceleration as drivers pull away (usually trying to make up for lost time). In a residential area, that noise may well be a deal-breaker. Put me down with Dan's suggestions.