• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Traffic counters

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I am not sure if this needs to go here or the Information Technology subforum but here it goes...

I am in the market for new traffic counters. Our old counters are MetroCount 5600's which were purchased 18 years ago and they have started to fail. I am in the market for new counters. The metrocount's are pneumatic tube counters. I am open to new technology if I can get the same level of accuracy or better. I am curious as to what is being used and I'd like to hear what works and what doesn't.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
We will do counts for projects and see what the demands on a particular road are. We use the old tubes method and they work fine. We looked the lazar method but passed due to expense and some other concerns. Slightly OT. In the early part of my career, I'd get farmed out occasionally to the transportation division to help with the tubes. Not for the faint of heart.:eek::oops:

Slideruler

Cyburbian
The agency I work for uses only pneumatic tube counters for right now. The DOT in our state requires classification counts by axle and radar counters do not have the technological capabilities to do that yet.