• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

training requirements for PC & ZBA members

SpartaClone

I understand that Kentucky has recently mandated continuing education for local planning commission members (8 hours every 2 years, I believe). Can anyone tell me whether any other states have similar requirements? Along the same line, can anyone point me to municipalities that have adopted some type of continuing education requirements for PC and/or ZBA requirements in their local ordinances? Thanks.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Tennessee just passed a law in July mandating mandatory continuing education. I know it applies to planners, but not sure about commissioners.

Also AICP has a pilot mandatory continuing education requirement in Ohio, New Jersey, Montana, S and N Dakota and Idaho. The test period ends next June, then they are supposed to vote on whether to make continuing ed mandatory nationwide for AICP certified planners.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would wholly support a law in Wisconsin that mandated Plan Commissioner training. We have commissioners that really are not aware of their powers, responsibilities, and duties. Ethics should also be a key part of that training. We have had a few situations where I wanted to scream at some of the comments that they made.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Pennsylvania Planning Assoc. puts on several municiapl govt workshops every year for all the citizen planners, ZHBers, etc.

It's not a state requirement that they attend, but I'm sure they are "strongly encouraged" by the municipalities they represent.

The Louisiana APA Chapter lobbied state legislators to adopt a bill that requires PC & BZA members to have at least 3 hours of mandatory training. The bill was well-received but has not been adopted yet.

old man

Mandatory Training

South Carolina has new legislation that reguires training of board & commisssion members. It should be law this summer.

I would love love love for NY to get such a mandate. We have members that have been on our board for thirty plus years and haven't been to any sort of training seminar in at least twenty years, if at all.

Tom R

Cyburbian
classes

We put on classes and workshops on a regular basis and unless the County Prosecutor is on the Bill, turnout is poor, just the usual suspects. Training for trustees, BZA menbers and Planning Commission members is sorely needed. I salute KY!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Training is offered for city council members in Wisconsin, but not all choose to go. If training were offered for plan board members, some, but not all would attend. If it was made mandatory, the likely result would be that we would not be able to find people to serve. I do not know what the situation is in other places, but in most of the communities in which I have worked, it can be difficult to find the candidates to fill vacancies.