• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Training $$

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We've been talking about conferences and training alot here.

What do your employers budget for you on an annual basis?

Around here its:

1. National Planning Conference for the Director (but I alternate years with Prudence since I am so nice).

2. National ESRI User Conference for the GIS Coordinator

3. APA State Chapter conference for 2-3 Planning staff (out of 5 professional staff)

4. Enough extra to cover 2-3 miscellaneous 2-3 day seminars for each employee.

5. ESRI State Users Group for 2 employees.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
This year (but probably not next):

APA National for Director (my boss) and Town Planner (me)
APA Chapter Conference for both
State Conference for both
Chapter AICP Professional Development Workshop for both
ED workshops for Director

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Umm...

One year I got $800 to go to a 3-day ArcInfo class.

No $ for conferences at all. No $ for local seminars at all. I go to as many free things as possible, because career development doesn't appear on the radar screen here. I may shell out the money for APA myself this year. I am still waiting for my reimbursement for the AICP exam from last May.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I have been sneaky, adding about $500/year to the budget. Last year it was $2000. So I can go as far as that takes me. Departments can spend from other lines, so as long as the total isn't exceeded I can go. I usually do the Iowa Chapter meeting and the Upper Midwest. I was planning on Denver, but
now I may not go.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
giff57 said:
I have been sneaky, adding about $500/year to the budget. Last year it was $2000. So I can go as far as that takes me. Departments can spend from other lines, so as long as the total isn't exceeded I can go. I usually do the Iowa Chapter meeting and the Upper Midwest. I was planning on Denver, but
now I may not go.
The next Upper Midwest Meeting is in Milwaukee, October 2003. Probably means I'll get tapped for some blasted committee...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Usually 3-4 in-state 2-day conferences. Two national conferences in six years, but also two out-of-state training programs.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We have a large dept. and big travel budget, but it's usually eaten up by the director and his best buds going to the national APA conference. Out of over 20 planners, maybe 3 get to go to the state conference each year, and some have never had a turn. I got to go last year when state was in Orlando (basically in-town for us) but had to get a generic badge (just my first initial) so I could "share" with another planner.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Here we go to whatever we want, includes any type of advanced education. We just submit a tuition reimbursment, and get it back a year later if still employed.

We don't have to do that for mandatory conferences, seminars, etc. They just get payed for.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

There's lots of "in-house" training courses available (resume writing, interview skills, how to care for elderly parents (?!)), but absolutely zero dollars for conferences or out-of-town seminars. Unless you are a director of course.

donk

Cyburbian
Get to go to my local branch meetings and regional meeting (if its not in NFLD)

Get to go to CIP when in the region (but not NFLD)

The odd other course or conference if it is close and not too expensive.

We keep talking about going to the NE APA meetings if they are in Maine.

One of my conditions for accepting this job was that I be allowed to attend APA conferences (note the plural). It also helps that I'm an officer in the local chapter and and state chapters.

For overnight gigs, the town will pay for registration, but not travel or lodging. I usually attend the state GIS users conference, and occasionally the chapter apa mtg.