• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Traitor or Aiding the Enemy?

Jeff

Cyburbian
I've changed my whole position on the war this morning.

I say bring all the boys home. Most of the world doesn't want war, so F them. They can deal with this guy whenever his plans come to fruition.

I'm more ready for anything that could happen here than most people. So bring it on. Unless something happens here I just don't care anymore.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Mike D. said:
I've changed my whole position on the war this morning.

I say bring all the boys home. Most of the world doesn't want war, so F them. They can deal with this guy whenever his plans come to fruition.

I'm more ready for anything that could happen here than most people. So bring it on. Unless something happens here I just don't care anymore.

That is just how I am feeling as well. So what if Sadam feels smug about it. I feel very uncomfortable with us being the only military force doing this. Our guys shouldn't have to die to make the region better for these jerks who could give a F

Jeff

Cyburbian
bturk said:
So why the paradigm shift, Mike D?

I'm just so sick of all the anti-war proponents, weak ass countries like France, etc.

You get what you ask for. Like I said, I'm ready for anything that happens over here. I'm done caring about the rest of the world.

Funny how all the naysayers aren't booking vacations to exotic Baghdad though...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike D. said:

You get what you ask for. Like I said, I'm ready for anything that happens over here. I'm done caring about the rest of the world.

So...2004 will be the year of Pat Buchanan for Prez!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Careful dont lump all the anti-war folks into one lump some of us dont think its all blood for oil crap etc. some of us just have a major problem with the whole caviler attitude. Saddam is a jerk, but im not buying his link to Bin Ladden.

has the man gotta go-yup, do we have to be the one nation to do it RIGHT NOW im not so sure.

i think we are digging ourselves into a heck of a mess that is going to drag on.

but hey its just my thoughts on the matter.

Jeff

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:

has the man gotta go-yup, do we have to be the one nation to do it RIGHT NOW im not so sure.

My point exactly...the whole world wants a "regime change" there is no denying that fact. The only way to get rid of him is to go in and get him. He isn't exactly coming out with his hands up!

So the rest of the world will follow our coattails if we do all the dirty work and go in and get him, but they want nothing to do with us in the meantime.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Some people have questioned if there is justification for going to war. Duh? Look around; consider the history. Justification, however, does not mean that war is the best strategy. I believe in using other techniques than sending in US troops to fight, killing Iraqi non-combatants, getting killed themselves, and creating a worse political situation in the Middle East. Not favoring war does not preclude action, or violent action at that.

As for the countries like france that want to ignore the issue (so that they can benefit from Iraq's oil), I am in agreement with Mike. Let them pay the consequences. Only, the future acts of terrorists and saddam will be directed against the US, so I would like to propose a new UN resolution. This one would allow 'inspections' to continue in Iraq indefinitely. If, however, the inspections fail and Iraq uses or supplies weapons that are used against the US, the US would be granted the authority to unilaterally strike either france or Iraq, at its sole discretion.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Rick

Mike D. said:

My point exactly...the whole world wants a "regime change" there is no denying that fact. The only way to get rid of him is to go in and get him. He isn't exactly coming out with his hands up!

So the rest of the world will follow our coattails if we do all the dirty work and go in and get him, but they want nothing to do with us in the meantime.
I guess the bottom line is what you and I say or do don't amount to a hill of beans. Things that are going to happen are going to happen and "we" have no control.

It has been a good discussion though.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Pittifully thinking that at this time you could just cancel out the war, it's quite imposible,there is going to be a war, it's extremely probable, and a tendency quite unstopable.
The consequences of a war in Irak perpetraded unilaterally by the US will bring heavy consequences to the US, terrorist attacks in the US and on embassies and US interests.

If posible the war should be put on hold, and in the mean time gather support for a multilateral action, if and only IF Irak gets caught with unauthorized weaponry or attacks some country or even itself.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Clear and Present Danger?

Mike D. said:

Something did happen here.

If we ignore the middle east, while still maintaining a relationship with Israel, it would just become a haven for militant Islamic groups.

Not that they would fly planes into buildings, bomb embassies, hijack cruise ships, blow holes in U.S. warships, or anything like that...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
SkeLeton said:
Pittifully thinking that at this time you could just cancel out the war, it's quite imposible,there is going to be a war, it's extremely probable, and a tendency quite unstopable.
The consequences of a war in Irak perpetraded unilaterally by the US will bring heavy consequences to the US, terrorist attacks in the US and on embassies and US interests.

I agree on one point, that none of us here are going to stop what may have too much inertia for anyone to stop.

But... I think the "consequences" are already happening. Terrorist attacks? Cut me a break... They have already happened, and will CONTINUE to happen, unless we hunt the bastards down and eliminate them.

"We believe that the biggest thieves in the world and the terrorists are the Americans. The only way for us to fend off these assaults is to use similar means. We do not differentiate between those dressed in military uniforms and civilians; they are all targets in this fatwa." - Osama bin Laden

SkeLeton said:
If posible the war should be put on hold, and in the mean time gather support for a multilateral action, if and only IF Irak gets caught with unauthorized weaponry or attacks some country or even itself.

The "world" would put the war on hold indefinately... I don't think we should let a bunch of cheese farting frogs decide how best to defend our nation. Oh... they've already been caught with unauthorized weaponry several times, and the U.N. does nothing. Except extend deadlines...